Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#115932 - 12/14/07 10:03 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: JIM]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: JIM
Don't forget to post the pics of the kit on this forum!

[img][IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/zazabu531/th_trucktraumakit.jpg[/img][/img]

This is the truck trauma kit as it stands now. Not show is the plastic airway tube (I need a new one) and the Gerber hinderer rescue knife, which will be kept in the cubby hole in the drivers door of the truck when it arrives in the mail. I have added two rolls of gauze pictured top left, and a chest seal similar to the one I carry in my hunting backpack first aid kit. I tossed in a heavy duty set of medical scissors, and upped the medical gloves to three pairs (not shown) I also added 2 more shell dressings.

[img][IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/zazabu531/th_removeditems.jpg[/img][/img]

These are the items removed from the kit. C-A-T tourniquet, Quick clot and quick splint.

[img][IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/zazabu531/th_smalltruckkit.jpg[/img][/img]

This is the smaller kit that I was talking about. This is for the normal every day first aid.
In no particular order:
1. Knuckle bandage x 3
2. Band-aids x 10
3. Gauze pads x 3, assorted sizes
4. No.4 pressure bandages x 2
5. Butterfly sutures x 2
6. Assorted safety pins x 10(not shown)
7. Adhesive dressing strips x 2
8. Alcohol prep pads x 10
9. Ammonia inhalant crush vial x 1
10. SS tweezers
11. Surgical tape, wrapped around card board to save space
12. Gauze roller bandage,1 inch x 5 yards
13. Tablets (Imodium x 2, pepto tabs x 6, Ex strength Tylenol x 12, Gravol x 4)
14. SS needles x 2
When hunting or backpacking, this kit goes in my pack as well as my hunting trauma kit which holds items specific to hunting related injuries(not shown)

[img][IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/zazabu531/th_medkitsizecomp.jpg[/img][/img]

Last is a size comparison pic showing the trauma kit(all items packed in zip bags and then placed in LMG pouch) The red pouch is the normal first aid kit. The LMG pouch fits nicely in the centre console of my truck and has a shoulder strap. I have it marked with the standard red cross in case I need to tell someone else what to grab out of the truck. It is a lot easier than trying to describe what an LMG pouch is. I use these pouches for a lot of other stuff,so This just avoids the confusion, and is easy to see in the dark.

#115941 - 12/14/07 11:55 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Taurus

I don't know what the roads are like where you are, but on some of the long isolated stretches of road I travel on( especially in winter) accidents usually involve smashed, overturned vehicles which have hit black ice and either hit another vehicle head on, or skidded off the road to hit a tree or slide down an embankment. On any Canadian Highway there are frequent collisions with Moose or deer and these are normally very serious if not fatal.

For the most part, I worked in an urban environment. I did a few calls out in the sticks, but like OBG, I was in California. So weather concerns weren't usually an issue. And I've never worked an auto-vs-moose wink But a wreck is a wreck, with many similar concerns. I'm glad that others have echo'd what I said, that keeping the person from moving is usually the best course if you're by yourself. After all, the first thing you'll learn in your First Responder course is SCENE SAFETY. Probably in those exact words. So in addition to hurting the patient, you don't want to throw your back out either...

Anyway, I'm probably going to start beating a dead horse here in a second. Hopefully I didn't offend; if so, my apologies.

I'm actually in the midst of taking pictures of my car FAK, so hopefully it'll be up in a few hours, and we can stimulate some more pros/cons of kits.

#116032 - 12/15/07 06:01 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: MDinana]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
[quote=MDinana
Hopefully I didn't offend; if so, my apologies.

[/quote]

Oh hell no!! I wasn’t offended in the least! It is hard to show the mood you are in when you are halfway across the world from someone via computer screen. If I feel someone is being sarcastic with me then I enjoy shooting it back at them that’s all. Much the same way I would if talking with any of my friends. Sarcasm is the most enjoyable form of humor in my opinion. At any rate, I wasn’t trying to offend either. I actually enjoy getting burned on the forum by someone, it keeps me on my toes and it is usually all in good fun.

#116084 - 12/16/07 12:48 AM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

From OBG:
"I used to carry a bunch of CHP give away bumper stickers with me, if I had to break a side window with a victim inside, I would plaster it with stickers first, then break it with my spring loaded centerpunch (without a doubt the easiest way to break a tempered glass window). Instead of breaking into a jillion pieces, it would be pretty much held in one piece by the stickers, and could be lifted out away from the victim..."

Great idea. note to self: use roll of duct tape in car kit to serve the same purpose.

I took a BASIC First Aid Class recently, and it was a little frustrating. It seemed like the instructor just kept saying "make them comfortable and call 911." I wanted to learn how to use the SAM splint everyone has in THEIR kit, and other REAL first aid stuff. Then I remembered what I had learned here about not overestimating my ability...and I took her point.

#116133 - 12/16/07 02:06 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: DFW]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Now that you have taken the Basic, try to find an advanced First Aid Course. That should cover the splinting, sucking chest wounds, pressure points, etc.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.