The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#115644 - 12/12/07 04:48 PM Accident trauma kit
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada

Last year, A good friend of mine was taking his family on a camping trip when he happened across an accident that had just occurred. A van had skidded off the road and overturned. With no one else in sight he called 911, and grabbed his FAK to help the overturned vehicles occupants. Although no one inside was seriously hurt there were some wounds which required him to tear up his jacket to stop bleeding. When talking to me later, he confided to me that he wished he had better items in his FAK in case this should happen again sometime.

This of course, got me questioning the first aid items held in my truck and wondering if they would be adequate in case of the same type of incident. I decided to make two FAKs for my truck. 1 kit for the small, ordinary items used everyday like band-aids, prep pads etc, and a second kit to hold trauma items in the event of a serious accident. Upon doing my last check of this trauma kit I can't shake the feeling that I am overlooking something very important in this kit. With icy roads here for winter, and the never ending supply of stupid, careless Edmonton drivers this kit has been brought back to the top of this months preparedness priority list. This is what I currently have inside:

1. Quick splint x 1
2. CPR mask, standard x 1
3. triangular bandages x 2(Canadian Military issue)
4. 2 pairs HD surgical gloves
5. Israeli shell dressings x 4(Canadian Military issue)
6. C-A-T tourniquet x 1 (Canadian Military issue)
7. quick clot (Canadian Military issue) x 2 pouches

This kit is designed to provide first aid at the scene of a vehicle accident to my family or someone else until the pros arrive so I am not concerned about stuff like cleaning wounds etc. Most of the items I can get free through the Army, plus I am trained in their use so that is why they are in the kit. I have seen personally while overseas that quick clot works to stop major bleeding(although it hurts like hell once applied) And more than one Soldiers life has been saved by a C-A-T tourniquet. I am trained in Standard first aid, and combat Casualty care which mostly deals with battlefield injuries but that is as fancy as I get. I do not wish to add items that I am untrained to use or which are overly complicated. I would also like to keep it as small as possible for ease or storage. I have all items currently packed in zip-loc bags and then placed inside an LMG ammo pouch. I would like to add a Gerber Hinderer rescue knife or a life hammer(still have not decided what would be best yet) and a plastic airway tube to the kit as well.

I have a feeling I am overlooking something though. Am I missing a vital component??? Any advice, especially from the Para-medic types on the forum would be appreciated.

#115653 - 12/12/07 05:30 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Taurus, you are way more prepared than I am in this regard, but I do see one simple thing that you might consider adding, which is a blanket. Almost anyone suffering from such injuries, those serious enough to use any of the things mentioned as being in your kit, is likely to also be suffering from shock. And I'm sure my training is not as extensive as yours, nor is it as recent I bet, but keeping a shock victim warm has always been something I understood was important.

I've left one old, wool blanket on a road after an accident. I doubt the kid who passed me on the sportbike moments before he broke his leg can recall anything about the blanket.

Anyway, maybe you should add a mylar blanket or keep an older one on hand.

#115655 - 12/12/07 05:41 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
First I would like to say that your idea of a trauma car-FAK is a very good idea. A car-crash is a good place for many people to get very hurt.. I've got one myself.

Your list also seems good. Some things you should add:

- Gauze, lots of the stuff. Make sure you have 4x4 and kerlix-rolls. The more, the better
- more gloves and a pair of working gloves
- flashlight and safety-vest
- lots and lots of tape. a Roll of Duct-tape is also usefull
- blankets, both wool and mylar

Also, realise that quick-clot and CAT are last-resort means to stop a bleed. Use them only when all other methodes fail.

#115657 - 12/12/07 05:43 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Dan_McI]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Good point.
I actually have a couple of space blankets and one Army issued ranger blanket in the truck but they are packed in my Emergency breakdown kit under the back seats.(I love kits) I never actually considered them for use as a trauma item before. Its funny how regardless of training or experience that sometimes we just overlook what is painfully obvious. I wonder if a space blanket is good enough for this purpose??

#115663 - 12/12/07 06:29 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

We always overlook things.

As I wrote the post above, it occurred to me that I had overlooked something. My stuff lacked one of the things I always use or tell someone to use; a cold pack. I've got them in the freezer at all times, but there might be any myriad of reasons that they may be unable to be used. So, I went out this at lunch and bought some, which I will divide between the bags I've got prepared for my wife and myself. Mayeb it's not a trauma item, but a cold pack helps with all kinds of injuries.

