The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#115963 - 12/15/07 01:56 AM My Vehicle FAK- PIC warning
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Afte reading the Accident Trauma Kit post, I finally got around to getting my vehicle FAK up. Mind you, I've been an EMT for 10 years, so please use common sense if you decide there's things "you just have to have!" Also, in advance, I have a few blankets and flares in my car, seperate from this kit.

The bag was bought at an EMS conference about 10 years ago. It's a small duffel, with 2 side pouches. The ends are "pouches" that are seperated from a central compartment. The kit also came with a nylon roll with elastic loops for holding gauze rolls, as well as a flat piece that velcro's to the top of the central compartment for holding airways. Made of a nice-quality Cordura-type orange nylon. From the top, working clockwise: CPR pouch, the bigger CPR end compartment, glove pouch, and the trauma end compartment. The middle compartment is overflow/extra stuff.

The CPR pouch has a pocket CPR mask, 1 locking Buck knife, 1 pair of trauma shears, and 1 10-cc syring. I used to have a turkey baster as a poor-man's suction device, but it got lost somewhere.

The bigger airway pouch has an Ambu-bag, 10 triage tags, 1 pair goggles, and a handful of Vioxx hand sanitizer wipes.

Glove pouch contains 1 ziplock of latex gloves, and 1 ziplock of trauma gloves (thicker, longer latex gloves). No pic.

The trauma pouch has 2 abd pads, 2 vaseline gauze pads, 1 triangle bandage, 1 pair of goggles, 1/2 roll of tape, 3 Kerlix (gauze rolls), 2 surplus/military trauma bandages and a ziploc of 4x4's

The center pouch is a "restock" and "extra supplies" function. From the top right, the orange roll:
Orange nylon roll with 6 guaze rolls
1 pediatric and 1 adult adjustable Cervical collar
2 burn towels
3 military trauma bandages
7 abd pads
1 set of oropharyngeal airways (the green curvy things)
3 angiocaths (the IV was used and never replaced)
2 triangle bandages
1 eye pad
2 ace wraps
Ziploc of 4x4's, some sterile gauze
Cheapie bandage compress and wire splint
2 rolls tape
1 sterile Kerlix
1 stethoscope (no BP cuff planned)

#115991 - 12/15/07 04:25 AM Re: My Vehicle FAK- PIC warning [Re: MDinana]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh, I like. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#115997 - 12/15/07 06:07 AM Re: My Vehicle FAK- PIC warning [Re: ironraven]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

whne i grow up (im 13) IM gonna try n get my emt and w-emt!!!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#116000 - 12/15/07 09:55 AM Re: My Vehicle FAK- PIC warning [Re: MDinana]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Pretty nice kit. I have something similair. I will post pics of it when I find them.

- Have you thought about adding a suction-device, such as a rescue-vac?

- Maybe get a selectable c-collar?

- That BVM doesn't have much additional value without hooking it up to a o2-supply.

- Why no BP-cuff planned?

#116001 - 12/15/07 10:54 AM Re: My Vehicle FAK- PIC warning [Re: JIM]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

I hope this isn't a tread-hijack, but this is my trauma-backpack:

The front-pouch contents. Not pictured, but included is a roll of duct-tape, more gloves, spac-blankets and 2 complete 500ml IV-kits.

Some small stuff. There are 2 EMT-sheers in the bag.

- Yellow pouch: a lot of quick-dressings (no1,2,3,4) and burn-gauze
- Red pouch: trauma-pads, kerlix, gauze,more gauze...
- Blue pouch: ACE-bandages, triangulair bandages, instant-cold-packs

Tape, gauze pads, suture-strips, etc, etc

More and larger gauze-pads, burnshield, water-jel, more tape, cling-film.

#116015 - 12/15/07 03:03 PM Re: My Vehicle FAK- PIC warning [Re: JIM]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JIM
Pretty nice kit. I have something similair. I will post pics of it when I find them.

