Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#114216 - 11/30/07 11:00 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Paul810]
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
Although it does not have the rounded tip that you desire, the Emerson CQC-7 is, in my opinion, the "end-all, be-all", last word in folding knives. I've carried mine on four continents, through two combat deployments, in piled snow and blowing sand, salt-water swims and high mountain climbs, across coastal mudflats and through triple-canopy jungle.

It keeps an edge, the handle is tough as woodpecker lips, and the lock is as close to infallible as you'll find in any mechanical device. The wave feature makes fast, safe one-handed opening a snap. And it is aesthetically pleasing.

I carry the half-serrated model but it does come in a non-serrated model. I use the non-serrated part for everyday tasks and save the serrated part for emergencies.

#114218 - 11/30/07 11:43 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: Canadian_Soldier
For my particular use, I need a knife which has:
a. A strong rounded point
b. A strong lock
c. One handed opening
d. A plain edge (I hate serrated blades!!!)
e. At least 3-4mm blade thickness, and no more than 4 inches in blade length.
f. A handle constructed of materials that will not dissolve when in contact with fuels etc
g. A large lanyard hole

I would also prefer a reduced glare blade, which is resistant to corrosion but not covered in stuff that scratches off with use.

There are many out there that might fit this description and are good knives, but your list to me really does describe the Ritter RSK-1 Griptilian.

#114231 - 11/30/07 01:31 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Are you really a soldier? Need to thicken your skin. We are only offended when we choose to take offense.

As for knives, the RSK Mk1 is a great folder. Strong lock, excellent steel and blade profile. The CS Ultimate Hunter is not the ultimate, but it looks like a good serviceable knife.

#114237 - 11/30/07 02:01 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Russ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
You know something RAS? you are absolutely correct with that statement, although I was far less offended than I may have appeared. I stand corrected.(nice burn by the way, ouch!!)

#114238 - 11/30/07 02:12 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Ka-Bar makes a couple fine folders. The Mule is a large solid folder that is pretty durable and functional. The Dozer is not as big but still quite ergonomic and useful. I have the Mule and for the money (less than $50) it is a great deal for a reliable folding knife.

Depending on perspective, the ultimate knife is either the one I have on hand at the time I really need a knife, or else it is the one I always wish I had with me but never seem to. Funny paradox that.

#114239 - 11/30/07 02:19 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: benjammin]
Taurus Offline
Addict

I am actually looking fairly hard at the Ka-Bar folders. I have carried a mini ka-bar on my TAC while in Afghanistan. I couldn't break this knife, even if I tried.

#114241 - 11/30/07 02:35 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
You'd be hard pressed to break the Mule I think as well. I've misused mine deliberately, throwing it, prying with it, batoning it through wood. The blade is AUS-8, so it isn't super tough, but it seems to be holding up fairly well. Keeping the edge in shape is not a problem, I've only had to touch up the tip a little so far. The grip is really substantial and the lock and joint are VERY strong imho.

I got one because it was popular amongst the seargents on patrol in Baghdad and got good reviews there when I was there. It was a good accompaniment to their primary fixed blade(s) and their Multi-Tools.

#114242 - 11/30/07 02:40 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
Originally Posted By: Canadian_Soldier
For my particular use, I need a knife which has:
a. A strong rounded point
b. A strong lock
c. One handed opening
d. A plain edge (I hate serrated blades!!!)
e. At least 3-4mm blade thickness, and no more than 4 inches in blade length.
f. A handle constructed of materials that will not dissolve when in contact with fuels etc
g. A large lanyard hole

There are many out there that might fit this description and are good knives, but your list to me really does describe the Ritter RSK-1 Griptilian.

Concur. My personal circumstances dictated a folder, and the Ritter RSK1 fit the bill entirely. If you are going to make the compromise of utilizing a folder, I don't think you can beat the Axis lock. Doug's blade design really is well optimized for survival and general utility. Seems to fit every point in your criteria list.

#114243 - 11/30/07 02:40 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: benjammin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Mule is an excellent choice for a knife to keep with your military kit. Buy the RSK for off-duty smile

#114247 - 11/30/07 03:08 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: benjammin]
Taurus Offline
Addict

I am guilty of using my knife as a pry bar quite often(especially to open wooden ammo boxes) The mule appears to have a nice thick blade for this. I would have the nice black coating scratched off the blade in about 5 minutes flat though. As long as the blade is sound, I guess I really don't care about looks anyway. I have just been sizing up the cold steel AK-47 knife as well. I like the idea of the pommel built into the back of the handle for emergency use in smashing a car window following an accident or such. I rarely see a folder with this option, and have honestly never played with one. Anyone out there have one of these ????

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 352 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.