Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#115650 - 12/12/07 05:13 PM Wouldn't this be a GREAT tv show?
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

This is a 5 minute promo from a lady who is trying to get her own tv show. It's about urban sustainable living.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvDzgJKK-ng

#115662 - 12/12/07 06:26 PM Re: Wouldn't this be a GREAT tv show? [Re: ]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Although, seriously, who has a 7000 gallon pond in their back yard?

Apparently, she does. LOL

I have a pond, but I'm not in the city anymore. And there's no fish in it. Just a bunch of snapping turtles that moved in on their own. eek

#115679 - 12/12/07 08:21 PM Re: Wouldn't this be a GREAT tv show? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Snapping turtles are edible. My dad used to catch/butcher them all the time when we we growing up. If he caught a female still containing her eggs mom would use the eggs to make pound cake.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#115683 - 12/12/07 08:54 PM Re: Wouldn't this be a GREAT tv show? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Neat idea, but I'm not sure I want to smell the manure left my neighbors livestock. In Manhattan, most people would not have a yard into which they could create such an environment.

I do like the idea of the show because many people who live in urban areas have no skills that they could rely on if they needed to raise anything more than their hands. I cannot tell you the last time I met a woman who could spin yarn. I know I do not know many, women or men, who can knit or sew anything worthwhile. I also have an inkling that people posting on this forum are more likely to have these skills.

As far as the pond, one might be able to get away with something much smaller with a different fish. Someone has apparently raised channel catfish in a barrell, feeding them worms raised on table scraps. See: http://www.kurtsaxon.com/foods007.htm.

#115717 - 12/13/07 12:20 AM Re: Wouldn't this be a GREAT tv show? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I don't know about the pond, etc, but I know two things I would love about her having a show...

#115740 - 12/13/07 03:09 AM Re: Wouldn't this be a GREAT tv show? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
OK the question was raised about no backyards in cities. Much can still be done even by apartment dwellers.

In many major cities it is not uncommon for homing pigeons to be raised on rooftops. Pigeons while not as big are a meat source. Don't like pigeons, what about a dove cote? You might even get away with rabbits. Although chicken might be a bit much if only because of the noise factor.

For growing crops there is container gardening. Think of it as smaller scale raised bed gardening. This can be accomplished on rooftops and on balconies.

There has in the past movements for groups to raise community gardens in nearby vacant lots.

Yes! In any of these you might suffer vandalism and outright theft. They are possibilities. And there are many other ways a city bound apartment dweller can raise quite a bit of their own food.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#115789 - 12/13/07 02:22 PM Re: Wouldn't this be a GREAT tv show? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'd watch that show!

#115794 - 12/13/07 03:00 PM Re: Wouldn't this be a GREAT tv show? [Re: Raspy]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I've thought of pigeons and rabbits, etc., but raising them is simply not going to work. When you live in a high-rise with no porch, balcony, or roof access, raising livestock is not really an option. In my neighborhood, the most common things people raise for dinner are the phone, before they can dial for delivery, and their feet on they way to a restaurant. I'd have to get a hydroponic kit with a light to get any plants to grow most of the year, as we have a Northern exposure.

I think shows like this are great however. Surviving whatever we encounter is helped by preparation. Equipment helps, but IMO, it mostly requires us to be able to us our brains. After watching a show like this, I may have an inkling of knowledge about how to do something that helps me at some point in time.

And, I've got a few snares, in case I need to catch and begin to raise pigeons. I don't think it will ever come to that, but that's part of my planning for the worst.

#115795 - 12/13/07 03:08 PM Re: Wouldn't this be a GREAT tv show? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I don't know about the pond, etc, but I know two things I would love about her having a show...

Your sure the "B" in OBG stands for "bald"? whistle

#115871 - 12/14/07 03:47 AM Re: Wouldn't this be a GREAT tv show? [Re: DesertFox]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Well, gee, what else could it stand for???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.