The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#113481 - 11/25/07 10:56 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: TheSock]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Personally, I think dressing properly for the environment is much more important than having a sleeping bag. I've spent many a night sleeping without a sleeping bag, even waking up with snow on the ground the next morning. I see bums in NYC in winter that sleep in just they're clothing (though they wear enough layers of clothing that they look like a walking sleeping bag grin). A sleeping bag, IMO, is secondary to a proper shelter set up and proper clothing for the situation.

With that said, I keep a Thermo-Lite Bivvy in my BOB (as well as a few large garbage bags). The Thermo-Lite isn't a true sleeping bag, but I think it's plenty in most situations when you just need that little bit more either to keep you comfortable, or to keep you alive.

#113486 - 11/25/07 01:15 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: Paul810]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I would try to add some other form of tinder, like cotton/vaseline balls, tinder-quick, etc. Those things are a lot easier to light than a esbit-tab.

Do you have some rain-gear?

#113490 - 11/25/07 02:38 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Sherpadog
. . . I learned long ago that MILSPEC does not always equate quality....just ask any active duty or retired service member their opinion on this, I am sure they will agree.
Well since you asked. . . Military (including Navy) gear originates with a requirement or needs statement. The Program Managers take those requirements and create a specification which details just exactly what the gear needs to be able to do. Sometimes the gear is absolutely wonderful on a battlefield because it's tough and never fails when you need it; but it sucks when not on a battlefield because it's also heavy. Unit cost is also a consideration, but even the lowest bidder needs to meet spec -- theoretically.

I usually stay away from MilSpec because for my needs mountain climber and hiker spec is better -- I plan to stay away from battlefields and I'd rather have something that blends into my environment. I don't buy the milspec Camelbak packs because they scream military and they're a bit heavier; the lighter bags are tough enough. I bought a Maxpedition bag and initially used it as a BOB, but it's heavy for its capacity so I went to a much lighter bag that blends much better.

With all the gear that a typical soldier wears and carries, weight is becoming a critical spec in a lot of the military gear, but that Maxpedition bag was way overbuilt for my needs.

#113494 - 11/25/07 03:13 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: TheSock]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: TheSock
So the kits without a sleeping bag added before you leave has
this plethora of knives, pens, cord, fire starting kits etc to get you through one day?

My BOB is also my Search and Rescue 'Ready Pack' as they serve a similar purpose. I put mine together with enough food to last 2 days comfortably assuming a lot of activity. Considering how long the body can go without food I could last a lot longer if I had to using those two days to travel, build shelter, gather wood, assemble signal fires, or whatever while I was fed.

As far as sleeping bags so I'd say it depends on the weather. Where I'm at in Alberta, my BOB has a sleeping bag. I put it in a O.R. stuff sack bigger than the original to save the loft (TNF recommends storing it in the original bag so the Loft should be fine). Come summer I'll likely only take my AMK 2.0 bivy.

A good shelter can make all the difference. The shelter you learn to build at the Boreal institute can keep you comfy at 40 below or worse with a 20 degree (-7 C) sleeping bag (and a good fire). They call it a Supershelter. It incorporates some pretty simple materials...including a space blanket. The way the Supershelter is built, you could heat it very easily with just a candle if you had to.

#113506 - 11/25/07 04:58 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: ]
bmisf Offline

Regarding sleeping bags: they're a nice to have for a winter kit, but your winter kit should also have insulating clothing (e.g. a synthetic or down jacket, hats, gloves/mittens) that will help a lot and keep you warm in a survival situation even when you're not bundled up for the night.

One add-on option is an ultralight quilt or wearable bag (like the Exped Wallcreeper). I keep one of the latter uncompressed in a garbage bag in my trunk along with the BOB; I can wear it as an extra clothing layer and still move around and use my arms, or I can zip it up as a sleeping bag and still wear additional insulating layers under or over it. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a winter camping sleeping bag, but it's great for a BOB.

There are bivy sacks out there that are as light as 5 oz (e.g. from backpackinglight.com) that would make good emergency backups along with an AMK bivy (which works more like a vapor barrier liner and will wet out your insulation pretty fast if you wear those layers inside of the AMK bivy). The ones from BPL or Mountain Laurel Designs (or heavier ones from OR, Integral Designs, etc.) are waterproof/breathable and more suitable as a winter cover for insulating layers.

