The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#118229 - 12/31/07 05:49 AM Re: Air rifles [Re: handyman]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: handyman
IMO an air rifle would be an EXTREMELY poor choice for hunting anything except maybe very small birds or mice . Wether it was a rabbit or squirrel , it would have to be a close range head shot . If you did hit a rabbit with an air rifle , it might kill it but it would probably be a slow death . The rabbit would more than likely get away and hide only to die a slow death . With the money it would cost to buy a air rifle that was powerful enough to do the job , you could buy a dozen 22 cal. rifles .

You're really not familiar at all with modern adult airguns, are you? I've killed scores of rabbits, squirrels and pigeons instantly with single shots out to 60 yards with a spring piston .177 Beeman R9. And that's considered a "medium power" airgun. I do try to take head shots, because these guns can do it easily and it's for sure. But body shots to the heart/lung area are equally effective. "Magnum" springers in .22 and .25 are often used to hunt wild turkey, coyote, raccoon, etc. Large bore pre-charged pneumatics (up to .75 caliber) are used to take elk and boar at 100+ yards. I don't care what propels it, a chunk of lead moving at close to or above the speed of sound will definitely bring home dinner. These aren't your grandpa's BB guns.

Kevin B.

#118230 - 12/31/07 06:05 AM Re: Air rifles [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

That is pretty good. I have shot a jillion jacks with a .22lr (solids, not HP) and had them run off with body hits...

That's way too many to keep trying for, OBG. You need to step-up to an airgun. ((( laugh )))

#118231 - 12/31/07 06:06 AM Re: Air rifles [Re: sotto]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: sotto
DO NOT, under any circumstances, buy a German engineered and manufactured Beeman R7 spring/piston airgun!! It only drives a .177 cal pellet at about 700 fps (up to about 600 fps for .20 cal), will only shoot nickel-sized groups or less at 20-25 yards, requires very little cocking force, weighs almost nothing, is short (as in compact), uses old-fashioned real machined steel parts, has real cut checkering on the stock instead of the really nice smooth stylish pressed checkering, comes with just a boring precision finger-adjustable (for windage and elevation) click rear sight, has one of those complex German timepiece Rekord adjustable target triggers that doesn't have any creep and breaks at a pound or so like glass crystal, has that expensive firearm-type polished blue finish that you can see yourself in when you rub it up with an oily cloth, and lasts indefinitely so you don't have any excuse to buy one of those cool realistic pot-metal Beretta or Sigg airsoft-type replica pistols.

Instead, go buy one of those nice new $150 Chinese or Spanish-made 1000 fps Beemans that come with a sexy third-world made scope and combination barrel weight/extender.

This will give me more time to save up enough scratch so that I can order a .177 cal R7 to go with my .20 cal model that I can shoot almost silently in my backyard for hours on end without giving myself tendonitis cocking one of those nice new Chinese or Spanish 1000 fps Beemer screamers.

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Those R7's are known as tack drivers. I was sorely tempted, but thought I needed a bit more power for pest control at the ranch, so I got the R9. It's like everything else, I guess. Gotta have one of each.

Kevin B.

#118242 - 12/31/07 02:48 PM Re: Air rifles [Re: KevinB]
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: KevinB
IMO an air rifle would be an EXTREMELY poor choice for hunting anything except maybe very small birds or mice . Wether it was a rabbit or squirrel , it would have to be a close range head shot . If you did hit a rabbit with an air rifle , it might kill it but it would probably be a slow death . The rabbit would more than likely get away and hide only to die a slow death . With the money it would cost to buy a air rifle that was powerful enough to do the job , you could buy a dozen 22 cal. rifles .

You're really not familiar at all with modern adult airguns, are you? I've killed scores of rabbits, squirrels and pigeons instantly with single shots out to 60 yards with a spring piston .177 Beeman R9. And that's considered a "medium power" airgun. I do try to take head shots, because these guns can do it easily and it's for sure. But body shots to the heart/lung area are equally effective. "Magnum" springers in .22 and .25 are often used to hunt wild turkey, coyote, raccoon, etc. Large bore pre-charged pneumatics (up to .75 caliber) are used to take elk and boar at 100+ yards. I don't care what propels it, a chunk of lead moving at close to or above the speed of sound will definitely bring home dinner. These aren't your grandpa's BB guns.

Kevin B.

I was going by my expriences as a kid [ a very long time ago ] . Me and my buddy would hunt squirrels with our bb /pellet guns . He had one of those Crossman pump guns that you could pump up to 10 times . It would often take 2 or 3 or sometimes more shots for us to knock the squirrels out of the tree . Not a very humane or effective way to bring down game . Even if there has been a big improvement in air rifles , I'd still rather have a 22 .

#118247 - 12/31/07 03:03 PM Re: Air rifles [Re: handyman]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Well, imagine a thread about .22 caliber rifles and which one to buy...... and everyone coming in saying they'd rather have a .270. Or a thread about .270 rifles and everyone saying how they'd much rather have a 30.06 or .308. (NOT that this doesn;t happen, mind you laugh )

These air rifles today, using hunting pellets, WILL kill small animals, even with a body shot (though let's leave the hindquarters out of this "body shot" equation) hehe

#118248 - 12/31/07 03:10 PM Re: Air rifles [Re: Stretch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Shot placement has a role too and the some of the modern air guns are extremely accurate. BTW, my vote goes to the Beeman R1 in .22 cal.

#118250 - 12/31/07 03:46 PM Re: Air rifles [Re: Russ]
Omega Offline
Journeyman

At the same time, I find weight of a bow and a few arrows is in the same range, if not lighter, as the weight of an airgun with scope. Yes, you cannot take as many arrows as pellets, but how many do you really need? However, a bow is very powerful and you can install a scope for more accurate shooting.

#118251 - 12/31/07 03:53 PM Re: Air rifles [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
If you wanted a small light rifle for hunting small game - squirells , rabbits . Why would an air rifle be better than a 22 ? Really , I don't get it .

#118263 - 12/31/07 05:34 PM Re: Air rifles [Re: handyman]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If you wanted a small light rifle for hunting small game - squirells , rabbits . Why would an air rifle be better than a 22 ? Really , I don't get it .

To me an air rifle seems ideal: cheaper ammo, lighter ammo, lasts longer, quieter, and does the job (that is it can kill small animals). Unfortunately, it's another one of those things I am not allowed to legally own in NYC. When I have a place outside of NYC to keep more guns, I hope to add at least one air gun. YMMV.

#118282 - 12/31/07 07:52 PM Re: Air rifles [Re: handyman]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

What Dan said. Pellets cost 1 to 2 cents a round, and I can carry a couple of thousand rounds in my pants pockets. Spring piston air rifles last virtually forever with virtually no maintenance. They rarely even require cleaning because there's no powder to foul the barrel. And they're about as loud as a staple gun, so you don't scare all the little critters off nor invite unwelcome attention. I can shoot pests at the ranch without the horses even noticing.

I'm not saying an air rifle will do everything a .22 can, but they do have their advantages.

Kevin B.

Edited by KevinB (12/31/07 07:52 PM)

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 207 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.