Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#115179 - 12/09/07 12:43 AM Are there posts missing
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Wasn't there a post earlier about gold and silver? I'm just wondering what happened to it. I just caught the very beginning of it, and was hoping to come back and read some more but then it disappeared. Now that I think about it, once in a while i'll start reading something and intend to come back to finish it but then it disappears.

If things did turn negative, couldn't we just lock the post to prevent any further replies rather than deleting it?

#115186 - 12/09/07 02:41 AM Re: Are there posts missing [Re: ducktapeguy]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I posted a reply to something about 30 mins ago, and it is a gonner now. It wasn't anything wild or out of place, so I don't think that it got zapped, it is just gone...???...

#115193 - 12/09/07 03:26 AM Re: Are there posts missing [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I just did a search for silver coins- nada. Going back a month for something talked about a week ago.

I hope posts aren't getting eaten again.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#115215 - 12/09/07 02:34 PM Re: Are there posts missing [Re: ducktapeguy]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
It was my post, I had read the book "Lights Out" and in the book they used silver coins to purchase items they needed. I wanted to know if thats something that should be considered. The answers varied. Most said yes but almost as many said no and then we got on the topic of bartering, I asked what items and how much of each would be recommended to put aside for that purpose, we never got that far.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#115232 - 12/09/07 07:10 PM Re: Are there posts missing [Re: Shadow_oo00]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

I didn't participate in the previous thread because I had no opinion one way or the other, but oddly, since then I have seen a couple of TV shows about precious-metal coins, and the LDS preparedness manual posted on another thread also advises accumulating such coins. Perhaps we should revisit the subject?

Years ago I was a checker in a grocery store, and every time a silver dime (I don't think I found any quarters) would show up in my till, I would swap it out for a clad-copper one in my pocket. I ended up with a small handful.

Where would you get precious metal coins? Coin shows of course, but given that the price to buy them is already many times their face value, is it feasible? In my TV watching, they mentioned a new (?) silver dollar coin made of real silver. If it is new currency, I wonder if you can get those at the bank? I have a couple of old silver-certificate paper dollars. Do they still have to give you silver on demand for them at the bank?

#115236 - 12/09/07 07:36 PM Re: Are there posts missing [Re: DFW]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

I don't know about getting them at the local bank, I do know you can get them from some of the TV programs and also in the newspaper, and Ebay is also an option.

#115244 - 12/09/07 09:39 PM Re: Are there posts missing [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

I'm still looking for a reply to my question about bartering, what items and whats a reasonable amount set aside for bartering, seems no one wants to tackle it. I mean I have a pretty good Idea just wanted to see what everyone else thinks and if I'm missing anything.

#115247 - 12/09/07 10:03 PM Re: Are there posts missing [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Barter items, IMHO
Food & water
Medicine
Firearms & Ammo
Personal skills
Batteries and matches
car parts

#115248 - 12/09/07 10:05 PM Re: Are there posts missing [Re: Shadow_oo00]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

Shouldn't / couldn't bartering and coins be separate threads to ensure that those that have strong opinions on one or the other have free discussion of their preferred method without feeling inhibited by those with the opposite preference?

Both seem valid topics for discussion.

Perhaps an argementative trend is what got the thread deleted in the first place?

#115252 - 12/09/07 10:25 PM Re: Are there posts missing [Re: DFW]
OIMO Offline
Opinion Is My Own
Journeyman

Loc: UK
I would add toiletries to the list of barter items. esp. Toilet Paper, Wipes, etc.

On Gold & Silver front 'bullion coins', i.e. those whose value is effectively tied to the value of the material, as distinct from rare old coins made from precious metals, that have a greater value than their material worth are what you should be looking for. Examples of bullion coins include the Kruggerand, Canadian Maple and Gold Eagle.

Take a look at this site from loads of background info, it is in the UK, but they will ship to the US:
http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/coinsorbars.html

The ETS audience might especially like this coin design:
http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/2007fiftypencegoldproofscouting.html

BTW Gold is setting record prices at the moment, so it is perhaps not the best time to start building a hoard!

Edited by OIMO (12/09/07 10:40 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.