I think using a space blanket beats using nothing, but analyzing the kind of job one might do is not my forte.

Anyway, I overlooked the entire idea of a trauma kit like you have. Now, I've found some things that need to be added to the car, thanks to the comments of both Taurus and JIM.

#115664 - 12/12/07 06:38 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
I wonder if a space blanket is good enough for this purpose??

I would say no, a space blanket is not enough.

Add a wool or “disaster blanket” which are generally wool blends and are fairly cheap (under $10 USD). Use the wool/disaster blanket first, making sure to cover the head (with the face exposed) and truck of the body if there is not enough of the blanket, actually two blankets in an overlapping “T” pattern, with the top (which is double layered) of the “T” for the upper body works best and the space/mylar blanket wrapped around the blanked patient, acting as a vapor/wind/rain/etc. barrier.

If it is real cold, you can add a couple of towel wrapped heat packs (to prevent burns) under the blankets.

Pete

#115667 - 12/12/07 06:50 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: JIM]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: JIM

Your list also seems good. Some things you should add:

- Gauze, lots of the stuff. Make sure you have 4x4 and kerlix-rolls. The more, the better
- more gloves and a pair of working gloves
- flashlight and safety-vest
- lots and lots of tape. a Roll of Duct-tape is also usefull
- blankets, both wool and mylar

Also, realise that quick-clot and CAT are last-resort means to stop a bleed. Use them only when all other methodes fail.

Once again, Thanks for the ideas. Its Great to draw from professional experience. I am by no means an expert.
I wanted to keep the kit small enough to keep in the front of my truck in the console, so if I am the one in the accident it is within my easy reach. If I am hurt it would be very hard to crawl to the back of my quad cab to grab the kit from under the rear seat storage bin. Weight is not an issue as I won't be carrying it, but size is. I didn't add any gauze as the shell dressings appeared to be enough, and to keep the size down. There are some items that are always stored in the truck such as an LED headlamp, duct tape, gloves, etc which would always be of use. I don't have a safety vest but I always have road flares. The quick clot and C-A-T tourniquet I use because I have training to use them and I can get them, along with the shell dressings and triangular bandages for free. I hope to never have to use quick lot on a stranger though, especially if it was a child. I have seen a hard core soldier bust into tears and scream at the top of his lungs when the Medics had to close a wound with quick clot.

#115672 - 12/12/07 07:09 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Dan_McI]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Good idea with the ice packs. Its appears to be more of a normal item than a trauma item but it sure would be handy to have. I store my items under the center console between the driver and passenger seats of my Ram. That way its within easy reach of me or the wife if we are the ones in the accident. Space is a big issue if I want to use the console as the rest of the available space in the truck is filled with hunting/survival stuff. I wonder if those packs would be affected by constant freezing and thawing by having the truck outside in freezing temp, and then parking it in my garage overnight ??

#115674 - 12/12/07 07:22 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

The ones I bought do caution against exposing them to freezing temperatures and temperatures in excess of 104F/40C. So maybe, this is not an item to keep in a vehicle.

I agree that they are a normal item, not really a trauma item. However, a member of one of my crew's years ago might disagree. Some helped him keep two of his fingers.

#115675 - 12/12/07 07:43 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
The quick clot and C-A-T tourniquet I use because I have training to use them and I can get them, along with the shell dressings and triangular bandages for free. I hope to never have to use quick lot on a stranger though, especially if it was a child. I have seen a hard core soldier bust into tears and scream at the top of his lungs when the Medics had to close a wound with quick clot.

I cannot comment on the Good Samaritan Laws in Canada (or any state other then Maryland for that matter) and what if any protection they might afford with respect to both criminal and civil liabilities, but many will not protect you if you exceed your level of training and Scope of Practice.

What does that mean, while you may have had the training in the military, if you are not authorized (Scope of Practice - certification/license) by whatever governmental agency (Public Health Department, EMS, Medical Licensing Board) having the controlling legal authority and go ahead and implement a medical procedure or utilize a medic device on a person that exceeds your Scope of Practice, you may not be covered by the Good Samaritan Law. While it is unlikely (especially if the outcome is positive) you would be prosecuted or sued, the potential is present.

I certainly will not discourage you from using any medical procedure or medical device in a life threatening situation, just be aware of unexpected consequences of such actions.

Pete

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.