Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#113351 - 11/23/07 09:18 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Mountain Equipment Coop rates the Ridge Rest at 2.6. But this is still the highest rated closed cell pad they sell...I just hate how bulky the closed cell pads are.

#113352 - 11/23/07 09:33 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: raydarkhorse]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: raydarkhorse
In this scenario are you carrying your entire pack or just the survival gear? I know that I don't carry a full pack for day trip fishing but I do carry my small day bag. I would also be dressed in layers for he weather with possibly another light jacket for later in the evening
DAY BAG CONTENTS
1 baklava
I normally have a heat sheet in the bag too, but when I started to write this I opened it up to make sure I was writing a correct list and found it missing.
I would limit my test to what I would normally carry, since that is all you will realistically have.

Cool, you bring dessert with you! smile I just couldn't resist! LOL

#113353 - 11/23/07 09:36 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

I agree with the tent and candle lanter, or even 2. Just remember to vent the tent.

#113354 - 11/23/07 09:44 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Hacksaw

Quote:
Mountain Equipment Coop rates the Ridge Rest at 2.6. But this is still the highest rated closed cell pad they sell...I just hate how bulky the closed cell pads are.

The RidgeRest is rated at 2.6 http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=49&cID=2
The RidgeRest Deluxe is rated at 3.1 http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=55&cID=3

#113355 - 11/23/07 09:46 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: raydarkhorse]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

A few large chemical heat packs (body size), as well as hand and foot warmer packs may make life a little easier, for the addition little weight or space.
HEAT PACKS

#113356 - 11/23/07 09:53 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: Stu]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: SBRaider
A few large chemical heat packs (body size), ans well as hand and foot warmer packs may make life a little easier, for the addition little weight or space.
HEAT PACKS

I ALWAYS carry chemical warmers...usually end up giving them away to the unprepared.

#113357 - 11/23/07 10:11 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Last January, when I went winter camping the Adirondack Mountains, I tossed 2 body warmer packs inside a homemade cloth case into the foot of my sleeping bag about 45 minutes before I got in the bag. The bag was very nice and warm, almost too warm.

#113358 - 11/23/07 11:05 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: Stu]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
the trick is keeping em sealed so the honey dosent get all over the place.

#113359 - 11/23/07 11:22 PM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: raydarkhorse]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: raydarkhorse
the trick is keeping em sealed so the honey dosent get all over the place.

Good idea. Honey in the wrong places make a real mess! grin

#113362 - 11/24/07 12:12 AM Re: Testing winter survival gear. By surviving winter! [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Hacksaw,

Your experiment sounds like a good test and a real adventure, Good Luck. How far away from shore do you usually ice fish? If I could I would sure try to get to shore and utilize forest cover for my camp.

I was thinking about driving tent pegs into ice and had a couple ideas.

When ice fishing I always pack slush from cutting the hole around my tip-up rig to make them stand up. Slush freezes very solid in a short time and could be used to anchour a tent peg easily.

I have also had my ice fishing hut blown across the ice and damaged. To prevent this drill/chop a hole all the way through the ice, take a one foot piece of heavy stick (or anything sturdy) and tie a rope in the middle, put the stick down the hole, turn it sideways and pull it up against the bottom of the ice with the rope through the hole to the surface; instant strong tie point. I have done this with chain also when there was a risk of having my hut stolen. Whatever you freeze in this way you will probally not recover the lower portion.

I have used ice screws in the past to salvage snowmobiles that have got through the ice, they are very strong and remove a core from the ice. The are quite light weight but not cheap at $35.00 each. Here is a link to MEC http://mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302691749&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442242435&bmUID=1195866314130

Hope this helps,

Mike

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.