The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#113781 - 11/27/07 07:19 AM Re: 1 month in the wild -- scenario [Re: teacher]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
As an earlier poster said, I will carry fire making material to last forever, plus a large box of "strike anywhere" matches.

I normally wear a combat harness (fully equipped) when I go camping, along with my ALICE pack. I also carry a spare set of clothes including 6 extra pairs of socks & 6 extra underwear)

I would add the following items:
1) US Army messkit (in addition to the Swiss Army messkit (soups and water purification) that I normally carry when I go camping).
2) An extra roll of toilet paper.
3) 10 days of food consisting of:
Dehydrated meals (40%): Mountain House varieties.
MRE's (20%): Commercial varieties.
C-rats (10%): Chicken & Dumplings, Beef Stew, Ravioli's, etc.
Dry/instant (25%): Rice, Grits, Oatmeal, crackers, soups, flour, etc.
Comfort/D-rats (5%): Candy Bars/Hard candies.
4) An extra tarp-small.
5) 35 day supply of vitamins.
6) Short bladed machete.
7) Additional "Strike Anywhere" matches.
8) .22LR semi-auto rifle with 200 rounds and a .45ACP with 24 rounds (3 mags).

I normally carry my shaving kit with all personal hygiene items.
I have a 10 day supply of broad spectrum antibiotics in my FAK.

To stay in 1 place for a month allows me to set up a Base Camp. I would construct it as follows (roughly);

PHASE I (Upon deciding on a camp site)
1) Use entrenching tool to provide drainage (around shelter and a ditch from fire pit), fire pit, and a large latrine (on side of camp opposite of water source).
2) Use zip ties/paracord, short machete, hatchet, and knife to build a semi-permanent shelter using the natural (and man made) materials at hand. In the NW, I would tend to make a small version of the houses that many of the NE Indian Tribes built and resided in. The final shelter type would depend on what materials I found when I got on scene (type, age, number, & layout of trees).
3) Use tarp to provide ground insulation inside of shelter (if tarps aren't used on the shelter itself).
4) Use short machete and knife to provide bedding insulation.
5) Construct a windbreak around the firepit, opposite of my shelter opening (Shelter opening to face Eastward).

PHASE II (nicetie's)
1) Develope a clothes and dishwashing station downstream of the camp.
2) Construct a windbreak/privacy enclosure around the latrine.
3) Utilize any soda cans found (w/pebbles), to make an early warning system around the camp perimeter (in case of Lions, Tigers, & Bears, oh my!).
4) Conduct a general scouting survey of terrain and available animal, fish, and vegetable food resources.
5) Construct and place animal and bird snares, and fish traps, trot lines, etc.
6) Construct a sheltered concealed Observation Post.

Phase III (productive anti-boredom purposes)
1) Establish a daily routine:
a) Check snares and traps twice daily (release any excess of needs, live catches).
b) Conduct a short range recon from the camp area daily, in a different direction each day (usually after lunch).
c) Keep camp policed and neat!!!!
d) Prepare at least 1 hot meal per day.
e) Work on preparing animal skins/bones to make useful products.
f) Clean all weapons daily (before lunch).
g) Clean all mess gear after each use.
h) Man Observation Post daily from 1 hr prior to sunset until 1 hr after sunset. Make celestial observations w/naked eye & binoculars. This is key to making weather forecasts.

That's basically how I do it!!!!

#113797 - 11/27/07 01:56 PM Re: 1 month in the wild -- scenario [Re: teacher]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
OK, I'm not going then, my back and canoes do not compute. Have fun...

#113804 - 11/27/07 03:21 PM Re: 1 month in the wild -- scenario [Re: OldBaldGuy]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

I like the way wildman800 thinks.

Something I haven't seen discussed much (if at all) on this website is the danger of wild animals. I'm not going to knife fight a mountain lion. My weapon of choice is a .357 magnum. If in brown bear territory, I would also make sure to bring bear spray. Even a combination of bear spray and a .357 magnum won't guarantee to stop a brown bear, but it's a better defense than my knife.

#113805 - 11/27/07 03:24 PM Re: 1 month in the wild -- scenario [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

It's EXTREMELY hard to kill a bear with a knife...it's been done but the guy with the knife usually dies too or is mauled very badly.

It's hard to kill a bear with a gun for that matter...but easier than a knife.

#113817 - 11/27/07 05:47 PM Re: 1 month in the wild -- scenario [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Something I haven't seen discussed much (if at all) on this website is the danger of wild animals

Its not really discussed because wild animal attacks are really not a survival issue. Wild animal attacks are generally the result of human stupidity and inapproriate behavior. You really are more likely to be struck by lightning than attacked and killed by a bear in the wilderness for example. Just follow some common sense precautions. And if your lucky enough to see a mountain lion you should regard it as a privilege. Just give the animal enough space so that it can make its retreat.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/10/ap/strange/mainD8I56AVO0.shtml

#113818 - 11/27/07 05:51 PM Re: 1 month in the wild -- scenario [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

+1

Knowledge is your best weapon.

#113819 - 11/27/07 06:26 PM Re: 1 month in the wild -- scenario [Re: wildman800]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada

Great list and a very well thought out plan. But why would you release anything that you caught alive in a snare? Even if you didn't need it at the moment You could build a pen of some sorts(far enough away from your camp, of course) Then, for anti- boredom purposes you could have pets to play with, and you will always have a fresh meal to club the heck out of on the days that your snares are empty and food is hard to find,LOL

#113820 - 11/27/07 06:45 PM Re: 1 month in the wild -- scenario [Re: Taurus]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I hadn't really thought of trying to homestead but I think you're right about this.

There are no reasons that I can think of that would keep me from setting up/constructing a rabbit hutch,,,or a corral for stray cows (mavericks), horses (mustangs), or the occasional lost buffalo (unless it was a white buffalo). LOL!!

All surviving critters can be released when it's time to go home.

One thing I didn't address and perhaps I should, for the benefit of getting people's opinions:

I tend to leave the shelters that I make, intact, when I leave. I can see someone in a bad way, finding a shelter, in whatever condition, with some firewood standing by, being able to make use of it.

#113823 - 11/27/07 07:14 PM Re: 1 month in the wild -- scenario [Re: wildman800]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

30 days isn't enough time to bother building a 'homestead'. Hell you could technically this whole time without any food if you had to.

#113824 - 11/27/07 07:28 PM Re: 1 month in the wild -- scenario [Re: wildman800]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada

Cool, I thought I was the only one who left camps intact for others. More often than not when I re-visit such places I find them occupied by our fuzzy friends. I have never actually tried to build a kennel to store catches of live rabbits etc. On a lot of rabbit hunting trips I often build a simple debris hut and spend a night or two in order to sharpen my skills as well as get meat for the freezer. I shoot the odd rabbit for eating while there, just to practice dressing small game and cooking over fire and such. I always lay the odd snare as well. The rest of the rabbits I bring home. I have a great respect for that sort of thing and would never harm something I don't plan on eating. (as I am sure everyone on this forum does) So building such a contraption would be something hard to accomplish for the sole purpose of training. It is something to think about should the need ever arise I suppose. I am glad to finally find other people who have the same thoughts as I do. Not many people sit and wonder about what to bring to the woods for a month. Maybe I am not as crazy as my friend tell me I am. LOL
I look forward to hearing more about your scenario.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.