Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#114441 - 12/01/07 08:37 PM Re: "My Core Gear" by Askdamice [Re: climberslacker]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Man, that really is a cool looking kit...

#114544 - 12/02/07 08:48 PM Re: "My Core Gear" by Askdamice [Re: Askdamice]
Askdamice Offline
Thrivivalist
Stranger

Loc: Wheatley, Ontario, Canada Eh!
Wow folks!
Thanks for the warm welcome and kit compliments.

Pitchblend is a mixture of pine pitch, mink oil, beeswax, and lindseedoil.... great for waterproofing leather.

My gear isn't the lightest.. but I like it. If I were to go on an extended hike I would certainly shave it down "Haversack and bedroll" style.

Here is my Winter set up...

MOST of my core gear, extra clothes, 3-4 days food, sleeping bag, two tarps and 50ft of rope.(That will last me well over a week with a little foraging)

All together with water bottles full... 43lbs... not bad for the gear choices I have made.

I used to be an ultralight backpacker with an 18lb pack, but I find this more enjoyable.

#114591 - 12/03/07 03:15 AM Re: "My Core Gear" by Askdamice [Re: Askdamice]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
What pack is that? I don't recognize it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114605 - 12/03/07 02:11 PM Re: "My Core Gear" by Askdamice [Re: ironraven]
Askdamice Offline
Thrivivalist
Stranger

Loc: Wheatley, Ontario, Canada Eh!
Canadian issue rucksack... external frame... a bit heavy but bombproof. Most Canadian Army guys hate it because of all the marches they did with it... lol.

Rick

#114640 - 12/03/07 05:42 PM Re: "My Core Gear" by Askdamice [Re: Askdamice]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Anybody have a good source to pick up an authentic (or at least semi-authentic) possible bag? I like the idea of leather over what's normally available commercially.

#114645 - 12/03/07 06:47 PM Re: "My Core Gear" by Askdamice [Re: ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I've used claymore bags for possibles bags. In fact, that's what I'm using for my black powder possibles bag now. I use a Bull Durham pouch (inside of a ziplock) to keep my Bic lighters in.

All of my other leather goods; medicine pouch, scabbards (leatherman, knives, swords, hatchet), are made from leather I bought, and then cut, and sewed together. I normally used "shotline" (the Coasties here know what that is) to sew my leather together but alas, I am almost out of that. I started using nylon thread (Wally World) and of course, Dental Floss to hold it together.

It takes some basic tools (Tandy Leather has kits) and a little thought to turn out some nice leather accoutrements.

I find leather working to be a disease for many of us because it is enjoyable!!!

No, I am not affiliated with any leather companies in anyway, Heck, I'm a dirty ole sailor!!!

#114646 - 12/03/07 06:53 PM Re: "My Core Gear" by Askdamice [Re: wildman800]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I hadn't thought of making something myself...makes sense though and might be worth a go.

The claymore bags look very practical but far too tacticool for daily use.

#114656 - 12/03/07 08:28 PM Re: "My Core Gear" by Askdamice [Re: Askdamice]
MC3502 Offline
Stranger

Askdamice, tell me to pros and cons of the alcohol stove. What fuel do you use, how much fuel does it consume, how long does it burn, how long to boil water. It looks like a classic piece of gear. Is it very heavy? That is one excellent, durable kit you have assembled!

#114697 - 12/04/07 04:02 AM Re: "My Core Gear" by Askdamice [Re: MC3502]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
He's using a Swedish trangia, lots of us have experience with them here.

Simple, reliable, robust- you have to work at it to screw this thing up. They run best on ethanol, but you can run methanol (burns fine- just a little poisonous), or if you get REALLY desperate, isopropyl (burns dirty, not very hot). But like all alcohol stoves, it can be quirky a low temperatures due to the relatively high vaporization temp of the fuel compared to other systems.

Search that archives for "trangia", you'll find a few hundred posts. Since mid-summer. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.