Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#116018 - 12/15/07 03:41 PM Re: Story for Blast [Re: ironraven]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Fleas generally like mammals.

This is why I prefer a pet rattlesnake for catching mice.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#116022 - 12/15/07 04:22 PM Re: Story for Blast [Re: thseng]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
So, there I was in Rota Air Base, Spain in January of 2000. My DW and kids are back in New Jersey during a really nasty winter event (even for Jersey it was bad). I make a morale call back to previously-mentioned DW to see how things are going. She informs that she "brought in a stray kitty because it looked so cold." My reply: "Fine!!, it stays off my chair. (I too am master of the house. The problem is the house for me consists of a single chair.) If I get skin or breathing problems from it ( I am allergic to cats) she has to take it to the pound (it is not a "no-kill" shelter). I did use another term that begins with a capital "A" of WWII notariety, but for sensitivity sake I said pound. Anyway, almost eight years later, two moves and two dogs added to the mix, the $%^&*% cat is still with us. It lives in our master suite because it is such a space cadet that it is afraid of everything. Stinkin' cat!!! I feel for you guys.

Edited by MoBOB (12/15/07 04:24 PM)

#116040 - 12/15/07 06:46 PM Re: Story for Blast [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Actually, most cases of ringworm in kids come from other kids. Then they infect the cat.

Thus, they'd better vet the kids that come to play, and that their kids associate with at school. You'll notice that pets don't get much lice. My little local pharmacy has three shelves of lice treatments.

About fleas: you don't even need to have any animals to get a flea infestation. They live easily in the lawn. And they can jump something like three feet at a time. They look for a warm body to feed on. Sometimes YOU are the warm body.

But I'm sure that everyone here has learned that if your dog or cat does have some fleas, it's usually best to just apply Advantage or Frontline. Especially cats. Thanks for the tip, Blast! (heeheehee!)

Sue, tittering all the way home

#116079 - 12/16/07 12:15 AM Re: Story for Blast [Re: Susan]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

Gee thanks!

I just took in a stray cat last Tuesday. It ran up onto my porch in a pouring rainstorm as I was leaving for work. I took it straight to the vet before letting it in the house and near my other -healthy- pets. The vet assured me there was nothing wrong with it but near starvation, so...... since it didn't seem to belong to anyone, and many $ later for shots and de-fleaing and de-worming, I have new cat. It has patches hair nearly gone all over it's legs and neck. The vet says he checked for all skin disorders, and the patches are just where he chewed and scratched itchy spots from the fleas, and it will be vastly improved within a week.

Still.....after looking at the photo, I find myself starting to itch.....

#116088 - 12/16/07 01:02 AM Re: Story for Blast [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Blast
Aack!!

I think I got off easy. eek

-Blast
This time, but the sweet little kitty is still planning the next time! smile

#116090 - 12/16/07 01:09 AM Re: Story for Blast [Re: Stu]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
I feel sorry for the dozen or so strays that roam our neighborhood. I really wish people would get their pets fixed and quite dumping them when times get rough with the pet.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Phaedrus), 188 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.