Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#114743 - 12/04/07 06:57 PM warning: don't use hotel glasses for drinking
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I found video of ABC investigation of poor hygiene conduct by many large chain hotels such as Embassy suite, Sheraton. The hotel don't wash the glasses but the cleaning staff use Windex to rinse the glass.

http://www.bestviral.com/video/6629/dont_ever_drink_from_hotel_glasses

this video really turns my stomach.
I advise everyone to avoid using hotel glasses.

#114752 - 12/04/07 08:42 PM Re: warning: don't use hotel glasses for drinking [Re: picard120]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I don't use hotel glasses unless their paper...but even then you need to beware. I usually buy or bring bottled water.

The last time I stayed in a hotel the coffee machine was full of water and had several moldy teabags in the reservoir.

#114764 - 12/04/07 09:49 PM Re: warning: don't use hotel glasses for drinking [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
If glass, I just wash them when I get in the room.

#114766 - 12/04/07 10:22 PM Re: warning: don't use hotel glasses for drinking [Re: picard120]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Best not sleep on the hotel sheets, either.

#114769 - 12/04/07 11:07 PM Re: warning: don't use hotel glasses for drinking [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
The is a bed bug epidemic in hotels in many cities. Look around when you first go in a room. While you won't catch everything, you might decide it is your best interest to get another room/hotel.
Don't ever go into a restaurant kitchen, or you may never eat out again.

#114772 - 12/04/07 11:53 PM Re: warning: don't use hotel glasses for drinking [Re: Stu]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: SBRaider
The is a bed bug epidemic in hotels in many cities. Look around when you first go in a room. While you won't catch everything, you might decide it is your best interest to get another room/hotel.

Restaurant kitchens are generally safer germ wise then most home kitchens. Also when people get food poisoning, they do not realize that many types of food poisoning can take anywhere from 4 hours to 10 days to develop yet they blame it on the restaurant they ate lunch at yesterday. hat being said, yes there are lot of disgusting restaurant kitchens out there and many cities/counties publish health inspection reports on their respective websites.

If you really want to get paranoid about food borne illnesses , take a local food safety course, I had to take the course 2x....it will make you think twice about putting any food in your mouth smile

From this website:
Myth #3 - "Food prepared at home is much safer than restaurant food. If I get foodborne illness, it is probably because I ate something bad at a restaurant."

In fact, the opposite is true. Experts say that poor home food-handling practices cause more foodborne illness than professionally prepared food. Most professional food handlers have been trained in safe techniques and are careful about how the food is prepared, cooked and stored. After all, an outbreak of foodborne illness traced to a restaurant can permanently harm business.

At home, however, most people think they use safe practices. "I've always done it this way, and no one has gotten sick in the past," is often heard. Well, you may have gotten sick many times and thought you had the flu. (See Myth #1) Also, there are many more dangers in foods than there used to be. Salmonella has appeared in raw eggs, E. coli in ground beef, and exotic bugs on the imported fruits that have recently appeared in our supermarkets.

Educate yourself on safe food practices. Be willing to change your attitudes about handling food in your kitchen. Your family and your stomach will thank you.

#114781 - 12/05/07 01:46 AM Re: warning: don't use hotel glasses for drinking [Re: picard120]
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
Originally Posted By: picard120
I advise everyone to avoid using hotel glasses.

One swallow* does not make a summer.

Just because you have found 'evidence' of a certain practice happening one time in one place does not automatically make it endemic. Instead, you should treat that video for what it is- sensationalist reporting in order to attract viewers to advertisments.

A

* From a clean glass, of course.

#114795 - 12/05/07 04:11 AM Re: warning: don't use hotel glasses for drinking [Re: Stu]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:

And don't be worried about the health inspector's numerical score. Take the time to read it because some of the things that deduct points may not be a big concern. I've seen them take points off for where one of the employees had her pocketbook setting.

#114807 - 12/05/07 12:19 PM Re: warning: don't use hotel glasses for drinking [Re: UTAlumnus]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Last hotel I stayed in near St. Louis, I woke up to find myself and the bed COVERED in hundreds of black ants!

Was not happy to say the least.....

#114824 - 12/05/07 03:10 PM Re: warning: don't use hotel glasses for drinking [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Ahh, how much moreso out in the wild? Imagine the hygenic difficulties associated with cooking food up at elk camp for a week, or two. Even the best of coolers won't last you that long. How about the old chuckwagon days, when they had no refrigeration, and often not even enough water to cook and clean proper. You find out real quick, not everything has to get washed off. Fire can do a pretty good job if you know how to use it right.

Typically I would run three jelly boilers on the stovetop or fire for dishwashing. The first was the soapy water, the second the rinse, and the third the sterilizer, with plenty of commercial grade sterilizer agent and as hot as I could stand to put my hand in. Having worked as a dishwasher while in high school at a smorgasboard type restaurant, I learnt how to do the three sink system pretty well.

Even so, a typical meal for a crew of 8 would take at least 7 gallons of water if I used enamel plates and cups and metal flatware. We switched to paper and plastic and it still took 7 gallons of water once a day to clean the utensils, mixing bowls, etc (I had to stock enough utensils and such to do three meals between washes). That didn't include the cooking liquid, such as for pasta or rice. Then there was also the water needed for washing hands and face before each meal, which took at least a gallon every meal if everyone was frugal about it.

If I had my druthers, my next home kitchen would be stainless steel counters, tiled walls and floor, and big deep stainless steel sinks with their own water heater, and maybe an industrial style dishwasher machine. Of course, that might be a bit much for just me and the wife, but at least I know how to make that work. I'll add that to the list that includes the 10 gallon Hobart mixer, the Willams Sonoma Gas range and double oven, and the walk-in refer/freezer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.