Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#113460 - 11/25/07 03:58 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: TheSock]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Space blankets can be used for all kinds of things. They're water and wind proof. I keep a cheap one around to set up as a radiant heat reflector...or two reflectors.

As for not having a sleeping bag that all depends on what your bug out plan is. Not everybody who's 'bugging out' is going to be roughing it in the woods.

#113462 - 11/25/07 04:07 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: ]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
You are so very right. A heat sheet helps but it does not provide the warmth of a sleeping bag. The only problem is that a sleeping bag (at least mine for that matter) is that it is as big as my entire kit!!

My bug out plan does not include sleeping in the wilderness without shelter.

I am not discrediting the idea of carrying a sleeping bag in your BOB (in fact i am thinking of strapping mine to my BOB right now!!) but for some users, it isn't their number one priority for BOB contents.

Just my $0.02

#113464 - 11/25/07 04:11 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: Rusty]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
So you all have somewhere to run? And the kit is to get you there? What do you do when you need to sleep?
The Sock

#113468 - 11/25/07 04:27 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: TheSock]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I can't speak for anyone else, but my answer to the sleeping bag question:

BOB is stored fully loaded, except possibly for water (I've got 4 quarts at all times in mine). Sleeping bags that are stored in compression bags for a long time go to pot, pure and simple. You lose loft, and it never comes back. Also, the bag I carry in summer (lows in the 50s-60s) is in no way shape or form able to deal with my winter needs (lows in the single digits or lower, with -30s happening several times a year).

As a result, any BOB I build doesn't have a sleeping bag. But he's certainly got a place to mount one. Instead, my sleeping bags are stored on hangers where they can breath and be fluffed. If I have to, it takes maybe 2 minutes to dump the right bag for the season into the dry bag that already has a pad, hammock and hammock straps in it. If I have time, I'll pull in the compression straps, and mounted it to BOB; if I don't, grab the carry handle and have a hand full. *shrugs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113469 - 11/25/07 04:48 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: TheSock]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

If you don't have someplace to go, you've failed to plan.

Before you start looking at the sexy toys, the first, nay, the ZEROTH thing you have to do once you made the decision to develope a bug out plan is have a destination, a "bug out location" (BOL). Preferably, people are normally at your BOL and the expect you rather than repel boarders as soon as they see you.

Then, and only then do starting assembling your kit with the time it will take you to get there in mind. Assume you'll have to walk. For some people, it is under 20 miles, say a family member or a friend who lives on high ground and has a solid house. Or 20 miles to get from work to home. You can generally push that through in a day, without significant stops. It might mean an all nighter on your feet, but it works. I don't have that luxury, even if my primary route has a couple of way points where I might be able to beg some floor space (or a couch to crash on during a short term disruption) it is 70 miles to my primary BOL, so I plan on spending every night in the field until I get to where I'm going.

BOB is a survival machine, just like an life raft or an ejector seat. It doesn't have to work for everyone under all conditions, just you under your conditions. It has to be able to get you to your BOL(s) under your own power. Sometimes, you'll have transport and you won't need BOB's contents for very long. Other times, you'll have BOB and a pair of shoes and maybe your glasses or underware (pick one). Either way, BOB must be able to give you what you need accomplish your objective given expected duration (plus a safety margin), your local conditions and your personal skills. But if you don't have a plan before you pull the pin, you are at best going to be a well equipped refugee. At worst, you'll be a well equipped corpse, at least until someone finds you and picks your pockets.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113471 - 11/25/07 05:33 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: TheSock]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Sock -- I'm with you. A 3-5 pound bag is great to have.

Rusty -- My first suggestion is to upgrade to fleece; hat and sweatshirt. Cheap and very nice to have

#113472 - 11/25/07 05:38 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: Rusty]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

>CamelBack bladder could go
Remember that water occupied about 60 cubic inches per quart/liter, plus space for all the parts of the bladder. If you are tight already, don't count on getting a big bladder in. I'd rather have the Nalgenes if forced to pick between bottles and bladders.

>mini BIC lighter
Ziptie under the plunger so it can't be vented accidentally. Goes for the big Bic as well.

>Cutter bugspray 35 DEET
Bag it WELL. A small hard case for it would be better. DEET eats nylon, and the damage isn't always visible. On your lower cost packs, you don't find true Codura as often, which is one of the most dense and thus most resistant nylons available, but still- I've switched to paramethium (I think that is what is called- Cutter Advanced)

>2 bottles hand sanitizer
1 should be enough.

>Survival tent from REI (yellow)
Drop it, you have the GoLite

>Stainless Steel mess kit
Expand, you might be able to cut something out here.

> [*]Playtypus 2 liter water carrier
> [*]Playtypus 1 liter water bag
I'd say pick one.

> [*]Lid for Snow Peak 700ml cup
Should be with the cup.

You caught most of your own short comings. I would strip out some of the clothes, myself, but not the socks.

I'd add a vest, preferably not an obviously tactical pattern but photo/safari or fishing type. Put some of your core items (PSK, FAK, one knife or multi, flashlight, etc) in it, that way if you have to drop BOB for some reason you've still got the major components. That will free up some space.

This has compression straps high and low- I'm not a fan of Blackhawk, but they make accessory pockets of about 300ci each that will fit on there that run about 20 bucks each. Similiarly, if you have a small enough sleeping bag, some of your shelter items can share a dry bag with it under the pack, or just put some of your smaller soft stuff and your consumables in a dry bag and last it to the bottom of the pack.

You have a number of flashlights- cut the number down, and if possible settle on two battery sizes. You'll need spare batteries.

In some places you've got full sized items (like the bar of soap) where you can get away with a cut down or travel sized equivalent.

#113476 - 11/25/07 06:40 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: ironraven]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Let me see if I've got this right then: A kit without a sleeping bag doesn't work?
So the kits without a sleeping bag added before you leave has
this plethora of knives, pens, cord, fire starting kits etc to get you through one day?
Or; you assume you can only have to bug out from home where you can pick the sleeping bag up?
The Socks

#113477 - 11/25/07 09:13 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: TheSock]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

A sleeping bag will make life more comfortable, but it's not essential if you can improvise shelter.

#113478 - 11/25/07 09:48 AM Re: Rusty's BOB with pics [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Do you mean some kind of heated shelter like a lean to with a fire in front? Getting a good nights sleep sounds pretty essential. You won't last long if you are awake all night shivering and might not survive a frosty night at all.
The Sock

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.