Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#114826 - 12/05/07 03:11 PM Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)

#114829 - 12/05/07 03:27 PM Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know [Re: 91gdub]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

#5 Retouch Digital Photos

Hardly an important skill, unless you consider posting joke pictures of your friends online for everyone to laugh at important.

#114831 - 12/05/07 03:42 PM Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Glad to know I can do everything on their list already. smile

#114833 - 12/05/07 04:02 PM Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should kno [Re: Paul810]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I bought this issue and was disappointed with the list. I'm sure each of us could make our own lists and they'd be a whole lot more practical.

The 'clean a bolt action rifle' especially stood out. Why should I know how to do this? I don't own a bolt action rifle and don't have plans to buy one LOL.

Edited by Hacksaw (12/05/07 06:02 PM)

#114850 - 12/05/07 06:34 PM Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should kno [Re: 91gdub]
MarshAviator Offline
Marsh Aviator
Journeyman

Loc: Baton Rouge, LA, USA
They seemed to miss first aid ?
CPR while really life saving, is less frequent than simple first aid.
Clean a fire arm would have been a better choice too.
And as for the digital photo, that's just plain silly.
What about Jump start a car ?
Also balance a budget ?

#114852 - 12/05/07 06:48 PM Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should kno [Re: MarshAviator]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

First aid should be at the top of the list...definitely above how to frame a wall...why would I 'need' to know that?

#114856 - 12/05/07 07:43 PM Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know [Re: 91gdub]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Due to lack of patience, I didn't look through the whole list, but thought I could come up with a list of useful stuff I think guys should know and be able to do. grin And yes, it is colored by the men I know. Deal with it.

1. Check the kitchen garbage and if it's at least 3/4 full, take it out. There is no need to wait until it's mashed solid, running over the top and leaking before you see the need.

2. If you're going to shoot at things, think about the entire path of the bullet, not just the part between the weapon and the target.

3. Change a diaper so it stays up when the baby stands up (without you vomiting or fainting). Think of it as an engineering trial, as babies don't have much in the way of waists or hips. Diapers can be trickier than they look. (DO NOT duct tape the diaper to the baby's skin!)

4. Learn how to vacuum a room properly. This doesn't mean just standing in front of the TV while vacuuming one spot over and over while you're watching the game. (Guys are genetically unable to dust, so we won't even go there.)

5. Learn how to put up shelves. Start with the garage to work out the kinks.

6. Many of the best chefs in the world are men -- it's not a gay thing. Learn to cook a few things well. Offer to cook an occasional dinner for your wife or GF. You get extra points if you are able to catch them before they hit the ground immediately after you suggest it.

7. Yes, I know that guys tend to use every container in the house (including the dog's water bowl) when they cook. So, do the dishes when you're finished.

8. Learn basic First Aid. If you have kids, you should be able to handle knee scrapes, minor cuts and burns, so learn to do them right.

9. Even if you can't homeschool, teach your kids stuff. Most schools are incompetent, so if you don't teach them, probably no one else will. It's your responsibility.

10. Getting your dogs and cats spayed and/or neutered has nothing to do with doing the same to you. If you have pets, be a responsible owner.

11. Your SO's work day doesn't stop when she walks through the front door, so why should yours?

12. You get it dirty, you clean it. Period. Clothes, dishes, floors, whatever.

13. Throwing furry food out is perfectly okay. You don't have to ask permission. If you can't tell what it used to be, toss it.

14. Neither the back seat nor the front passenger seat floor are trash recepticles. If your passenger's knees are under their chin, the trash level has surpassed the disgusting state.

15. Some of the information you've acquired from other guys is inaccurate. Learn to tell the difference. (Adding water to setting concrete is one of them.)

16. If you don't take care of your tools, don't borrow any from someone else.

17. If you can do favors for a neighbor, coworker or stranger, you can do them at home.

I'm sure there are lots more ;), but these are off the top of my head.

Sue

#114858 - 12/05/07 07:49 PM Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know [Re: Susan]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Sounds more like Susan's 25 rules for men rather than 25 things a man should know how to do.

#114861 - 12/05/07 08:25 PM Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know [Re: Susan]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
How come I have to do the dish and cook dinner but no one but me can unplug the garbage disposal, fix a stuck drawer, install a new lock etc.....
Have 3 woman in my house hold.

Cheers

#114869 - 12/05/07 08:52 PM Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know [Re: atoz]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Sorry, the list was flawed from the start.

The number one thing every man should know is that the wife is always right. If you don't think so, just ask mine!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.