Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#113229 - 11/22/07 03:54 AM Re: Power outage turns on the lights... [Re: ame]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi ame,

I appreciate the safety lesson on connecting our hunt camp wiring to a generator.

I am not skilled in electrical techniques but I will print out your message and provide it to the member in our camp who is.

Even from reading your post I can understand how it would be much safer to hardwire a connection into the camp system.

Thanks for the advice,

Mike

#113288 - 11/22/07 08:21 PM Re: Power outage turns on the lights... [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"... but any lineman worth his salt is going to take appropriate steps to safegaurd against such stray currents anyways, or they ought not be doing that sort of work."

Linemen can be just as stupid and careless as plumbers, septic tank cleaners, veterinarians and soldiers.

I was recently driving a RR crew member who used to be a lineman, and he was telling us all the different ways that they get killed. Some were true accidents, some were from stupidity.

Don't assume.

Sue

#113293 - 11/22/07 11:44 PM Re: Power outage turns on the lights... [Re: SwampDonkey]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey Ame,

I spoke to the electrical guy at my camp today and we are on that safety "double male plug" problem first thing in the spring, it is an easy fix.

Thanks again,

Mike

#113299 - 11/23/07 12:28 AM Re: Power outage turns on the lights... [Re: OutdoorDad]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
When I connect my generator up to the home-20, I do the following:

1) Isolate the house from the electric grid at the main breaker.
2) Pull the stove's circuit breaker.
3) Connect a 220vac wire to the stove circuit breaker and re-install the stove circuit breaker.
4) Plug the 220vac wire into the generator receptacle for 220vac.
5) Secure every circuit breaker on the circuit breaker box.
6) Start the generator and then enegize those circuits that you wish to use.
7) You must know the power draw of the equipment that you wish to run in your house. A 60w light bulb draws 60 watts. Don't try to run more equipment than what your generator can support.

I run the lights, TV, Computor, and cable box. I secure everything when I want to run the refrigerator and freezer, after I pull out what I want for the day.

That's how I do it!!

#113483 - 11/25/07 12:34 PM Re: Power outage turns on the lights... [Re: UTAlumnus]
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Quote:
male plug attached to the building in the same way as an RV receptacle

Wouldn't this result in the male plug being hot when operating with mains power?

Yes, it would, except that in SwampDonkey's case there is no grid power. The generator is the only source of power.

A

#113484 - 11/25/07 12:51 PM Re: Power outage turns on the lights... [Re: ame]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
My parents house and my grandmothers house both have emergency lighting and backup generators. My apartment, I probably wouldn't even notice if the power went out, except for my TV and electric stove not turning on. Wouldn't really bother me though.

#113505 - 11/25/07 04:48 PM Re: Power outage turns on the lights... [Re: ame]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I was thinking how to set it up for the posts that started the topic. For SwampDonkey, an RV set-up with cold male from the wall to hot generator would work great.

#113646 - 11/26/07 02:39 PM Re: Power outage turns on the lights... [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, "Stupid is as Stupid does..." is a good topical quote for the human factor.

I've circumvented procedure for whatever reason more than once and been nailed for it too. It happens to the best of us I suppose. We all have our stupid moments; the lucky ones survive and hopefully learn an unpleasant but important lesson.

Now, as with firearms, I assume the item in question is in a potentially lethal configuration until I've proven that it isn't, such as using a probe, locking out the circuit, etc. I go through the checklist, and if I am not familiar with the circuit, then I don't proceed until I am. I don't rely on someone else to tell me it is okay anymore. I check it myself, and check my test equipment against a known standard so I know the test equipment is working as it should. You can never be too careful.

Even so, there are inherent risks in such endeavors that simply cannot be totally mitigated. There is no such thing as foolproof, or 100%, or totally isolated. But if you take the necessary steps to eliminate the most likely threats, and be wary of the murphy factor, then there is a certain amount of hazard that I guess we can live with, or else we'd never get anything done I suppose.

It took time and experience for me to become worth my salt as a technician, even with the best training up front money could buy. I don't make the sort of mistakes that created unnecessary hazards in the past, but I still make mistakes, and I still face hazards even now. I am not as sloppy nor as hasty about things as I was at first. Taking 500 volts across the chest will educate you pretty well I reckon, if you survive it, which I was fortunate enough to do.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.