Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114946 - 12/06/07 02:55 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: mark161]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: mark161
Working on 4 55gal drums in basement hooked through one of the water lines so it is always full and is recycled new every time you open the faucet.

Mark - Can 55 gallon drums hold up under your water supply pressure? They are kinda thin and I'd be worried about them eventually splitting at a seam. Non-functional 50 gal water heaters might be a more reliable option plus they already have the right fittings. Just a thought.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#114947 - 12/06/07 04:16 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: Microage97]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I keep 8 cases of bottled water just for ease of use, I have a well and generator so water storage has never been a major concern, although I am looking for those blue 55 gal drums to store water in for the dogs,cleaning,clothes etc. to save on using the generator and wasting gas.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#115262 - 12/09/07 11:36 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: thseng]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
Sounds like a goos solution, but what if the water supply is poisoned or is questionable?

Dave

#115274 - 12/10/07 12:32 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: Microage97]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
That's a good question, Dave - it got me thinking.

I guess you could plumb two tanks so that one was isolated and the other was in-line with the water supply and the rest of the house. Then remember to switch the one that was "live" every so often to keep the "stored" one fresh.

Beats wrestling 55 gaL drums...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#115291 - 12/10/07 01:08 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: thseng]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Ya I know what you mean. I am thinking about get a couple of 55 gallon drums to help beef up my current supply of 4.5 gallon containers. You never know, the government thinks that our water supply is very vulnerable.

Dave

#115336 - 12/10/07 05:48 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: Microage97]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Then you lose. I'm being very serious when I say that.

Although, you can find inline water tanks that will probably run you less than extra water heaters.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#115488 - 12/11/07 05:59 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: ironraven]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
What you use for storage, and how much water you store should be as factors of how much you think you might need, how much room you have to store water and other things, as well as other available sources. The idea of adding plumbing so that you continually refresh barrells or tanks of water is great, if you can do that. With my NYC apartment, that is imply not an option. Storing enough to get a couple of us through a week take up enough room. Storing enough to get a family of four through a few weeks is simply not an option. If we are going to need to haev water for more people for a longer period, we have to either find more sources than storage or hopefully will have bugged out.

As with any need, do not count on only one source. So, you should not count only on stored water. One source of water can and should be the stored water, and another source can and should be something you have stored. Look for more sources.
Perhaps you can collect rainwater, which over the long term should be of some benefit in Minnesota. Obtain some methods of purifying water. You could buy some chemcial purifying tablets, but a small bag of pool chlorine might go a long way. I've got instructions on how to do this at home. You can find other instructions on using bleach, such as chlorox.

As some of the other posters have mentioned, it may also be possible to have storage you normally keep empty. Our BOBs, by the front door, have water storage bags inside them, as well as some water. If there is some event going to hit that will have us buggin in or buggin out with a car, then one option is to fill those as soon as possible.

One comment, think about sources for water that provide for other needs besides drinking. I live not far from one of NYC's rivers, but the water is more salt than fresh, and there is a sewage treatment plants that dump into it. Drinking it would would probably require distilling it, and then one might be drinking something you did not want to drink. However, being able to bring buckets of it inside might give me use of a toilet. Same thought with filling bathtub, it might not be worth drinking, by the time you are thinking about drinking it. Water stored like that, uncovered, static, etc, in a city, is liked to have a layer of dust of unknown origin settle over it in hours. Still, I might be able use it to flush.

#115498 - 12/11/07 07:45 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: Microage97]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Microage97
I am going to put up 20 months of water or so and maybe plan on scrounging more if needed after some time passes during the "event."
Dave

Great Scott! Doug Ritter recommends a planned minimum of 3 gallons/person/day and in a family of 4 (without pets) that is 12 gallons/day * 30 days/month * 20 months = 7200 gallons!!! Or put another way...131 of those 55 gallon barrels!

Where do you put that much water Dave?

~Nemo

#115499 - 12/11/07 08:05 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: Loganenator]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Personally...my wife and I have about 2 weeks of water stored (we live in an apartment) with filtration and purification tools to incorporate nearby water sources. We also have a bug out plan and packs prepared if staying put becomes impossible.

We have arrived at this solution after reading posts on this forum and Cody Lundin's new book "when all hell breaks loose (the art of keeping your ass alive when disaster strikes)". We have found both sources very useful when considering long-term emergency priorities and situations. Our next strategy is training...taking first aid courses and survival courses to educate ourselves on self-reliance and community contribution.

Thanks to you all for sharing your advice and personal solutions! I'm convinced that community is how to survive the long term.

Cheers,
Nemo

#115509 - 12/11/07 09:10 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: Loganenator]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Originally Posted By: Nemo
Originally Posted By: Microage97
I am going to put up 20 months of water or so and maybe plan on scrounging more if needed after some time passes during the "event."
Dave

Great Scott! Doug Ritter recommends a planned minimum of 3 gallons/person/day and in a family of 4 (without pets) that is 12 gallons/day * 30 days/month * 20 months = 7200 gallons!!! Or put another way...131 of those 55 gallon barrels!

Where do you put that much water Dave?

~Nemo

Wow did I type that? I must have been on the bottle while typing.... I will be looking at maybe 2 months or so, maybe 3.

Dave

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.