The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#115006 - 12/07/07 01:54 AM Cabela's whipcord pants and SW100 finish
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi,

I would like to acquire whipcord wool pants that look good enough for the city and are thicker than dress pants with a tight twill weave to help shed the snow and block some wind.

I have two candidates: Filson whipcord wool pants (expensive) and Cabela's Superwash whipcord wool pants.

Do you know what this SW100 finish actually is and if there are any downsides to it?

Would you recommend the Filson instead?

Thanks
Frankie

#115026 - 12/07/07 06:15 AM Re: Cabela's whipcord pants and SW100 finish [Re: Frankie]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I have the whipcord wool shirt (made from the same material as the pants) from Cabela's, and I like it so much, I'm probably going to order the pants and another shirt. From what I understand, the SW100 finish is more like a coating which covers the fibers and allow them to slide against each other and prevent them from interlocking with each other. It is this interlocking of fibers that gives wool it's reputation for shrinking. So far I don't see any downside to it. I suppose it could wear off, but after reading the long term reviews on the Cabelas site, it doesn't sound like it would

I don't have any experience with the Filsons, if there was a place around here that sells them, I probably would have bought one.

#115047 - 12/07/07 04:07 PM Re: Cabela's whipcord pants and SW100 finish [Re: Frankie]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have two pair or Filson whipcord pants and highly recommend them. They cannot be washed of course, but they wear well, are not itchy and have maintained their fit. I have worn mine quite a bit and they are going on their 4th year of use. I generally only dry clean mine once a year.

I have a load of Filson clothes and in every case they have exceeded my expectations for comfort, durability and functionality. I generally have found Filson's to be bargains....only expensive at purchase time, since they give years of service are much less expensive in the long run.

The whipcord pants look good for work wear and have the right sort of fit for field wear. They are not too thick and hot for work wear either. They are not totally windproof and snow will stick to them to some degree, but they are not any different in those respects than any other wool pants.

I have no experience with the Cabelas pants.

Edited by Schwert (12/07/07 04:09 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.