The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#113980 - 11/29/07 12:18 AM Survival saw nightmare
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
For years I have carried a small wire survival saw in my mini PSK in the belief that it actually had a good purpose. On a grouse hunt a summer ago I decided, as I often do, to spend the night in some sort of improvised shelter rather than taking the easy way out and grabbing the tent out of the truck. I wanted to use ONLY what I carry in my mini PSK in order to prove to myself that I was indeed carrying the best items possible for that purpose, should the actual need arise. I always carry a mini PSK that never, ever leaves my possession and a larger, better equipped one in my backpack. My mini PSK holds all the items I would absolutely need in a bad situ, just in case I may become separated from my pack(like screaming like a little girl while running from clouds of angry bees) And this is where I had my wire saw. As silly as this sounds, I sometimes carry a second mini PSK, identical to the first just for the purpose of practicing with the contents, thus keeping one intact for a real emergency. I decided on a basic debris hut, as they are generally easier to make. It was a nice cool sunny day and I was in a great mood, having a couple of nice birds in my pack. That was about to change however. I began by cutting bows for a dry bed. The first few cuts with the wire saw were great, dropping branches with ease. The saw began to bind after a short time, and more effort was needed to do the job. I realized that simply bending the branch and chopping it with my folder was way faster, so I finished my dry bed that way instead. Still unruffled I began the task of dropping a tree for my hut. Before I even cut through the bark of the tree one of the loops broke. No big deal, it happens I thought. I just tied a small thumb knot in the wire and passed a stick through the center and kept sawing. About a minute later the second loop breaks, this time I end up cutting my finger on the dammed saw. Now I can feel the anger starting to rise. I tied a second knot, used a second stick and tried again. By now the saw is really dull and I am about half way through. I am moving around the tree with my cuts trying to prevent the saw from binding in the cut. Anger is turning to Frustration at this point because this tree is giving me more trouble that originally anticipated. I look at my backpack (which I refuse to open) at the Gerber exchange a blade folding saw strapped to the outside and thank God my friends are not here to see me bleeding and fighting with this stupid tree. Still not ready to admit defeat I take the shiny new saw out of my emergency PSK and try again, hoping that the first saw was built on a Friday and was a onetime deal. The new saw cuts fine for a bit and then binds hopelessly about 9/10ths of the way home. Cursing like a drunken sailor at this point I kick and smash the tree until it breaks and falls over. After putting on a band-aid and using my knife to finish cutting sticks to pile over the shelter, not to mention throwing that saw as far as I could into the woods. I finally managed to finish my shelter.

I know there are a lot of experienced people on this forum who may have similar experiences. What I would like to know is if anyone else has had as much trouble with one of these wire saws? Maybe I am just an idiot, who knows? I have never carried one since then, as I have found that I can do just as good a job with my bare hands and my trusty knife.
All comments welcome.

#113985 - 11/29/07 12:48 AM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: Taurus]
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
I had a couple of those once. The first one performed pretty much exactly as you described, right before snapping in the center. The second one was in the trash the following morning. It seems like a great idea, and there may be some quality wire saws out there, but I've never run across one.

If anyone here can recommend a quality saw, I'd love to hear about it - the size and weight can't be beat.

#113988 - 11/29/07 01:08 AM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: JustinC]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hmmm...I remember first hearing about these things being in survival kits and thinking "what a neat idea, I gotta get one for mine". When at last I finally had one in my hand, and opened it up, I felt that it may have been overated as it certainly seemed like a minimal use type tool.

Fast forward years later and I've not had much reason to upgrade my original thoughts about it. Other postings at ETS and other venues have pretty much mirrored your type of experiences and my original thoughts.

At this time, I would not consider it (at least the few that I've actually touched) as a mass production cutting tool, but more a minimal use special tool. Several still remain in my kits, but I take the time to explain to others using the kits (also with a small note in the kit which doubles as fire tinder). It would be nice to believe that there are better models out there, but I've not touched one as yet.

Observations:
Keeping the saw taut with minimal bending and binding seem to be ther favored working methods, many folks reporting that they use a small piece of wood bent in the middle to hold the saw rings on the end, similar to other regular brush saws.

YMMV

Others may have had better experiences and I'd certainly like to hear where a better wire saw can be obtained.

Regards,
Comanche7

#113989 - 11/29/07 01:09 AM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: JustinC]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
As for quality, I have been told by friends that ultimate survivals Saber saw is second to none. It's just way too big for a PSK unfortunately. I always carry a Gerber exchange -a -blade folding saw which is outstanding for my sawing needs (the bone blade is what I tend up using most for hunting) and usually does what an axe can do at a fraction of the weight. It is impractical to always have it on my belt however, especially when in uniform.

#113991 - 11/29/07 01:14 AM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: JustinC]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
The Pocket Chainsaws has worked for me. Its bigger, about the size of a tin of snuff but I haven't had a problem with it yet.

The wire saws tend to last a little longer if you stick to cutting dead/dry wood.

#113994 - 11/29/07 01:44 AM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: JohnnyUpton]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I have had two of the wire saws, after the first one snapped in the middle I tried the second with the same reults. Also the dirctions say they are a good snare they lied.

#113995 - 11/29/07 01:59 AM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: Comanche7]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Others may have had better experiences and I'd certainly like to hear where a better wire saw can be obtained

The best ones are available here at
http://www.bestglide.com/Wire_Saw_Info.html

The wire saw is limited to what it can achieve compared to a Bacho Laplander or even the saw blade on a Leatherman tool but considering its size and weight it could make all the diffference in certain situations. It is a SERE tool and it has other uses than just cutting tree branches which are not generally mentioned.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/29/07 02:07 AM)

#113998 - 11/29/07 02:11 AM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: JohnnyUpton]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The wire saw was a british creation for escape. The wire obviously could be secreted in a uniform seam. It was intended to saw through seasoned wood silently; barrack floors, fences and railroad boxcars. There are only two wire saws worthy of consideration; the BCB british unit and the US service issued saw. The BCB unit is the most readily available. The military unit has two very large turnbuckle handles and a spare wire. Any and all else is junk. Suggestions of using the wire saw as a snare loop are fallacious, the wire will not close properly. Possible uses for the wire saw in the wild; disarticulating a game animal, tieing two lengths of paracord with one wieghted throw line to slowly cut down a out of reach branch holding food, scaling fish,scoring surfaces to catch sparks or to break.

#114008 - 11/29/07 02:46 AM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
They are handy for cutting off arm and leg bones, however. When I worked for a vet, he would go through all the soft tissue with a scalpel, tie off all the veins and arteries, and then cut the bone with a wire saw.

THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION!

They have their uses, but the uses are pretty specific. Anything involving sap or pitch isn't it.

Sue

#114018 - 11/29/07 03:15 AM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: Taurus]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I have a wire saw made to use in a hacksaw frame. I added a couple
of split rings to it for finger or stick handle loops. It is not
for soft wood but rather metals, plastics etc. I have cut through
padlocks and chains with it before. Figure it would be good for
emergency exits from Forest Service gates that are chained closed.
I have used it to repair tire chains too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 471 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.