Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#116105 - 12/16/07 03:22 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival too [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
In the normal course of activities, in addition to breaking bolts, you’ll ruin fletchings and damage heads. Both will greatly affect your accuracy. Personally, I’d stick with the .22

#116110 - 12/16/07 04:26 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival too [Re: OldBaldGuy]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Didn't have time to read all of the replies before I stuck my two cents worth in...

no spank intended. i thought you were validating my point - and i was acknowledging your validation.

i'll stop typing now!

maybe that's why the cowboys won? bullets vs arrows?

#116111 - 12/16/07 04:42 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival too [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I own a hand crossbow. It goes solidly into the "dangerous toy" category, just like most of my throwing knives. (My throwing Ka-Bar clone is the obvious exception.)

You just can't get the oomph out of them, and the accuracy is sketchy to boot. As for recovering the bolts, the use a plastic bolt with a press-fitted aluminum tip of iffy pointiness- you miss, it will go into wood about the depth of the tip which will stay in the wood. Even the aluminum shafted ones are press fitted onto a plastic tail end. If someone was to make one that throws in the 200fps range, maybe even compound in design, and used an aluminum or fiber shaft that could use a steel broadhead, maybe.

Honestly, spend a little more, and get yourself a good .20 or .22 caliber air rifle (pump or spring, not CO2) if you are looking for something like this. They can take small rodents and birds, and you can pack enough pellets into a 20oz soda bottle to last a LONG time. smile

Or a real crossbow, or a bow. Keep in mind that a crossbow can have some of the same possession issues, and even worse, than a firearm, depending on where you are. And the social issues are much greater than if your neighbors see you with a hunter's bow, and the bow is generally easier to find arrows for. Yes, a bow does take more strength to use, but not by much, and the degree of skill needed to use either is similiar. And greater than the air rifle.

Edited by ironraven (12/16/07 04:50 AM)
Edit Reason: can't speel

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#116112 - 12/16/07 04:55 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival tool? [Re: ironraven]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: ironraven

Honestly, spend a little more, and get yourself a good .20 or .22 caliber air rifle (pump or spring, not CO2) if you are looking for something like this. They can take small rodents and birds, and you can pack enough pellets into a 20oz soda bottle to last a LONG time. smile

That's my opinion too. A good air rifle or pistol will take small game and lead pellets are cheap, easy to find, and very compact. I've even made pellets from left over lead in the past. As long as you can find something to mold them in it's pretty easy.

#116134 - 12/16/07 02:12 PM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival tool? [Re: Paul810]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
5,000 pellets don't weigh very much and they require very little space.

If you want to stretch things out,,carry 3,000 BB's for the small birds.

#116186 - 12/16/07 08:42 PM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival tool? [Re: wildman800]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I'd tend to agree with those preferring a rifle, but what if buying and keeping a rifle is not a good option? What if you do not want to endure the permitting process in a place as onerous as NYC?

If you want to keep something in your home and you live here, you need to consider soemthing else. Of course, a wrist rocket is also not legal. I think you can own a slingshot, but not with a wrist brace.

Edited by Dan_McI (12/16/07 09:12 PM)

#116191 - 12/16/07 08:58 PM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival too [Re: Dan_McI]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
Of course, a wrist rocket is also not legal.
Slingshots are banned in NYC? Wow. Well at least now we know why we don't read about drive-by slingshottings in NYC, when they're all over the headlines for other cities.

#116195 - 12/16/07 09:12 PM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival too [Re: haertig]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
Of course, a wrist rocket is also not legal.
Slingshots are banned in NYC? Wow. Well at least now we know why we don't read about drive-by slingshottings in NYC, when they're all over the headlines for other cities.

Slingshots are not banned, but ones with wrist braces are banned. I'm not sure if you can buy one with a folding wrist brace, remove the wrist brace, and bring it within the law.

#116199 - 12/16/07 09:26 PM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival tool? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

One handed crossbows are classed as Prohibited Weapons in Canada.

Full sized hunting crossbows are quite effective and widely used to take big game in Ontario.

I have taken a few grouse with a sling-shot but I never put in the time to practice, I missed many more than I got.

I have seen rabbits and grouse taken with air pistols and rifles, they work well if the game is close and the shot well placed.

Myself I prefer a compact .22 rimfire rifle or short barreled shotgun as they are more accurate and effective, especially at longer range.

Mike

#116223 - 12/17/07 02:44 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival tool? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

"maybe that's why the cowboys won? bullets vs arrows?"

Contrary to what you see in the westerns the Native Americans lost because initially they were decimated by disease.

Then we finished them off using the tactics of genocide: destroying crops and game animals, intentional biological warfare, forced relocations, and indiscriminate killing of women and children to weaken the Indian nations. The native Americans initially had no idea of how bloodthirsty we could be until they were weak and outnumbered.

In many cases the Indians had more modern and capable weapons than the US forces. The most famous case is at "Custer's last stand" where the Indian nations had modern repeating rifles that were both more accurate and faster firing than the single-shot carbines most of the US troops had. Just one of the many reasons they lost that one.

After the 1700s the native Americans had weapons about equivalent to or better than the US military. The civilian weapons they traded for were often superior to what the hide-bound military was using. But to no avail. Disease, starvation, economic and ecological destruction had already destroyed their population base.

Lesson being that survival is a system. You can't focus on physical security while neglecting other aspects. In the long run the race does not always go to the stronger, smarter, more moral or the better armed.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.