Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#113413 - 11/24/07 04:17 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: SwampDonkey]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The Boy Scout winter camping training (called OKPIC - I haven't taken it yet, but have talked with lots who have) suggests using the pink foam building insulation. Cut out the shape you want. Cut it into strips wide enough to handle (1-1.5') and then use duct tape to reconnect them accordian-style, so it will all fold up moderately compact (as compact as it gets).

If you're looking for a great winter tent (3-season tents), check out the Alps Mountaineering Vertex or Taurus tents. Make sure to get the Taurus with aluminum poles.

About the best deal in a 4-season tent I've seen is the Eureka Assault Outfitter.

#113417 - 11/24/07 04:58 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: KenK]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

If I were going to make my own I'd use something hard core like Dow Thermax insulation. It's foil backed, glass reinforced, and has an R value of 6.5 per inch...you can build awesome shelters out of it.

Assembling a pad the way KenK suggests using foil or duct tape a 6 foot long, 20" wide pad out of 0.5 inch foam would fold to 6"x6"x20". But there's no way that would be practical to carry. I'd be better off buying a Thermarest Z-Lite pad.

I've been constantly shopping for tents and bivy bags and a 4 season tent is way out of my price range...I don't think there is such a thing as an inexpensive 4 season tent. Bivy's are looking much better for this as a 4 season bivy is not much more than a standard bivy...and most standard bivys seem to be fairly well suited to standing up to winter. It's a shame that US Military issue bivys are camo as there is a large number of Goretex bags on eBay for less than $40.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is NOT camping. I don't need to be completely comfortable...just not hypothermic, frost bitten, dehydrated, or injured. For my personal style I'd rather be equipped to handle many different situations fairly well instead of being equipped to handle only a specific few very well.

#113421 - 11/24/07 05:41 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Hacksaw,

It is common to see foam insulation (usually Stryofoam SM) used as seat cushions in ice huts and on camping chairs. It also makes a very warm "toilet seat" and is what we have in both the outhouse at our cabin and portable "thunder box" for remote truck camping.

We have tried sitting on it while on the deer stand but it makes a loud "squeak" when you move on it. Standing on a piece while ice fishing helps heep your feet warm.

If you cut a hole through the ice and want to use the same hole the next day (for fishing or water collection) put a piece of thick stryofoam in the hole and cover it over with loose snow. Unless it is really cold overnight the hole will usually be unfrozen the next day.

Mike

#113424 - 11/24/07 05:49 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Hacksaw,

I've just looked up the specification for the The North Face Aleutian Sleeping Bag, which is rated at -7C, which is a 1545gm synthetic bag . I don't think this is going to warm enough for the temperatures you have indicated. The -7C or 20F appears to be the extreme temperature range indicated on the US TNF website information. The comfort range is 2C on the UK websites. i.e just above freezing. I could be wrong but the TNF website doesn't appear to indicate what temperature the -7C refers to, whether this is the comfort or extreme rating. If it is the extreme rating then this would be the temperature where there is a risk of cold weather injury for the user.

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=AZG7

If your expecting -15C with possible windchill effects combined wtih inadequate wind breaks from the sil poncho tarp, real temperature effects could be approaching -25C in a moderate wind i.e. 15 to 20 mph. You could be risking a cold weather injury.

You may also have to come up with some novel ways to keep your gas cartridge stove working at these temperatures as well. You will need to ensure that the gas cartridge does not become chilled or the stove may begin to stop working even when the cartridge seems to be still 3/4 full.

#113430 - 11/24/07 07:06 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving win [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'm a hot sleeper so I typically buy my bags a bit cooler than I expect to be out in. Having something over the bag (any shelter or even the AMK bivy) will increase the effectiveness of the bag too. The bag is new and hasn't been tested in the cold yet but by my standards it's fairly heavy (physically too...It weighs 3 lbs). I too have been trying to find out if the -7 is a comfort rating or not...seems like a comfort rating but I haven't been able to confirm. It's all subjective anyhow...no two companies use the same tests.

Reviews like this one suggest that it's much warmer than advertised...though I've read reviews that indicate the opposite too. One thing that is consistent in the reviews is that it's a top quality bag.

As for the fuel cans I'm going to experiment with using chemical hand warmers under the concave base of the can and keeping the can in my sleeping bag at night.

#113432 - 11/24/07 07:18 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Blast
If you want to go the super cheap route (other then getting great stuff from your awesome friend) find a carpet store near you and get a remnent of some thick carpet padding (the foam stuff that gets placed under the carpet to make it softer). The stuff weighs a ton, but it's dirt cheap, maybe even free if you talk to the right person. A double layer of this padding will give you very nice insulation.

-Blast

Is carpet pading a sponge??? Will it absorb moisture?

#113438 - 11/24/07 08:27 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: Stu]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
SBRaider,

That's a good question. I've used carpet padding on the ground in our back yard and also tentless car-camping on a few cold (40-50's) nights without a problem. They were pretty dry nights except for some dew.

Okay, just tested a chunk in the sink. Yep, it sucks up the water. Thank's for the warning!

I guess I'll just turn it into a comfy cat bed. Now, where did I put that bear trap...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#113441 - 11/24/07 09:58 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Blast
I guess I'll just turn it into a comfy cat bed. Now, where did I put that bear trap...

-Blast

Hey Blast,
You could put the soaked carpet pad cat bed, next to a old electric heater, with several bare wires. A catnip mouse under the wires...... Well you know what will happen! Poof

Relax folks, this is just a joke.

#113461 - 11/25/07 04:06 AM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: Stu]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
All foam pads are sponges unless they are covered with something vapor tight. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113463 - 11/25/07 04:08 AM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: SwampDonkey]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, the roadkill scenario is mostly during practice. During the real thing, I'd probably have out a couple of them, or a strobe if I had one with me.

Nothing like being in a snow-based shelter, while it is snowing, in the middle of a snowy field to help the SAR team not see you. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.