Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#114396 - 12/01/07 01:59 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Doug nailed the ultimate thing when he mentioned Strider, although Hinderer seems to be cutting into the business of ultimate folders. When you pay that much for a folder so that you don't have to worry about using it as a pry-bar, you start to see the beauty of a cheap inexpensive <$10 tool specifically made for prying, like those from county.com and Home Depot and amazon.com.

The small pry-bar I keep handy is the one I mentioned previously, 7.5", yellow tips and actually says "Stanley" -- perfect for prying tasks; the county.com Pry Bar set looks very similar, just different sizes, same price point though. I went with the Stanley because I have the bigger Wonderbar in my tool box and it's never failed me.

Those Widgy things look fairly useful though and sitting in that sub-$10 range everyone should buy one as they're checking out; the Widgies are flatter than a Stanley bar and should pack into kits much easier. Great tool to augment a knife.

#114398 - 12/01/07 02:36 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Now here's a thought I forgot about,(NOT that it's the ULTIMATE, of course, that idea I think has been thoroughly suppressed already): The Benchmade RUKUS is on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse for $125. Now this was posted several times elsewhere and I had to go see for myself. It was true and I got one (mama has it now - I won't see it again until Christmas). Excellent price for a folder that cannot be found, internet or otherwise, for under 165.

It's a LARGE folder in S30V, it has the Axis lock, and some very functional G-10 and Micarta scales. As heavy duty as this knife is, what it isn't, of course, is a prybar.

Just a thought....

#114399 - 12/01/07 02:45 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Stretch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Stretch,
Is that available online or in-store only?

#114409 - 12/01/07 04:04 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Russ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
WHile they have an internet site, I couldn;t find anyway to search products or purchase anything. ALL the SPortsman's Warehouses across the nation (according to forum members from another forum) are having this sale. Some people have suggested calling the nearest Warehouse, seeing if they have any, and ordering through the mail. Evidently, Ohio has no Warehouses, and the nearest one for forum mebers up there is in PA, or maybe KY. So, guys are calling and ordering.

They're having this clearance sale on many knives - the Rukus (full-size only), BM Grip black plain/serrateds, a few other BM's I can;t think of right now, some Kershaws, SOGs, etc. They're clearing inventory on all knives that weren;t big sellers in-store. The Rukus is a huge seller, but not to customers who go to Sportsmans Warehouses I suppose. Additionally, it's an expensive knife to start out with.

When I went to the one in Las Cruces, NM, they had 3 Rukii - two in satin plain edge and one in black combo edge. I got the satin plain edge. I've played with BM Axis blades and even so I couldn;t get over how smooth that action is. I played with it all the way home, just to have it taken from me as if I were a little kid with a book of matches! (Well, maybe I am) laugh

#114415 - 12/01/07 05:24 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Stretch]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

+1 on the Rukus. It's the biggest beefiest folder I've ever held.

If you want to check one out Soldier, I believe it's the EDC knife of the dude behind Drop Zone Tactical. He'll whip it out for you no problem if you ask...he did for me...he's proud of it.

Edited by Hacksaw (12/01/07 05:27 PM)

#114425 - 12/01/07 07:19 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: MDinana]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: RAS
Nice pic, but why don't you give us a little more input than a name and a jpeg. Drive-by posters. . . wink

Edit: After looking at the Harsey T2 tactical, plain edge web page, the 3.9" S30V blade is nice. It has a locking-liner which may or may not be nice depending on how it works with gloves and when it's wet and slippery, but that's true with any knife.

What can I say, I'm a man of few words grin

I’ll use it with leather “rigger” type gloves and I don’t feel that it’s a issue operating the locking liner.

Haven’t had any issues with slippage from wetness. The nylon scales offer enough friction and the molding on the underside to conform to fingers offers additional grip when wet. Its served me well dressing game.

Originally Posted By: RAS
However, I prefer to not have my fingers in the blade arc when I close a knife -- personal preference and that's a requirement to close a locking-liner.

I theory I can see you point but If you’re closing it 2 handed you’ve got control of the blade with you off hand and for one handed closing you just need to move the blade just < 180 deg. Its probably not as safe as an Axis lock, but I don’t see it as much of a risk.

Originally Posted By: MDinana
JohnnyUpton,

I have to say, I'm practically in love with Harsey. Is it the T1 or T2 that I like though, cuz I always forget? Their auto knives have the trigger under the scale, so that it's protected from the environments. Good steel, great handles, looks pretty tough. My problem is the price and finding a place that sells them, so I can handle them.

How has it treated you so far?

MD – I have the T2 Ranger and I really like the knife. Its not an automatic and I really don’t have much experience with those models.

Its stout enough to chop wood, I kinda chickened out using it to break the pelvis of a deer. I’ve broken a 110 doing that and I was kinda cringing at the thought of doing the same with this knife but I had an saw to cut through the bone. (Although I think Lone Wolf will repair or replace the damaged knife)

The T1 is a little smaller than the T2 (about ½” IIRC)

#114443 - 12/01/07 08:49 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
cynik Offline
A Survivor
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Canadian_Soldier
For my particular use, I need a knife which has:
a. A strong rounded point
b. A strong lock
c. One handed opening
d. A plain edge (I hate serrated blades!!!)
e. At least 3-4mm blade thickness, and no more than 4 inches in blade length.
f. A handle constructed of materials that will not dissolve when in contact with fuels etc
g. A large lanyard hole

I would also prefer a reduced glare blade, which is resistant to corrosion but not covered in stuff that scratches off with use

This might fit your desires:
The Junk Yard Dog 2 knife model 1725 from Kershaw. This unique knife features a heavy duty textured stainless steel body with removable pocket clip. The 3 3/4" plain edge blade is a Sandvik 13C26 stainless steel that is razor sharp. This knife also has a very smooth index (not spring assisted) opening feature, a "flipper", for easy ambidextrous opening. The pattern of the durable G-10 handle is meant to resemble aircraft paneling. This knife is 100% made in the U.S.A. Overall Length: 8 9/16". IMHO it's worth your time to check it out. You won't worry about the point breaking....

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 269 Guests and 131 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.