Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#114495 - 12/02/07 06:22 AM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: ironraven]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OK, I've looked it over.

This is the sum total of all the stuff you might put in your packs? Let's break out some of the other configuration, becuase I don't think you'll turtle all this and call it a home- the largest load you'd logically assemble from this is going to be maybe 50-55 pounds, plus pack. So far your EDC lists look ok.

BTW, you list several sub-kits: any chance of those getting broken out?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114497 - 12/02/07 07:56 AM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

You hit the nail on the head. It's a list of all my 'survival stuff'...then quantities per scenario (BOB, Commuting to work, etc). It's formula driven so I can change the quantities and check the total weights.

I do plan to break out the kits on other worksheets within the document...but that's tedious work so I'm putting it off to another day...might start tomorrow.

You're right about the weight too. There's no way I want to be running around with a pack over 60lbs. I don't even want it to be over 40 at the top end if I can help it. Fortunately when it comes for a bug out situation or a search and rescue scenario, I'll very likely be with vehicle and can leave many of the items in the car, shedding weight in the pack without having to leave them at home. The sheet doesn't address this yet but I may figure out a way to factor that in.

#114520 - 12/02/07 04:46 PM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I updated the page again with another sheet that has breakouts of several of the kits. No weight breakdowns yet for those. Should have more kits and more info put into it throughout the day.

The quantities listed in the planning tab are not final...I'm playing around with them right now so if they look strange, bear with me.

Edited by Hacksaw (12/02/07 05:04 PM)

#114629 - 12/03/07 04:21 PM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: ]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Google ultralight backpacking.

#114637 - 12/03/07 05:15 PM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: atoz]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Been there, done that. Overall there is some good information but not all that helpful unless you're into carrying a razor blade instead of a knife.

#114777 - 12/05/07 01:18 AM Re: weight is the enemy! [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Well it would seem that time was the real enemy. My DW kaiboshed my work by insisting I clear off the kitchen table so now my gear is in a couple of bins...good thing I weighed almost everything first.

Tonight I'm going to take the advice some of you gave me when I started a thread about first aid kits. I'm going to ditch the Pelican case and go to a MEC first aid bag. It's larger, lighter, water resistant, and has hide away straps so it can be worn as a fanny pack. Should lighten things up a little while giving me room to grow the kit in the future (the Pelican case is jammed tight!). I tested while I was at the MEC and it will fit nicely insice a #2 Outdoor Research drybag so if I ever need full waterproofiness, I'm good to go with a small additional investment.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.