Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114793 - 12/05/07 03:58 AM Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I love my Swedish Mess kit but at almost three pounds it was way to heavy.
Luckily I have a Dremel tool and like Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

Write-up here.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#114800 - 12/05/07 05:55 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: Blast]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
That’s just a work of art, man! wink

#114801 - 12/05/07 06:03 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: JCWohlschlag]
LED Offline
Veteran

Very nice Blast. I have an extra Trangia burner that will soon have a Dinty Moore home. Question: What did you use to make the screen stay put? Epoxy? Flue tape?

#114805 - 12/05/07 09:00 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That looks very good and very functional. I'm also curious about how you attached the screen, soulder??

What's the weight???

#114810 - 12/05/07 12:56 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: wildman800]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

The entire cookset (burner, windscreen, pot, matches, bic lighter, plastic fork, plastic spoon, EMPTY fuel bottle, and a bag to hold everything weighes just 1.15 pounds.

I originally planned to hold the screen in with rivets, but it turns out it doesn't need anything. I bent the screen so that its curvature was greater than the can. The springiness of the expanded metal screen wedges it in place.

I may make a secondary windscreen which will be just a bit bigger than the pot, but I haven't used this set in any conditions where I've needed something to stop the heat loss from the pot. With this design all the burners heat gets directed to the bottom of the pot. Very little heat escapes unused.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#114909 - 12/06/07 03:39 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Looks great- my only concern is lighting the stove. I've had trouble with that with my add ons.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114925 - 12/06/07 07:29 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: ironraven]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Aloha Blast, nicely done. How much thermite do you put in your stove?

As usual, I enjoyed reading your blog. You are so blessed with such a beautiful family. You get lots of dirt time and you have a propensity to blow things up. Man, what more can a guy ask for?

#114936 - 12/06/07 01:22 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
my only concern is lighting the stove.

It's no problem. The bottom of the Dinty Moore can was also cut off. I just light the burner as normal, set the Dinty Moore windscreen/potstand over it, then set the pot on top. Ten minutes layer I'm eating rehydrated goo.

-Blast

#114954 - 12/06/07 05:21 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: aloha]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
How much thermite do you put in your stove?

25g to boil water, 37g to heat up a can of chili, and if my calculations are correct, 2 lbs of thermite in three stages to cook a turkey. wink

-Blast

#115009 - 12/07/07 02:22 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
You still haven't tried this? *grins* We so need to have an ETS retreat. If for no other reason than the thermite turkey.

Although, I don't know if I can make anything out of those left overs. *laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#134946 - 06/06/08 12:45 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: Blast]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Hi all - sorry to necropost here, but I was wondering if anyone had a line on the Swedish Trangia stove/mess kits.

Several months back, Sportsman's Guide had a fantastic deal on them - four Swedish mess kits and eight of the stoves and alcohol bottles for just over $20. I didn't have any cash in the "fun money" account at the time, and then suddenly (not surprisingly) they were gone. Has anyone seen a similar deal? I'm constantly kicking myself on this, because I'd love to have a couple for the cars and a few more to stash away in different places.

My normal places to look for these don't seem to have them anymore - has anyone seen a place to pick up a few?

Thanks

Dave

#134947 - 06/06/08 12:55 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: DaveT]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I just grabbed one from the local Army Navy store (Whitehall, PA) for about $16. They had some left but the rest were a little rough.

I haven't tried mine yet, perhaps I won't like it...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#134956 - 06/06/08 02:02 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: DaveT]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Cheaper than Dirt lists one for $11.97. I have not purchased from them in a long time, apparently lately some folks have had some problems with orders from them, so order at your own risk...

#135049 - 06/07/08 01:31 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Weird...this was a discontinued item for them and Sportsman's Guide the last few months (when I'd looked)...I'd stopped looking and assumed the source for these had dried up.

Thanks

Dave

#135052 - 06/07/08 02:00 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: DaveT]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Nothing ever dries up, the price just goes up...

#135120 - 06/08/08 01:17 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: DaveT]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

They come in waves to Sportsman's Guide. Wait a month or two and they'll probably get more in stock. But jump on them fast because they are in high demand.

-Blast

#135167 - 06/08/08 06:09 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: Blast]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Try cheaper than dirt they have them in stock last time I checked. zrw-170 is the product #.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#135247 - 06/09/08 11:43 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: ]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

So, how's this for coincidence? Blast says to keep checking, and I went back to Sportsman's Guide and they now have 10-packs of the stoves, the alcohol bottles and the stove "sleeves" - the outer wind guards for the mess kits. But, not the mess kits themselves.