#113507 - 11/25/07 05:16 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: Rusty]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

For your N95 I would recommend the cool fold up ones. They come in a box of ten and have the valve thingy. Also what i like about them is that they fold up, this makes them so they don;t get wrinkled a easily.

as usual, no relationship, although I did just get an email from them.

-JAce

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#113509 - 11/25/07 05:42 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: climberslacker]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My sleeping bag is my core survival item, # 1 on my essentials, don't leave home without it. # 2 is my teddy bear and #3 my knife.The purpose of any item; sleeping bag, cookset etc is not to be ultralight or compress to the size of an aspirin bottle but to keep you warm or fed. I have on two occasions been injured or ill with sudden influenza that left me just able to crawl into my bag and assume the dead maggot fetal position. One of my favourite quotes from a New Zealand kayaking club is ( to paraphrase) " Assemble the very best gear you can. But never make the decision to start an adventure based on having that kit." Yes, S/S is heavy. Has anyone tried using aluminum or Titanium as an expedient digging tool? The ESBIT will boil water. You just have to have an efficient container, a windscreen and lower your expectations to a cup of tea or soup. You are not going to heat a jacuzzi with one. But if your curled up in your bag with the flu, It's just right for a cup of chicken noodle soup before sleeping 8 hours and waking up to your group's calls and a very lethargic rattlesnake curled next to you. And no, I didn't kill the buzzworm and cook it in my ESBIT.Killing somebody you slept with is bad form, except in Hollywood.

#113513 - 11/25/07 06:13 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: Rusty]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Rusty

Nice kit, a friend of mine has the same pack, I bought it for him about 3 yrs ago and it has held up well. I used to have the Camelbak version myself, which was twice the weight. Your BOB seems well thought out, I'm sure you'll add and subtract things over time as we all do, personal choices, changing conditions etc. Point is you saw the need to create one, and a good start considering working within a budget. One suggestion if your concerned about the
stitching is to do like I did, purchase the thread from ebay or whatever source you chose and add some to your sewing kit or field repair kit. Another thing that seems to have stirred a discussion is the addition of a sleeping bag, I would suggest carrying one either attached to your BOB or carried in your car. Just my opinion though, I'm sure some will argue either for or against.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#113515 - 11/25/07 06:24 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: climberslacker]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Ironraven -
  • The yellow survival tent from REI has been removed
  • The smaller Playtypus water container has been removed
  • The large soap bar will be removed when I find a travel sized bar
  • Bug spray has been put in a plastic bag
  • I don't actually have a CamelBack bladder in the BOB, it wouldn't fit.
  • Hand sanitizer bottles will be limited
  • Sleeping bag will be hanging near the BOB for quick attaching
  • I will have to think about limiting the flashlights, it's always such a hard decision...
  • The lid to the 700ml cup is near the cup but i can't figure out how to attach it to the cup when the cup is on the Nalgene bottle...

Teacher-The fleece gloves, cap, and jacket are on the way

JIM- I have a full baggy of 50 quick tinders that are waiting to go into my kit(s) once I get my order of tiny bottles and baggys in.

climberslacker- I will be ordering a box of N95 masks ASAP. I am always hesitant to order a certain type just because there are SO many different styles and I don't want to order an inferior model.

Shadow-I will be making a repair kit very soon. There was a great post like a week ago about repair kits that will help me in my formation of the kit.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

#113528 - 11/25/07 08:10 PM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: ironraven]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: ironraven

As a result, any BOB I build doesn't have a sleeping bag. But he's certainly got a place to mount one. Instead, my sleeping bags are stored on hangers where they can breath and be fluffed. If I have to, it takes maybe 2 minutes to dump the right bag for the season into the dry bag that already has a pad, hammock and hammock straps in it. If I have time, I'll pull in the compression straps, and mounted it to BOB; if I don't, grab the carry handle and have a hand full. *shrugs*

Totally agree with you Ironraven. My sleeping bag is in the bag from REI that it came with, and as such is about as big as my BOB (a large ALICE pack). I can pack it quick if need be, or just cram it into the bag.

But, just in case, my BOB does have 2 wool blankets, as well as the obligatory space blankets. I've also got a fleece top, wool glove liners, and fleece hat in it.

Plus, since I don't plan on walking as my first mode of transport, my car has more space blankets and 2 more wool blankets, vacuum sealed and tucked under my backseat.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.