Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#114427 - 12/01/07 07:41 PM weight is the enemy!
Hacksaw
Unregistered

This morning I stripped all my gear from all my packs and weighed nearly every kit and every item I have which I could possibly put into a BOB/Ready Pack/Survival Kit/ETC. I haven't gotten into weighing clothing yet...but I plan to.

Why did I do this? My damn backpack weighs a ton! I don't have the money to just grab something and say, "Wow this feels heavy. I think I'll go buy another one of these only made from the latest ultralightium for only hundreds of dollars!". Also, I'm 30 years old and I'd like my knees to last another 30 as even through I drive I carry this stuff around a lot...not all of it all the time...but a lot of it a lot of the time. I'm hoping that by looking at what everything weighs, I can find the worst offenders and either modify the load, get rid of it, or *shudder* replace it with something else. And to think I usually shake my head when I read about ounce counting ultralighters.

Why am I posting about it? Well! I'm going to put all my findings and analysis into a Google documents spreadsheet and make it public so you can all benefit from my obsessive compulsiveness. It's going to be a living document (that is continually updated) which any of you fine people can reference for weights on things...or to use as a ballpark for similar items you'd like to buy but don't know the weight of.

What do I want in return?...just your love...er...I mean advice. The collective brain which is the ETS forum should be able to help me shed some pounds...from my pack that is...

I'll post the link later today once I've done all the data entry. Let the opinions begin! I normally get defensive with the 'you don't need that!' comments but this time I think I could use some of that. I think I can hear ironraven typing already!

#114435 - 12/01/07 08:20 PM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Speaking of removing weight.....

Just today I went out to my truck and cleaned out the back. Took out all the cleaning stuff I don't need in the winter (that would probably freeze and make a mess anyway), as well as some other stuff I could do without. When all was said and done I removed about a duffel bag full of stuff I either don't need entirely or just don't need in winter.

Not only do I now have more room for other stuff I may need to carry, but I probably improved my gas mileage and overall performance. It's pretty much win-win.

Usually twice a year I make a habit of going through all my gear, checking the expiration dates on everything, as well as removing stuff that is overly redundant or just never used. I can't think of any time when I really wished I had something I decided to take out. Usually, it works out for the better.

#114447 - 12/01/07 09:45 PM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: Paul810]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I only have a few things to weigh (tricksy stuff like packs and clothes)and everything else is put into the following Google spreadsheet published for all to view. I even did it in lbs and ounces to spare you all the agony of kilograms. All items were weighed on the same digital kitchen scale. If the weights on the sheet don't match what a manufacturer says, I don't care...what they claim isn't what I have to carry.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pNqWMHytWaM92d-srG6iBeQ

I'm going to hyperlink the names to their product pages online because even I forget what the hell some of that stuff is sometimes.

I've filled in some weight sub totals for my EDC stuff but not for anything else yet (Sar Ready Pack, BOB, etc)...working on it. That's the part where the thought comes in...what to include and what to not include.

There will also be a breakdown of the kits eventually because looking at the numbers I think some of them are the part of the problem.

I'm impressed that the total so far is under 70 lbs for EVERYTHING (and I would never carry EVERYTHING) including food and quite a bit of water...I guessed much higher.

#114477 - 12/02/07 03:20 AM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*laughs*

That's becuase this my area of interest. Skills are great, even better than gear, but gear makes it easier.

How much does it weight now? I am doubtful of the 1000kg claim. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114484 - 12/02/07 04:05 AM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Hacksaw,

Very useful! Thank you for doing this.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#114487 - 12/02/07 04:11 AM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: Blast]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Hacksaw,

I'd love to see more details about your kit because it looks pretty good. Maybe some pics?? smile

#114489 - 12/02/07 04:37 AM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: Rusty]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Weighing a ton was a figure of speech of course (leave it to ironraven to find the chink in my choice of words wink )

I vary the contents to the situation but the last time I packed it with a full load (minus food and water) it was almost 40 lbs. Plenty of space left in the 60L pack but just too heavy to be practical...especially once you add water! AND this is with no tent or bivy either.

The spreadsheet is turning out better than I planned...there are more features than the last time I used this particular Google nugget...really becoming more of a planning tool than just a record of weights.

Only a few more things to weigh. The packs are tricky to weigh on a kitchen scale but if I have to I'll borrow a digital fish scale to do it...a few pieces of clothing are in the wash. I'll weigh them once they're spring fresh.

I'll try to take pictures as I put everything back. It's a big pile on the kitchen table right now.

#114491 - 12/02/07 04:53 AM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: ]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Nice spreadsheet!

As for weighing the packs, step on the bathroom scale and weigh yourself. Next don the pack and re-weigh again, you can now figure out the weight of the pack.

When I do this, I only count the lb weight not the ounces of the pack overall. The way I look at it, a few ounces out on the pack weight is not going to break me...I'll just have to eat a few less Timbits !

#114492 - 12/02/07 04:56 AM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: ]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
32 years ago at age 25, I walked across Europe with an 80lb pack - 1800 miles or so from Oostende Belgium to Palermo Sicily. Since I was there for a year, I had to cover all contingencies, weather, clothing and camping wise. Today I have one bad hip and two bad knees. Of course some of that may have come from high school football or jumping out of airplanes. But I recommend a lighter load unless you're in really really good shape. Gimping around at my current age is doable, but sometimes it's not much fun.

#114493 - 12/02/07 05:10 AM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: saniterra]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That's precisely what I'm trying to avoid saniterra. Less weight means less physical stress and less exertion required. It's hard for me to part with all my toys though so careful planning is the only way I can get the proverbial kitchen sink out of my packs.

80lbs must have left you beat at the end of the day! So far my theoretical numbers put the pack at just over 60lbs if I were to put everything in I wanted to without care for weight. I know I could carry this much weight if I had to...but I wouldn't be happy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.