Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#116851 - 12/21/07 03:44 AM Re: Pet food as food? [Re: wildman800]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I asked the dogs and they said:

"Sure, come on by. The venison will be gone soon".

Edited by GarlyDog (12/21/07 04:13 AM)

#116856 - 12/21/07 04:20 AM Re: Pet food as food? [Re: MichaelJ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well...

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I've used Meow Mix as bait in fish and crawfish traps before. Works well, better than the food pellets they serve fish in hatcheries.

Canned food would work as bait for traps targeting smaller predators and scavengers.

As for human consumption, grind/crush the dry into powder and use it with flour, turn it into a gruel or to thicken stock. The canned, soup or mix with a dry starch source and make patties. Not the best tasting option, but it would work. Pretty much anything a cat or dog can eat, humans can. But I also feed my animals better than the grade of horror that Susan mentioned.

Food for pet rodents, probably treat it like dry cat/dog food. Most bird seed is also edible as is by humans, or just needs cracking.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#116857 - 12/21/07 04:30 AM Re: Pet food as food? [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Same thing happened a couple of times when when of the vet supply companies made simliar offers.

As far as I can tell, penicillin and tetracycline should be the same for human as for animal, but I'm not a microbiologist or pharmacist. I will say safely that vet suture kits and human suture kits are pretty much interchangeable. *lifts my beard so the scar can be seen* As should be hypos and sterile saline and the like.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#116858 - 12/21/07 04:35 AM Re: Pet food as food? [Re: ironraven]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
From a previously employed crawfisherman, hoopnetter, crab fisherman, and sometimes outlaw (in the old, old days):

Fish work very well for crab and crawfish traps after being left under the hot sun for a day.

Cans of tuna fish with holes punched through each flat side; gunny sacks that have a few pounds of rice or dog food (dry) dropped into the water at a nice shady spot over deep water provides for VERY good fishing most of the time you drop a hook into that water.

Hoopnets set into pairs with a "seine" net strung between them.

These are some ways to assure a good supply of food with very little interruption.

#116859 - 12/21/07 04:37 AM Re: Pet food as food? [Re: dougwalkabout]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

There are potential long term issues with GM crops, but so far none of the fears of crazy allergies have really born fruit.

Something people don't think about in the US is the use by dates. Most of us let them slip by for a bit, but restaurants and food services can not, nor can they usually fridge the left overs after service. A lot of food shelves and soup kitchens could use "recycled food", which isn't the same as dumpster diving. And it comes under "good samaritan" guidelines at the federal level, so it is safe. But if you call it "recycled food", people freak out- the same people who would eat a t-bone that has been sitting in their fridge for two weeks after purchasing. In the past I've had to use soup kitchens a few times- I honestly didn't care.

Same thing- people get funny about what goes in their mouth. Pride is a part of it.

#116862 - 12/21/07 04:57 AM Re: Pet food as food? [Re: wildman800]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Agreed. Pet food can be better used to catch more tasty food.

#117105 - 12/22/07 03:27 AM Re: Pet food as food? [Re: GarlyDog]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"There are potential long term issues with GM crops, but so far none of the fears of crazy allergies have really born fruit."

One of the main problems with GM crops is that we have no choice in the matter. They are contaminating the carefully raised and collected seeds of crops that have a wider genetic base than what scientists are producing. Seeds with a narrow genetic base could conceivably meet up with some kind of disease or pest that wipes them out, and what do you think will happen then?

The creators and owners of GM crops have lied from the beginning. They said they would be cheaper -- they're not, they're quite expensive, but just wait until that's all there is. They said the pollen wouldn't travel far -- it does. They said it wouldn't make any difference to livestock -- the livestock won't eat it unless it's the only choice they have.

The owners of the GM seeds are sueing farmers for raising GM crops because they didn't buy the seeds from the patent owner, despite the farmers having no choice because the GM plants are cross-polinating their previously clean crops. When GM crops first came out, the scientists swore on a stack of Bibles that the pollen wouldn't travel more than 1/8 of a mile. The pollen is in the stratosphere, and is contaminating crops in countries where GM crops are not allowed (like England).

I think of the GM crops like African Killer Bees: they move into a new area, cross with the gentle Italian honey bee, and now you've got killer honey bees.

They are using taxpayers money to create these GM crops, and they are in production without actually knowing what the longterm results will be. "Perfectly safe" they say, when they don't really know, because they put them on the market with no testing. "Perfectly safe"... like DDT and Agent Orange.

They are being forced on people throughout the world (esp poor countries) even if they don't want them.

From WebMD: "When [Dr.] Pusztai [Scotland] fed rats GM potatoes genetically engineered to produce a supposedly safe insecticide called the GNA lectin, all the animals showed potentially pre-cancerous cell growths, smaller brains, livers and testicles, partially atrophied livers, and damaged to the immune system--with most changes appearing after just 10 days. Since other rats fed normal potatoes spiked with GNA lectin--even 700 times more GNA lectin than was present in the GM potatoes--did not develop these problems, Pusztai's results indicated that the problem lay with genetic engineering process itself. And that meant that all GM foods created from the same process, including those already on the market, might produce unintended ill effects."

Also from WebMD: 'Reality is that the FDA has absolutely no GMO safety testing requirements, and GM ingredients are ubiquitous in prepared foods. Unless a processed food contains only organic ingredients, it is highly likely to contain GM ingredients. The "research" that supports GMO safety is voluntarily provided by companies on their own GM crops and has been described by critics as "meticulously designed to avoid finding problems".'

But read the whole thing on GM foods from WebMD yourself, it's very interesting (it starts about 1/3 of the way down the page): http://blogs.webmd.com/integrative-medic...ss-archive.html

Two years ago, it was discovered in Canada and the U.S. that pigs fed GM feed were showing an increase in lack of conception, and some were producing just bags of water. You wanted grandchildren?

From PigProgress.net: "GM-fed pigs -- New scientific evidence, revealed in the report, indicates that small amounts of GM DNA end up in the animal tissues and milk of GM-fed pigs and other animals. "This is contrary to assurances by the Food Standards Association," says the report. The effects of such GM DNA are alarming – "lesions in the gut, unexplained deaths and stunted offspring growth"."

And "60% of the maize and 30% of the soya used in feed by pig and dairy farmers originates from GM crops - the study found. In addition, it highlighted the fact that most supermarkets are permitting the use of GM feed in their meat supplies. "None of this food is labelled correctly as genetically modified due to a loophole in the law," the association commented."

An interesting article from Greenpeace on what Monsanto is doing:
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/monsanto-pig-patent-111

Like many other things, most Americans believe what they're told. Pity about the Santa Claus thing, though.

Sue

#117303 - 12/23/07 09:02 PM Re: Pet food as food? [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
...that virtually all domestic dog and cat food made in the USA is safe for human consumption.
That's also my understanding in the UK. It may be made from the less appetising animal parts but if it's nourishing enough for my cats it's a resource for me. You need to watch for vitamin deficiency but that's true for any mono-diet (cf rabbit-starvation).

Frankly I'd rate it above the produce of certain human fast-food outlets.

#117334 - 12/24/07 01:11 AM Re: Pet food as food? [Re: Brangdon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Frankly I'd rate it above the produce of certain human fast-food outlets.

Yes, the four legged featherless genetically engineered chickens raised in large metal enclosed sheds in Thailand aren't particularly appetising either. The Horror, the Horror. sick

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/24/07 01:13 AM)

#117409 - 12/24/07 08:36 PM Re: Pet food as food? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Molot Offline
Stranger

Loc: USA
Ive seen the homeless eat it all the time. They may not be in the best health but they are alive.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 346 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.