Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#116074 - 12/15/07 11:11 PM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival too [Re: haertig]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: bsmith

here in california we use these:

How do you hunt rabbits with THAT?! Do you launch the rabbits AT the ball bearings?! ;-)

good one! i think they heard me screaming laughing down the street...

bsmith

#116075 - 12/15/07 11:17 PM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival too [Re: wildman800]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: wildman800

This is a very DANGEROUS weapon!!!!!

well, i couldn't help it. wrist rocket, indeed! laugh

my friend's young adult children launched a balloon at their uncle's pride and joy vehicle. he's an ordained minister and i'm told there was quite a "come-to-jesus meeting" over the vehicle's caved in door panel. laugh

and the distance was 50 +/- yards.

so yeah, think baseball-size/dense object, horizontally - WOW! bring 'em on laugh

bsmith

Edited by bsmith (12/15/07 11:21 PM)

#116076 - 12/15/07 11:25 PM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival too [Re: bsmith]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Don't tell the Montenyard people of Viet Nam that crossbows don't work for hunting or killing larger "game" they have been using them for centurys and are VERY good with them. smile

#116083 - 12/16/07 12:44 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival tool? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

#116085 - 12/16/07 12:57 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival too [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

do they break down to carry?

i think they are a good idea - reusable arrows, etc - but also losable arrows, too.

i'd rather have pistol or rifle for portability, concealability (sp?) and accuracy.

IMHO 200 rounds are more manageable than even 20 darts, nevermind the bow.

but guns are not for everyone.

bsmith

#116086 - 12/16/07 01:01 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival tool? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

This one folds so you can put it in a backpack:

180 Lb crossbow

#116091 - 12/16/07 01:33 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival tool? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have no experience with a crossbow, but today I was plinking clay pigeons with my .22 rifle at about 100 yards, then hitting the pieces, until there was nothing left big enough to be seen from that distance. I doubt that anyone can do that with a crossbow...

#116096 - 12/16/07 02:13 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival tool? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
The $19.95 novelty ones are a toy and a joke. There are high end ones that are serious weapons. Many crossbows have the prod [the bow part] attached by bolts that can easily be removed. This can make a crossbow either pistol or full sized more compact for carrying. While bolts are reusable or easily fashioned the critical part is the string. Because it drags along the body of the bow it wears quickly. This would behoove you to include a backup or maybe several.

Personally I prefer a long bow. The limitations are two fold. One you need both arm fully functional to use. So a crossbow might be better in a real survival situation where one might be injured. The second is that it takes a great deal more time and effort to learn and to become proficient with a long bow. Many of the newer non-compound ones can be broken down into the 2 limbs and center section. For a very compact package. While the string does not wear as quickly it is still the most likely thing to break. Carry a spare.

Slingshots are smaller and easy to carry. Their pluses and minuses have been covered.

There is also the sling of David and Goliath fame. Before you think these might not be effective. Remember these things were a weapon of war. A trained slinger could throw a chicken egg sized rock or lead pellet and drop a man at upwards of a hundred yards. They make a package that is about half the size of a fist. But like the bow it takes a lot of practice to be good. If you try one don't expect bulls eyes right off the bat. David while tending the flocks had many hours to wile away. Throwing rocks with a sling was probably a way to entertain himself.

Another compact weapon I carry is a bola. Yes to be really effective they should weigh a couple of pounds. But there is a trick to make them light and easy to carry. This is to replace the weights with cloth drawstring bags. The lines and the other bags can be stuffed in one of the bags. When you need to use simple unpack and then fill the bags with whatever is at hand. This could be dirt, sand, rocks and even snow.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#116097 - 12/16/07 02:18 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival too [Re: OldBaldGuy]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I have no experience with a crossbow, but today I was plinking clay pigeons with my .22 rifle at about 100 yards, then hitting the pieces, until there was nothing left big enough to be seen from that distance. I doubt that anyone can do that with a crossbow...

that's the accuracy thing i mentioned above...

Edited by bsmith (12/16/07 02:19 AM)

#116101 - 12/16/07 02:33 AM Re: Hand crossbow - toy or legitimate survival too [Re: bsmith]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Didn't have time to read all of the replies before I stuck my two cents worth in...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.