- Have you thought about adding a suction-device, such as a rescue-vac?

- Maybe get a selectable c-collar?

- That BVM doesn't have much additional value without hooking it up to a o2-supply.

- Why no BP-cuff planned?

You've got a great kit too Jim. Some things I'd like to have.
As for you questions:
Suction devices are pricey. I used a turkey baster in the past, and might get one again. The Rescue Vac retails for something like $100, and doesn't actually fit into a mouth too well. But it is a shortcoming.
The 2 C-collars are adjustable. Sectionable's aren't used too much in the field (in my experience) in the US. Mainly hospitals. Plus, they don't fold or store as well.
A BVM adds 5% more O2 than a face mask when in use (21% atmospheric oxygen, vs about 15% in an exhaled breath). Plus, it keeps your head away from the patient while in use. The last time I used one on the side of the road, the girl's head was smashed and blood was spraying everywhere with each breath. I'd rather my jeans be soaked than my face and hair. The nice thing too is I can hook it up to an O2 tank when one becomes available (cops sometimes carry them, and tend to be quicker than EMS at times)
No cuff simply because I'm not cared about documenting vitals. If they're talking and have a radial pulse, their BP is at least 70-80 mm Hg. This kit is to keep alive, not titrate IV fluid rates. Besides, without an IV, I can't do much to improve a dropping BP besides more hemorrhage control. Lastly, blood pressures aren't part of the triage algorithm, and if there's more than 1 patient, I can't waste time getting full vitals on each one.

#116038 - 12/15/07 06:37 PM Re: My Vehicle FAK- PIC warning [Re: MDinana]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Good Lord Man!! I wish you and JIM posted this stuff before I did because you both have some fancy kits going on there. I know Army Medics that don’t carry as much gear when on operations as you both have (lol !!) for me, the need is not as big to have such a large kit. I just want to help someone out as much as possible while I wait for someone like you guys to get on the scene. There is a whole whack of stuff that you both carry that I am not even slightly trained to use, but after looking at your stuff I can see that there are a few more things I may have to squeeze into my trauma kit somehow. For all the help on my thread, thanks again. I have really been set straight about the whole moving the person thing. I am kind of determined to upgrade my first aid training to a more civilian nature after reading some of the comments on my thread. As it stands now, 99% of what our Military teaches is geared specifically for places like Afghanistan where road side bombs strikes etc usually involve burning vehicles full of high explosives and VERY seriously injured troops. In these cases the first step is getting people out. Although it obviously does not apply while back home, it is a hard mindset to let go of!! Especially when you know you are going back.

#116055 - 12/15/07 08:28 PM Re: My Vehicle FAK- PIC warning [Re: Taurus]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
There is a whole whack of stuff that you both carry that I am not even slightly trained to use, but after looking at your stuff I can see that there are a few more things I may have to squeeze into my trauma kit somehow.

That's the most important thing: You see the kits of other people and get ideas of what you could/should add or what you could leave out.

And your trauma-bag is really nice. It does what you want it to do and you're comfortable with it. Nothing more and nothing less!

Once again, good job!

Edited by JIM (12/15/07 08:42 PM)
Edit Reason: a FAK isn't a trauma-bag, duh..

#116058 - 12/15/07 09:00 PM Re: My Vehicle FAK- PIC warning [Re: JIM]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, but don't forget that medics have to carry all their gear, in addition to their kits. So it makes sense they'd have fewer things.

I second Jim, just be open to discussing and changing things based on your needs, comfort level, and experiences with it.

I should than Taurus for the motivation to get my pics up here. And for making me unpack the bag and realize I've got to add a few things that have gotten used over the years!

#116109 - 12/16/07 04:15 AM Re: My Vehicle FAK- PIC warning [Re: JIM]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Nice kit !!

I'll take some pics of the everyday 1st aid kit I have and post them up here soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.