Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114465 - 12/01/07 11:51 PM Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit [Re: Kurt_W]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You mean something like Titanium Bug Out Bars? Maybe too pricey. . . Personally, the Countycomm Widgy looks like it should be light enough and should pack easily. At only $5 it's worth a try.

#114473 - 12/02/07 02:09 AM Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit [Re: Kurt_W]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Throw in several medium binder clips. They make holding the space blanket around you much easier. Also, if you end up using the trash bag for a poncho, the best way I've found get it around you and a pack is to split it down one seam, wrap it around you, & hold the seam closed with clips.

#114476 - 12/02/07 02:41 AM Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit [Re: Russ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

My general kit for such situations, I worked in a retail setting a bit and had to commute, is to have a separate set of travelling clothes. Sturdy stuff and nondescript. Jeans, tee shirt, canvas long sleeve shirt, light water resistant jacket with hood in collar, leather boots.

If the area is cold and wet consider substituting synthetic hiking pants and shirt so you don't end up wet and cold. Also adding a pair of synthetic gloves and a hat. Down here it is less an issue.

The dressy stuff gets stuffed into a gym bag. Bulky stuff like shoes and belt get left at the office.

Travel kit is simple. A bit of food, a couple of Clif bars, a bit of water, two half-liter bottles of water.

A couple of basic tools, Leatherman and a tiny pocket knife. An LED flashlight that uses two AA-cell lithium cells. An Inova 'key-chain' light. A mini-Bic and a bottle of life-boat matches.

A pair of cotton bandannas that work as bandages, air or water filters, ties, bindles, etcetera. A hank, about 30', of light line. Pair of ear plugs. Two heavy, contractor grade, garbage bags. One high quality space blanket.

Medication: Four aspirin, four ibuprofen, two fast-acting antihistamine (Chlor-trimeton), two regular (Diphenhydramine).

A 'travel

#114483 - 12/02/07 03:49 AM Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit [Re: Kurt_W]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'm late to the dance, my suggestions have already been aired. :P

My big ones would have been:
-Heatsheet (they beat the mylar things like a drum)
-small PSK (PSP or SOL or build your own)
-spare batteries and maybe a head strap for your flashlight
-water
-something to eat
-thermal layer, thin poncho
-map (PSK will have compass that is good enough)
-phone card (they work at the oddest times)
-cash

And wow, you spend how long in commute each day? At that type of time frame, I'd look to arrange to have a place to crash in an emergency, even if it is just a sleeping bag in the office.

If you've got room, a non-contact current detector and a silcock key would be excellent. And if you are worried about creating friction with pepper spray, a small can of WD40 works half way decent and is so innocent that no one will say boo, but it hurts. Or spray deodorant.

Edited by ironraven (12/02/07 06:19 AM)
Edit Reason: Forgot some things

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114494 - 12/02/07 05:30 AM Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit [Re: ironraven]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I'm even later to the dance. You've been given many good ideas. Allow me to elaborate around the edges: Headlamp. I like the Princeton- Tec Scout; Water purification straw marketed in the BQ catalog and Micropur tabs; Swim goggles (keeps out smoke/dust in tunnel, etc.); Small compass; 4-way sillcock wrench; Ti or stainless cup, fit onto wide-mouth poly litre bottle; $200 in cash, or more, in small bills, split b/t pocket and pack( cash can save your life in a mugging, aside form other obvious uses); First-aid kit upgrades should include an Isreali compress bandage, a 3" roll of Coban,5"x9" ABD pad, Quik-clot, aspirin, immodium, benadryl, and a prescription pain killer. Pepper spray sould not be a problem in NJ, unless yo're being a jerk with it. Also consider an Exostream bottle water purifier as an alt. to the straw. Finally pack this kit, or most of it, in a soft fanny pack and put the loaded fanny in your backpack. this will allow you to wear it seperately and free-up space in the backpack for the extras you may want to scavange in a bug-out.

#114499 - 12/02/07 11:00 AM Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit [Re: Kurt_W]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Rescue hammer. The sort you put in a car.
Head torch.
Map(s).
Compass (basic).
AA Maglite with NiteIze or better upgrade.
Multitool.
Spare batteries.
Decent waterproof.
Bottle of water.

Schwert's "Urban" artical over on www.outdoors-magazine.com is a good primer in the subject.

#114500 - 12/02/07 11:14 AM Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit [Re: acropolis5]
Kurt_W Offline
Stranger

Lots of great suggestions - thank you all!

RAS - I widgy bar looks like it my fit my needs perfectly. Thank you.

UTALumnus - Hadn't thought about that use for binder clips. And they are something that is common and light.

Art_in_FL - I tried the suggestion of wearing seperate commuting outfit when I worked in NYC and found that it just didn't work for me. Maybe I'm lazy, maybe something else smile But I try to buy clothes that are both appropriate for work and as comfortable as possible. Thanks for the suggestions on OTC meds but I think your post got cut off at the end.

IronRaven - Yes, it's 4 hours a day smile I am caching sleeping materials in my office. If I can make it over the river to NJ there are at least 4 places along my commute where I can crash (and they would welcome me). In addition there are a few other places in the Philadelphia area that I could stay at. I hadn't thought about the current detector and silcock key. I will consider them - thank you. I can see a couple of uses for WD40 - improvised pepper spray, it's flamable so could help start a fire, and of course it's intended use.

Acropolis5 - A lot of people have suggested headlamps for lots of good reasons. I am going to have to consider changing my lighting choices. I would like to pack it all in a fanny pack, but I haven't found one that fits me (I'm a big guy).

#114502 - 12/02/07 12:29 PM Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit [Re: Kurt_W]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Hi Kurt;

Guess I'm really late (pesky work). After several years in public transportation commutes, I would only add to the discussion on shoes/rain cold. In another post, I suggested "totes" style rubber boots. Good comfortable shoes get less so when they are cold and wet. Also, I picked up a 2 piece (jacket and pants) light rain suit at COSTCO that I took if even the slightest chance of rain/sleet etc. Kept me dry and cut the wind chill.

I think Philly is like DC. Wait 15 minutes and the weather will change. Un or poorly predicted weather was always the biggest cause of problems for public transport and thus for me...

Good Luck

#114504 - 12/02/07 12:34 PM Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit [Re: bws48]
Kurt_W Offline
Stranger

bws48 - You are right, Philly is like DC. I grew up outside DC and the weather changes that quickly. I also find that the weather can be very different between Philly and Bordentown (south of Trenton, where I get off of light rail and into my car). I have a pair of something similar to totes that I take with me when the forecast suggests that there might be really slushy, yucky wet weather.

#114506 - 12/02/07 01:26 PM Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit [Re: Kurt_W]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Don't thank me, another new guy, "tacticalight", brought it up in the "Ultimate Knife" thread, I just ordered one too.

On the subject of footwear: I know you like the shoes you wear, but how far have you walked in them, not over years, but all at once. Maybe standard oxford type shoes work well for you, but the only ones I've found that worked for me for distance walking were Rockports. I really prefer a light hiking boot. Consider wearing a pair during the commute and switching at the office.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.