Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#113366 - 11/24/07 01:04 AM Storage Problems..Where Do You Put All This Stuff?
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

I have a household problem I hope you can help me with.

My 3 kids are becoming teeneagers and the 2 youngest (girls) wanted there own rooms, so this resulted in the oldest (boy) being moved out of his room (we did it while he was away at camp last summer) and the plan is that he will occupy my outdoor equipment room in the basement.

The problem is; "Where do I store all my great stuff, that it has taken me years to collect and I access daily"? I am not talking about the PSK's, FAK's, BOB's, emergency food, etc; I mean all the normal stuff that prepared people who also enjoy outdoor recreation accumulate.

At present I have most of it stored in solid colour Rubbermaid containers (I think they are about 60 L capacity). Because we moved around a lot throughout the 90's we now have about 75 of these containers. See-thru containers would help show what the contents are.

Even if you label the containers it is hard to know what all is in them (especially small stuff) and the item you want always seems to be on the bottom. Stacking them is a problem to get to the bottom bin so I have built 2x4 shelving to put these bins on (2 on bottom floor, 1 on middle row, 1 on top row).

My DW and I are also packrats and have a problem parting with functional items, even if we use them infrequently (this is surely the root cause of our lack of storage space). Big yard sale next spring already planned (I promise).

Before I start a major basement renovation project this winter I was hoping that someone on the forum had faced a similar problem before and found the "perfect outdoor equipment storage technique".

Please feel free to share you ideas,

Mike

#113367 - 11/24/07 01:18 AM Re: Storage Problems..Where Do You Put All This Stuff? [Re: SwampDonkey]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
What about a workshop w/ upstairs storage? Our local big box hardware store has a model w/ about 6m X 6m downstairs with about half that upstairs.

#113368 - 11/24/07 01:23 AM Re: Storage Problems..Where Do You Put All This Stuff? [Re: UTAlumnus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi UTAlumnus,

Thanks for the reply but I do not understand what you mean by upstairs - downstairs storage? Could you provide more details?

Do you mean a stand alone building seperate from the house for storage?

Mike

#113370 - 11/24/07 01:40 AM Re: Storage Problems..Where Do You Put All This St [Re: SwampDonkey]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Short term:

R-organize the bins putting items that you have not used for at least a year and ensure that these bins are on the bottom....do not allow maybe, might, should, probably etc, cloud your judgment.

Now put a number on the front, side or lid then keep a list of their contents on a clipboard.

The best long term path is to scale down your pack rat lifestyle! smile

#113371 - 11/24/07 01:53 AM Re: Storage Problems..Where Do You Put All This St [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

I like the numbering idea Sherpadog (I cannot see me being organized enough to do the clipboard, maybe).

You are truly correct about the "too much stuff lifestyle", I have to face reality and really get rid of unused junk.

Mike

#113372 - 11/24/07 01:54 AM Re: Storage Problems..Where Do You Put All This St [Re: SwampDonkey]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
You got it. Similar in shape to this except a wider footprint and a 2nd floor.

#113373 - 11/24/07 02:03 AM Re: Storage Problems..Where Do You Put All This St [Re: UTAlumnus]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I would agree with UTALumnus but depending on where you live and your neighbors you could go with a less expensive metal storage shed. Which ever you decide to go with build shelves before start packing the stuff in.

#113375 - 11/24/07 02:22 AM Re: Storage Problems..Where Do You Put All This St [Re: UTAlumnus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

WOW, you guys think BIG.

If I built a storage shed like that I could set it up with air conditioning, heat, electricity, running water, maybe a couch, fridge, TV/DVD and computer; that would be fabulous!

Wait, reality check; unfortunately my financial resources will not allow be to build another structure at this time (DW would flip if I even suggested it). For now I am going to have to store my stuff within the buildings I have (basement, attached garage, detached shed).

Thanks for letting me dream though,

Mike

P.S. Looking at the link you provided the cost of building material must be less in the US?

#113377 - 11/24/07 02:48 AM Re: Storage Problems..Where Do You Put All This St [Re: SwampDonkey]
CDVXF7 Offline

Put all that stuff on eBay.

#113378 - 11/24/07 02:48 AM Re: Storage Problems..Where Do You Put All This St [Re: SwampDonkey]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I had started a big reply but its too late at night to finish it. In short build up. tops of closets are often wasted space. Measure the top shelf of each closet and build a duplicate of it about a foot higher and move all those hats and gloves and stuff up. then put your most important gear there and you have now emptied some space. Same with the garage, build shelves up. In the bottoms of closets get those shoe organizers and little pull out drawers. I've managed to consolidate each person's personal gear to their closet so then the garage and shed are all the shared stuff.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.