Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#114570 - 12/03/07 01:01 AM Are you ready for the snow storms?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Are you guys prepare for snow storms this winter?

Environment Canada reports that the Lina cool wave front from South America will travel up to Canada. It will create much colder weather than the past 15yrs.

I read news reports that this storm has already hit the US.

Do you guys store extra winter clothing in the car besides your office attire?

#114571 - 12/03/07 01:12 AM Re: Are you ready for the snow storms? [Re: picard120]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Yes, here in northernmost NH (just a few miles from the border with Canada) winter storms and blizzards happen every year. I keep extra clothing, wool blankets, candles and food in the car, and plenty of stuff at home where I also work.

#114578 - 12/03/07 02:16 AM Re: Are you ready for the snow storms? [Re: RobertRogers]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've heard that forecast too. I've already got ice tires on the cars and a fat wood pile. But that's standard operating procedure for me. I like having critical resouces close at hand.

Can't be worse than the weather when I was a kid. I remember the year when they used D-9 Cats to clear a single driving lane down the rural roads. The snow was that deep. Probably unusual, but not unheard of.

My DW and I also have an understanding: turn back if the roads are too horrible to travel safely. We can afford a night or two in a hotel if the commute is impossible. And no-one will perish if we don't get to work for a day or two. So make the judgement call, phone home, and settle in with a good book. Everything else will work itself out.

Extra gear? Absolutely. Enough for a crude overnight winter camp, spare hats, mitts, coat, tarp and rope, candles, blankets, cooking can/pot, and an old sleeping bag too. Guess I got into the habit when I drove those old clunkers as a starving student. Got rid of the clunkers; kept the habit. DW now reports that she feels vaguely uneasy travelling in somebody else's vehicle; most people still don't carry anything more than a latte and a cell phone.

Edited by dougwalkabout (12/03/07 02:18 AM)

#114606 - 12/03/07 02:28 PM Re: Are you ready for the snow storms? [Re: dougwalkabout]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Is it useful to keep a candle with winter kit?
Candle use up oxygen supply in the tightly closed car.

#114608 - 12/03/07 02:32 PM Re: Are you ready for the snow storms? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I do not envy you guys at all. We were in Wyoming, the dreaded white stuff arrived, and we boogied on down to Arizona for the winter. Being retired is soooo nice...

#114618 - 12/03/07 03:27 PM Re: Are you ready for the snow storms? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
What snow? I am stuck here in Florida. It was in the mid 80s this weekend and 100% humidity. Walked through neighborhood doing roving Xmas party wearing T-shirt and shorts, sweating my butt off.

When will summer ever end?

#114619 - 12/03/07 03:43 PM Re: Are you ready for the snow storms? [Re: picard120]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: picard120
Is it useful to keep a candle with winter kit?
Candle use up oxygen supply in the tightly closed car.

I think a good supply of candles is essential. It helps break the chill a surprising amount. There's also the psychological 'glow' that encourages people to stay put when stranded (when the unprepared try to walk out, tragedy often strikes).

I don't think cars are sealed tightly enough for one or two candles to cause a carbon monoxide problem. At least not the ones I drive :-). However, I would crack one window open just a little to ensure fresh air, and simultaneously to vent a little moisture so it doesn't kill my insulation.

Edited by dougwalkabout (12/03/07 03:49 PM)

#114621 - 12/03/07 03:47 PM Re: Are you ready for the snow storms? [Re: benjammin]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

"What snow?"

I'm lobbing a flurry of snowballs in your direction. FedEx has specific instructions on how to 'deliver' them when you open your front door.

;-)

#114628 - 12/03/07 04:20 PM Re: Are you ready for the snow storms? [Re: picard120]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Guess I'm as ready as I can be.
Fuel for the generator and oil lamps
Fuel for the Kerosene heater
Extra food for the main pantry

Still looking for some of those blue 55gal drums.

Preped the Truck and SUV for winter

Rechecked all doors and windows for good weather seals

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#114639 - 12/03/07 05:40 PM Re: Are you ready for the snow storms? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Ready as I can be, I hope

Yukon winterized, new winter wiper blades
Gas tank full, kept at least 1/2 full at all times
Added lock deicer, winter windshield fluid and dry gas to the Yukon
Chains and cat litter are in the Yukon
Expandable Snow brush and steel square tip "D" handle shovel are in the Yukon
Sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner, parka, extra hat, extra gloves, extra socks, extra boots, fleece sweeter and pants are in the Yukon.
2 Candle lanterns with 6 extra candles, 2 boxes REI matches, 1/2" firesteel and tinder quik, chem warmers, 2 BIC lighters, Trangia alcohol stove, cook pot and extra fuel in small ammo can.
12 road flares in a dry box
Vehicle PSK remade for winter
Bark River Bravo-1 and PSK knife are in the console
Cell Phone Charger in the Yukon
All MAG lights, 2-5 cell, and 4 AA mini-mags have LED bulbs and fresh Lithium batteries. Extra lithium batters in console
Flagging tape (for door and antenna streamers), replaced and fresh.
8 "Humanitarian" meals in metal ammo can with extra coffee and tea packets.

Water gets loaded every day, as it will freeze over night.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.