Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#115874 - 12/14/07 05:14 AM electric blanket
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I finally remembered what I was going to ask about earlier.

Most of us have inverters in our cars, so we should be able to power a small electric blanket or large hot pad. Which one is more efficient:

-running the car every so often to recharge the battery a little bit, then turn it off and stay with the battery?
-running the car every so often to reheat an entire cabin full of air?

I'm not talking anythign huge, just like a crib warmer or something. Put it under you in the car seat, with a blanket over you. Turn the electric on for say 15 minutes every hour. Or will it draw too much charge off the battery?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#115879 - 12/14/07 01:39 PM Re: electric blanket [Re: ironraven]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Well, that depends how many amps the blanket will draw. In colder weather, I think it's harder for the battery to work at its maximum efficiency, so I'd be tempted to err on the safe side and run the car longer than normal. I mean to say, I'd be less likely to use the blanket while the engine was off.

#115881 - 12/14/07 01:56 PM Re: electric blanket [Re: ironraven]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
The wife has one of these blankets. Its a bit larger than you are describing. The thing is awesome but it takes a bit of time to reach a good level of heat. I actually saw some small heater fans that are designed to be plugged into a cig lighter of a car. They blow a surprising amount of hot air, but seem to burn up a lot of power. At my fav outdoor store, they actually sell electric socks, which are battery powered believe it or not. I got a pair for bow hunting for those times when you have to remain in place for long periods. These things are the warmest socks I have ever worn in winter. I wonder if they make battery operated blankets as well??? Like you said, if you run the engine for a while to warm the blanket, even every second or third time you use it, then you will spare the battery for when you need it most.

#115884 - 12/14/07 02:16 PM Re: electric blanket [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#115922 - 12/14/07 07:39 PM Re: electric blanket [Re: Blast]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I think I might be tempted to take a good car battery, on its own, and see how long it'll run the blanket before it dies. That would at least give an idea of what to expect.

#115968 - 12/15/07 02:09 AM Re: electric blanket [Re: Stretch]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Stretch
I think I might be tempted to take a good car battery, on its own, and see how long it'll run the blanket before it dies. That would at least give an idea of what to expect.

You could, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. As I understand it, a standard car battery can suffer permanent damage, or have its service life reduced, by a severe discharge. Most inverters cut out at around 10.6 volts DC to prevent this.

#115984 - 12/15/07 03:22 AM Re: electric blanket [Re: dougwalkabout]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Why not just carry a full size duvet? You are in a car; youv'e room.
The Sock

#115987 - 12/15/07 03:56 AM Re: electric blanket [Re: TheSock]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I'm with you on this one. I would carry adequate warmies that are non electrical. I wouldn't want to depend on a car battery for something as vital as warmth - keep it for starting the car.

#115996 - 12/15/07 04:56 AM Re: electric blanket [Re: hikermor]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I also agree. Using an electric blanket assumes that you will have the vehicle and power. If you have to leave the vehicle for any reason, the electric blanket isn’t going to help you much.

#115999 - 12/15/07 06:42 AM Re: electric blanket [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
I would only recommend the idea if you equip the vehicle with duel batteries. This is a standard set up many 4 wheelers use. High draw and most acessories draw from the second battery. Then rvrn if the battery gets too low the primary battery is used to start the vehicle which in turn recharges both.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.