Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#115251 - 12/09/07 10:23 PM Oh the pain!!!!
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, I won't say what I was doing this morning, but I am being reminded of just how nasty lower back pain can be now. I had a chronic lower back injury back in my early 30s, and it took years to get over it. Once in a while I will aggravate it and the old pain comes back. We're talking stooped over, walking like Tim Conway's old man character, endorphine generating knife in the back kinda pain. I am eating the Ibuprofren like they were Pez candies, and the wife wants to put one of those pop out turkey temp indicators in my belly button cuz I've got the heating pad cranked up to max and she wants to make sure I don't overcook.

The bad news is I have to fly to Denver for a three day interview tomorrow morning. 3+ hours in an economy class seat is not going to be very good. I hope corporate appreciates my sacrifice.

I can only imagine how debilitating such an ailment would be were I to suffer this in a survival situation, which is entirely possible. Short of carrying a syringe full of Demoral with me, how else would you deal with this kind of injury?

#115253 - 12/09/07 10:32 PM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I do the following:

Put/pour epsom salts (generously) and a 12 oz bottle of green alcohol into the bath tub. Fill the bath tub with the hottest water that you can comfortably stand. Get into the tub, with a good book and soak/read until the water starts to feel cool. Get out nice and slow and you will find that you feel much better. Do this two times a day for about 3 days (more if you feel the need).

It has always gotten me recovered in about 3 days. I still move carefully for the next month so as not to aggravate the lower back muscles.

#115254 - 12/09/07 10:37 PM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Having been there, done that (not having had one single totally pain free day since April of 1983), I can say with all sincerity that I feel your pain. I too eat 800mg motrin like candy. Got several super duper muscle relaxants, but I have found that rum and/or vodka does just as well, and tastes better. One thing you might try is stretching exercises. Lay on your back and bring both knees up to your chest (like doing a cannonball into the pool). Hold for a while, stretch out, repeat half a dozen or so times). Then do one leg at a time, same thing. There are more, but it would take me forever to describe them. If you go visit a licensed physical massage therapist he/she can show you all. Good luck, and I do not envy you your time inflight. I hope you get a front row seat in first class, at least that way you can stretch out...

#115255 - 12/09/07 10:48 PM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: benjammin]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Speaking from experience I can "feel your pain". I have 4 discs that are completely gone, beyond herniated.
First time I dealt with this was almost 6 years ago, did the drug thing for a couple of years and also did lots of physical therapy.
Best thing I learned is daily stretching, each and every day as soon as I get up. Any good physical therapist can set you up with a good series of stretching excercises that will provide not only short-term relief but long-term benefits.
My back "goes out" on me once a year or so and with the stretching it's really not anywhere near as bad as it used to be and I recover much more quickly. I no longer use any drugs except a couple of Aleve each morning.
Good luck.

#115261 - 12/09/07 11:31 PM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: benjammin]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Short of carrying a syringe full of Demoral with me, how else would you deal with this kind of injury?

Personal experience, plus what I saw during SAR missions, convinced me in some cases, you do need some serious pain meds as well as/or anti-inflamitories when in back country, or in a bugout/survival situation. Most commercial FAK's, IMHO, are very limited in pain and anti-inflammatory meds.
My personal support kit currently has 25 Advil 200mg in it along with a full script of hydrocodone since I destroyed my ACL and fractured my femur and tibia. I have a 10 count Advil tube, (about the size of a chapstick) that will hold 25 Advil 200mg tablets.

I have this sized easy to identify packaging of Bayer, Advil, Dramamine, Benedryl, Tylenol that have been replacked (filled) in my Personal Support Med Kit. Wrapping the label with clear packing tape keeps the name/directions from being worn off the labels. The are marked with expiration dates also.

#115280 - 12/10/07 12:49 AM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: Stu]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Yeah - for some reason Advil works better than most things

I not only have a script for Hydrocodone - I actually have pills, mostly because of my leg

One hint - Advil and hydrocodone can be "chased" - - you don't have to wait for the advil to wear off before you take hydrocodone if the advil doesn't work

Another pair that can be chased is Advil and Tylenol - each are take "every 4 hours" - take each - 2 hours apart, alternating
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#115285 - 12/10/07 12:54 AM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: Stu]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Well, I finally remembered I have a jet tub, and after about an hour in that thing I am feeling a bit more limber. I still walk funny, but at least I can sit up now.

It may be a long few days in Denver...

#115288 - 12/10/07 12:58 AM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...I finally remembered I have a jet tub..."

You FORGOT that? The shame. Our hot tub has a sign posted stating "No Suits In The Spa"...

#115289 - 12/10/07 01:02 AM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I blame it on the endorphines, and a little bourbon.

Sometimes self-medicating is an involuntary response.

#115290 - 12/10/07 01:07 AM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...self-medicating is an involuntary response..."

Tell me about it. Glad you are at least a little better. Let us know you you are in the am...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.