The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#115299 - 12/10/07 01:20 AM Re: BOB Bag [Re: Shadow_oo00]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
If you're doing the heavy work, I'd suggest a commercial/civilian backpacking bag. Something greater than 3500 cubic inches (uh, about 70 liter). Just watch the weight; the guideline is that a bag shouldn't be more than 1/3 your weight. In my teens, while Scouting, my pack could be close to 1/2 for a week-long trip, but that was when I was young.

Your wife may just have to tough it out and carry some of the kid stuff for your youngest- bottles/bags, formula, diapers, wipes. Essentially your diaper bag. I'd avoid anything with a single sling, like purse, bag, duffel. If you have to walk any appreciable distance you're going to be hurting from that.

Your boy can probably hold a 10-15 lbs. pack. Food, some fun items, a bottle of water.

I'd focus on water purification, food (and procurement), navigation and shelter. since you're in MN I wouldn't worry about packing gallons of water; maybe 3 liters, and your son and wife with 1 each. You can stop and filter as needed. A good 4-person tent should be OK.

#115300 - 12/10/07 01:20 AM Re: BOB Bag [Re: Microage97]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I don't know what you mean by "bugging out," (and I am not a fan of that concept myself), but do now expect your 3.5 year old and wife to be able to walk very far, carrying anything or not. It just won't happen...

#115301 - 12/10/07 01:23 AM Re: BOB Bag [Re: MDinana]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
Thanks! I am kinda torn at times if we should bug out or hunker down. At least here where we live, if things go bad, it might be better to lay low of awhile before any bug out.

Dave

#115302 - 12/10/07 01:23 AM Re: BOB Bag [Re: Microage97]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Dave

Heres a link to Ebay if your interested in Alice packs, I have bought from them and they seem to have great prices, just make sure to check item descriptions to make sure everything you want is included in the auction.

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Z-Army-Navy-Military-Surplus

I know a lot of people that have Alice Packs and love them, myself I go with either Maxpedition, or Camelbak.

I also have the GI Duffel bags in case I Bug Out that way I can throw stuff in them too, besides the BoB's

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#115304 - 12/10/07 01:27 AM Re: BOB Bag [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

I know what you mean. Well I am trying to think of situations where we would want to leave the house. I mean there are the natural disasters, tornadoes ect that could occur, but maybe terrorism is out biggest threat? I don't wanna sound paranoid, but even paranoids have enemies. :-)

Dave

#115305 - 12/10/07 01:28 AM Re: BOB Bag [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Thanks!

Dave

#115308 - 12/10/07 01:44 AM Re: BOB Bag [Re: Microage97]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The first question I should have asked is: where are you bugging out to? You need a destination within range of your intended mode of travel.

Next question: What is already there to support your needs once you get to your destination?

Do you really intend to walk with a toddler and an infant? Be realistic wrt your family's capabilities.

#115311 - 12/10/07 01:53 AM Re: BOB Bag [Re: Microage97]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Plan A should always be to dig in. You leave only when your static preperations and shelter probably (no possibly) will be or have been compromised. With little kids, this is more critical just becuase they can't take the amount of exposure (weather-wise) and abuse that an adult can.

As others have said, it's you, your wife, bug out gear, and no offense, two pieces of squirmy luggage. smile I wouldn't be thinking bags. Kid carriers with some cargo capacity, and a something like a game cart or cargo sledge to carry the bulk of the gear. I wouldn't count on your eldest to be walking very far, certainly not more than five miles a day, unless he's used to it.

And honestly, I'd put terrorism near the bottom of your priority list.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#115313 - 12/10/07 02:00 AM Re: BOB Bag [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Yea I know what you mean, I'm not big on leaving my home either, so most of my efforts are directed towards staying here. I will leave if I have to and I have plans for short term as well as long term. I mean in the event of a fire, flood, tornado etc. you have no choice. In that event a BOB will come in handy no doubt about it.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#115318 - 12/10/07 02:21 AM Re: BOB Bag [Re: Microage97]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If you can leave by vehicle, I would suggest something like the Action Packer boxes, or the similar products by Rubbermade. Not to carry farther than from the garage to the vehicle. If you think that you will have to walk, I will go back to my original comment, it ain't gonna happen...

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.