So I ordered a set - I've got various mess kits to use, and the stoves were what I wanted. Weird, isn't it?

Thanks for suggesting I look again

Dave

#135253 - 06/09/08 12:43 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: DaveT]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
That's great, because I tried mine out this weekend and its pretty neat. Looks like Dinty Moore Beef Stew for lunch today...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#135286 - 06/09/08 05:20 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: thseng]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Figured I should add in a link to the items. Here's the deal from Sportsman's Guide - which I just ordered:

Sportsman's Guide - 10 stoves, bottles, stands (no mess kit)

Cheaper Than Dirt - with mess kit

Dave

#135590 - 06/11/08 09:22 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: DaveT]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

OK, so my order has arrived. It's...a pretty huge stack of the burner stands filled with the fuel bottles and Trangia stoves. They all seem to be in pretty good shape. There's some slight staining on the outside of the stoves - anyone know what this is and how to get it off?

And Blast, how big was the big Dinty Moore can you used to shield your burner? I'll need to make a couple (or a lot) of those, unless I can find find a couple of the Swedish mess kits alone (without the stove kit and stand). Anyone want to trade a Swedish mess kit (or two) for a pair of the stove sets/bottles/burner stands? smile

#135615 - 06/12/08 12:52 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: DaveT]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

The discoloration is just tarnish plus maybe a little color change due to heat. Try cleaning it with Brasso or some other metal polish.

I think the Dinty More stew was a 24oz can, but I'm not sure. It's 3.75 inches tall, so you can do what I do, walk around the grocery store with a ruler measuring cans. For extra fun, don't bathe that day and mumble about aliens in your sock drawer.
whistle
-Blast

#135625 - 06/12/08 01:24 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...measuring cans..."

Been there, done that. But, if you plan on cutting both ends out of the can with a normal can opener, but sure to inspect the bottom of the can. Some cans are formed from one piece of metal, so there is no rim on the bottom, making it a little hard to run a can opener, or P-38 for that matter, around it...

#135629 - 06/12/08 01:39 AM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: Blast]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Blast
For extra fun, don't bathe that day and mumble about aliens in your sock drawer.

Are you sure about that? I always heard it's best to get out your cell phone and quote a certain line from one of my favorite movies. "Hello? Cobra Bubbles? Aliens are attacking my house."

Follow that with, "They want my dog!"

At this point you may want to have an actual alien with you trying to ease an explosive situation. "There's no need to alert the authorities. Everything's under control."

And finally you top it all with, "Oh, good, my dog found the chainsaw."

Jeanette Isabelle

#135658 - 06/12/08 12:03 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Some cans are formed from one piece of metal, so there is no rim on the bottom, making it a little hard to run a can opener, or P-38 for that matter, around it...

Dremel tool, all the cutting and humming power of a lightsaber and a similar lightshow when you slice through it's powercord...
grin

-Blast

#135671 - 06/12/08 01:36 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...a similar lightshow when you slice through it's powercord..."

You do that too huh? Little bit of electricians tape and you are (maybe) back in business...

#135675 - 06/12/08 01:49 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

After someone here made reference to outdooridiots.com, I went there for a look, and found this . What an interesting windscreen!!!

#135690 - 06/12/08 02:55 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
After someone here made reference to outdooridiots.com, I went there for a look, and found this . What an interesting windscreen!!!

A piece of collapsible clothes dryer vent ducting… brilliant!

#135712 - 06/12/08 03:44 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: JCWohlschlag]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Another one of those "why didn't I think of that" things...

#135728 - 06/12/08 05:19 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Guiness in a bottle! Brilliant!!!

#150799 - 10/03/08 01:31 PM Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset [Re: Mike_H]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

For anyone (like myself) who got in on the Sportsman's Guide deal of 10 Swedish alcohol burners, pot stands and bottles but was left to search for the mess kit that fits into it, I've found one place with a good price on just the mess kits that doesn't also kill you on the shipping and handling charges. Actually, if you have time to wait for it to arrive, they have free shipping.

Swedish mess kit

If you take them up on the free shipping offer, they send it along on the slow boat - or rather, they wait a week or so to box it up, then send it UPS ground. It took about two weeks for my order to reach me, but it did get there and the kits are in what appears to be new/unpainted/unissued condition (they do have some scratches). However, mine's aluminum instead of the stated stainless.

A good value for the price, however - and the usual "not affiliated" disclaimers apply.

Dave

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.