The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#113531 - 11/25/07 08:39 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Interesting. . .my REI mummy bag is in the big storage bag that it came in, inside a very large duffel bag that doesn't compress it, in the back of my truck with other camping gear. It's nice to know that if I get stuck on the road I can be comfortably warm regardless of outside temps.

My walking kit/get-home-bag has a lightweight Thermolite Mummy Bag Liner, rather than the bag itself. If I'm somewhere that the bag liner isn't enough, I'll stay with the truck and all the gear that isn't in my walking kit.

#113539 - 11/25/07 09:39 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: Russ]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
I my first post of this thread, I mentioned the CORE of my BOB as being a kit in a Pelican 1020 case. I just took some pictures to show the revised contents since my earlier post a few months back.

And the contents:

Conatiner: Pelican 1020 (with internal rubber housing removed)
Contents:
  • SAK "Supertinker"
  • Tweezers
  • DR PSK contents (details can be found elsewhere...)
  • Mini BIC Lighter
  • Full-sized BIC lighter
  • Katadyn MicroPur Tabs (two packages containing 2 tablets each)
  • NonAspirin (2 pills)
  • AntiGas (2 pills)
  • Ibuprofen (2 pills)
  • Alcohol Prep pad (1 pad)
  • Electrolyte Replacement (2 pills)
  • Triple Antibiotic Ointment (1 package)
  • Bandaid (3 large, 3 small)
  • $100 in various smaller bills
  • Esbit Tab
  • Mag rod with steel
  • REI storm matches (one box worth)
  • Razorknife blade
  • Photon II LED Light

Yes I do probably have too many matches. I will change the quantities around when I get my order of tiny little zip-lock bags in. I do not like the large SAK in this kit, I will most likely trade it out for a Squirt or a Benchmite...
I DESPERATELY need a water container in this kit, like a milkbag.
Overall I think my firestarting area is well covered, maybe too redundant though...

Anyway, enjoy the pics!!

#113557 - 11/25/07 11:37 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: Rusty]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
For a water container, think about an oven bag (the kind you just cooked a turkey in). I soon plan to fill mine with varying quantities of water, so I can get volume marking dimensions (1 cup, 250 mL, etc etc).

Once I figure out a "scientific" method of filling, securing the top can easily be done with a length of twine, rubber band, or binder clip.

The bags are very tough, take up less space than breast milk bags (although I love my IV fluid bags...too bulky), hold more.

#113606 - 11/26/07 03:01 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: Rusty]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The matches are fine, they just need a better package. Ziplocks suck.

I would however pull the large Bic, and replace the mini with a fresh one (again, zip tie or something under the plunger). I'd also think about pulling one of the ferro-based systems (says the guy with a Sparklight and a cut-down Doans in his kit). That will free up enough space for you to put a USGI or better match case in there, with the striker taped to the inside (strike surface facing the wall of the container, not the sticky or the matches).

What you don't have in there is tinder. You need tinder, don't count on being able to find any when it is cold and wet and getting dark and your coordination has gone to hell.

This is the kind of thing I think needs to be in a vest. You'll always be wearing the vest; you won't always be wearing the pack.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113607 - 11/26/07 03:03 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: TheSock]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Sock, this has been explained by myself and others. Please read our comments.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113608 - 11/26/07 03:08 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: ironraven]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
ironraven - what do you suggest other that zip-lock? Is there another type of bag that can hold stuff in a small kit?

I think I will just use the tiny bottles that i just ordered. Like you said, zip-lock bags aren't the best.

I have a bag of 50 quick tinder pieces that will be distributed to all my kits as soon as i have a bottle\bag\container to keep them in inside my kits.

PS - What is "Doans"?

Edited by Rusty (11/26/07 03:09 AM)

#113609 - 11/26/07 03:09 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: Rusty]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Rusty
[*]The large soap bar will be removed when I find a travel sized bar

*looks around, making sure no small kids are around as I take things out of my pocket* Jace, you're the youngest- look away.

*taking a length of wire and several pencils, I quickly construct a garrote*

*sneaks up soap, and using the maximum possible violence with the minimum amount of noise, garrotes said bar of soap, nearly decapitating it, finishing it of with a twist*

*hands the "top" half of the soap to Rusty* It needs a couple of ziplocks, or it will make a mess in your bag.

*sneaks off, leaving not even a foot print*

#113612 - 11/26/07 03:32 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: Rusty]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Rusty,

As a small replacement for zip-lock bags I have used many different sizes of "Whirl-pak bags. They are plastic bags that have 2 thin wires (kind of like 2 twist ties) across the opening. You close the bag like you would a large fold-top dry bag. I think somewhere it the past on the ETS site there was a omparison of them with Gerber milk bags.

I have sealed liquid in them many times and they are quite tough.

Mike

#113621 - 11/26/07 04:36 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I use a small bottle of Camp Suds soap. It's biodegradable and washes everything from pots to my hair. The only down side is that I wouldn't be able to fly with it...but I hate flying so that's a non concern for me.

#113627 - 11/26/07 07:27 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: ]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
>The shelter you learn to build at the Boreal institute can keep >you comfy at 40 below or worse with a 20 degree (-7 C) sleeping >bag (and a good fire). They call it a Supershelter.

This sounds fascinatng; can you tell us all how to do this?
The Sock

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.