Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#116365 - 12/18/07 04:14 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have never had any great problems using a Bic. In the sticks I carry several along with lifeboat matches and a sparking bar. Every day carry I chose a Mini-Bic and have never had an issue. I like the Mini because I don't smoke and seldom need a lighter but like to have one. A small lighter makes the burden acceptable.

The only potential problems with the Mini-Bic is that it is so small if my hands were frozen it might be a problem and it has less fuel. Of course living in Florida frozen hands aren't much of a issue and not smoking I just don't use enough fuel to justify the larger version.

When I do get out into the sticks the full sized Bic might make more sense.

I have seen people use all sorts of lighters with highly spotty results.

I used to carry a Zippo. Worked fine but when I overfilled it it ate the skin on my thigh where the fuel leaked out. A couple of times when I didn't fill it it ran out of fuel. Traditional and 'manly' the Zippo has a lot of cache but it is heavy, bulky and, IMHO, not as reliable as a Bic. If I was a smoker and felt the need to have my machismo reinforced the Zippo would be good around town.

I have seen several fairly expensive refillable butane lighters fail in various ways. Saw a $100 one where the refill valve leaked so that by the third day he was out of fuel even though it was only used a couple of times.

A common observation is that many of the 'windproof' models aren't. And the ones with all the seals aren't all really sealed. At least with a Bic I know if it is not sealed with tape or in a bag I need to get it out and dry it off if I end up in the drink. The ones that look like they are sealed can give you a false sense of security.

#116378 - 12/18/07 06:21 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: billym]
MedicineMan Offline

Loc: upper east TN
marine flares

#116379 - 12/18/07 06:49 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: CANOEDOGS]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I agree on the bic too. I find it much more reliable than the jet type. Every jet type lighter I have every bought and tried has failed, from cheap to not cheap.

I have had bics go through the washer & dryer even and work fine after I find it in my pocket. It lost some fuel, probably from getting depressed, but it still lit up first try. I have yet to use up the fuel in a bic or cricket lighter either. I buy half a dozen every other year and rotate out my stock.

Interestingly, I have found the peanut lighter (cheap) to be great at preserving fuel, unlike the zippo which goes dry within two weeks. I have a handful of those scattered around in various kits too. I check them every six months or so and after about a year and a half, I haven't refueled and they still light. I will top off the fuel at the two year mark when I rotate the bics. I also have a nice Dunhill (expensive) and that holds fuel very well too. I haven't refilled it in about four years and it still lights up.

And I second the road flare for emergency, gotta have fire now, backup fire in the pack. I have never needed it here in Hawaii, but it can get cold at night.

#116384 - 12/18/07 12:25 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: aloha]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Please, take no offense, I mean no disrespect but?
Originally Posted By: aloha

And I second the road flare for emergency, gotta have fire now, backup fire in the pack. I have never needed it here in Hawaii, but it can get cold at night.

I'm sure our forum friends from up north are just laughing their fannies off at that statement. I guess that on top of the volcanoes it will get cold and all, but really. Reminds me of the time we took the kids to DisneyWorld in FL in February. It was about 55 or 60 degrees, I was wearing short sleeves and the Disney folks were in parkas with earmuffs and gloves. As Einstein said, it's all relative.

If I could spell it I'd wish you Merry Christmas in Hawaiian! (That darn song gets stuck in my mind this time of year)

Andy

#116434 - 12/18/07 06:41 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi CANOEDOGS

The best lighter I've come across is the Brunton FireStorm. It waterproof, windproof and very reliable.

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=6

DR has a quick review at
http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=20

I even prefer it to the Brunton Helios Stormproof lighter.

#116508 - 12/19/07 04:38 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: Andy]
duckear Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Andy

If I could spell it I'd wish you Merry Christmas in Hawaiian! (That darn song gets stuck in my mind this time of year)

Andy

Mele Kalikimaka!

#116867 - 12/21/07 07:15 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: duckear]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Mahalo duckear. You beat me to it. Here it is with "and a Happy New Year!"

Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

#116868 - 12/21/07 07:46 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: Andy]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Andy
Please, take no offense, I mean no disrespect but?
Originally Posted By: aloha

I'm sure our forum friends from up north are just laughing their fannies off at that statement. I guess that on top of the volcanoes it will get cold and all, but really. Reminds me of the time we took the kids to DisneyWorld in FL in February. It was about 55 or 60 degrees, I was wearing short sleeves and the Disney folks were in parkas with earmuffs and gloves. As Einstein said, it's all relative.

Andy

Aloha Andy,

No offense taken. When it gets into the 50's, maybe 60's, it just takes me out of my normal personal and business attire of shorts. Come on, we can't have that!

With some of the inclement weather up north, I bet some of our northern forum brothers and sisters might want to take a visit to Hawaii for the holidays.

As unlikely as it may be, you can get hypothermia in 50-60 degree weather, especially if it is rainy and windy. It's been in the 60's here overnight and the wind has been blustery and it's been raining quite a bit, so it is definitely our winter. I am still in shorts, but feel pretty cool.

I remember quite a number of years ago, I went camping up in the mountains from the North Shore area. I had never camped up there before and I wasn't as prepared as I should have been. During the day it was hot, we hiked and played in the streams, caught prawns, picked fruit; and every night I froze my behind off.

On Oahu, we have gone into the 40's and I believe the record low in Hawaii is 12 degrees (on Mauna Kea). Hawaii is the only state to not have had a 0 degree or colder temperature. But I have frozen my fanny off on top of Haleakala when I went up there to watch the sunrise. And we do have snow and skiing, believe it or not.

But you are right, it is all relative.

Everyone stay safe and keep warm.

#116879 - 12/21/07 01:00 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: aloha]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yeah, supposed to get back up to 78 degrees here again today. We got a frost warning the beginning of the week, but it didn't freeze here in Orlando dangit! I had to put on the lightest jacket I could find here for two mornings in a row, but by 10:00 am it was too hot to wear it any longer.

Of course, it is kinda nice to walk out to the back yard and just pick a tangerine or two and start eating them.

It did, however, rain buckets again last night.

I sure am glad I got to go to Denver last week. They had about 4 inches of snow on the south side of town while I was there, with a low of around 12 degrees. Felt so good to be out in it I chapped my lips something fierce. At least I got a taste of it again. Last year this time I flew home from Brisbane to a snow storm in Denver as well. Ended up shoveling the sidewalk in dang near a blizzard. It's a pity the experience doesn't ever last long enough.

#116886 - 12/21/07 01:46 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: benjammin]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
OK Benjammin,

It's about 23F here right now, freezing rain coming down, (not sure how that can happen) and there is about 16" of snow on the ground, so come on up. Good news is my new 4x4 is awesome in this stuff.

Blitz

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.