The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#93228 - 05/02/07 01:03 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
You might be right, but to me it seems like we are heading towards some dark days with Iran and maybe N. Korea. If things went down hill, people prolly will be shooting each other in the streets, don'tcha think? There were a lot of things that happened in New Orleans that the news didn't cover.....

Dave

#93229 - 05/02/07 01:06 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: wolf]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Well I am still pretty young, maybe not in the best of shape, but we will be digging in for the long haul, at least until we can move out to the country side. We live in the center of St. Paul and when TEOTW hits, I am thinking that it will be too dangerous for a family of 4 to make a run for it. Maybe I should get some of the 35 gal barrels.

Dave

#93233 - 05/02/07 01:28 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: Microage97]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OK, 35 gallons, at 8 pounds and change per gallon, plus the barrel. Can every member of the family move that? Open it? Can you open it with your arm in a sling or with a busted up leg?

Assume that when the worst happens, it is going to be worse than you thought.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#93408 - 05/03/07 01:24 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: ironraven]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Ya i guess your right. Well Maybe I will get some of those drums and a good stash of the 5 and 7 gallon jugs. How much water do most people keep on hand? 1 month? 2 months?

Thanks for your time.

Dave

#93409 - 05/03/07 01:49 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: Microage97]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Personally, we keep three 55-gallon barrles of water on hand. They are raised up with spigots at the bottle like another member mentioned. We also have four 7-gallon aquatainers and two 2.5 aquatainers on hand (empty). In the freezer are four 1-gallon bottles of water (ice).

The aquatainers get filled if a hurricane is predicted, along with our two tubs. At the beginning of hurricane season we purchase 12-16 1-gallon bottles of water.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#114691 - 12/04/07 03:18 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: Microage97]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Well an update of sorts. I saw a movie a short time ago where a terrorist poisoned the water supply of a larger city. T/he movie dealt with how people act when pushed to the edge, IE more like animals ect, fighting over pre-bottled water that was scarce and the highways were flooded and pretty much impassable do to people running out of gas and stealing other's water that could be seen in cars...

Well anyways I am felling that we are really in bad shape here in this country concerning other countries in this world. I am going to put up 20 months of water or so and maybe plan on scrounging more if needed after some time passes during the "event."

Dave

#114696 - 12/04/07 03:53 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: Microage97]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
It seems my knowledge of aqua tainers is quite limited. I am only familiar with the 7 gallon variety. Looks like I have some more portable options available! I'll be checking into that as soon as I hit "submit"

Most of our stored water is in the 7 gallon 'tainers. These are stored on a rack in the basement. I have not upped our stock since our one year came into our lives... but before our baby, we had enough for two weeks, plus one 'tainer to use every day...so we would always have at least the two weeks worth plus what we are currently using. I am the only one who can move them in the family, so the intent is to use them for bugging in. We keep bottled water on another shelf in the basement. Conveniently, each 20 pack of bottled water is about a three day supply for one person. The weight is manageable for my wife, and I remind her often that if they need to bug out and I'm not around that she needs to load up those packs of water.

I fill up my daily water bottles from those big 'tainers so I keep rotating the stock. We're moving in late winter or early spring, and my plan is to have one of those water softeners/drinking water systems put in, so I'm not sure how that rotation will work...I'll be too lazy to go get the water from the basement instead of the spigot next to the tap.

#114734 - 12/04/07 06:10 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: Ors]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Ors
...Conveniently, each 20 pack of bottled water is about a three day supply for one person....

Hi !
What's the volume of each of these 20 bottle ??

#114788 - 12/05/07 03:49 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: Ors]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Sounds like a plan to me. I need to grab a few more containers and think about a racking option for the basement as they do take a lot of space in our only closet.

Dave

#114900 - 12/06/07 02:13 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: Microage97]
mark161 Offline
Diver

Loc: US
Working on 4 55gal drums in basement hooked through one of the water lines so it is always full and is recycled new every time you open the faucet. Plus when the power goes out valves are built into the bottom for a gravity feed, and since i live in the country on a little farm I also have a full size hand pump by the barn that has better tasting water than the house well.

Mark

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.