Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#113332 - 11/23/07 03:52 PM Re: What can HAPPEN on a cruise ship??? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I interned with a cruise line while in college. I kept on board ship and currently in my boat a very small waterproof bag with a set of rain pants and a hooded jacket (rain, wind, and sun protection), a boonie style hat, good wrap around sunglasses, a weeks worth of prescription meds, water packets or water bottle(s), SPF 45 water use sun screen, space blanket now replaced with AMK 2 person heat sheet(s), a book or 2 (keep the mind occupied and emergency TP), camping TP, plastic whistle, small LED light, a small modified military fishing kit with extra 50 pound line, FAK, a SAK and a few energy bars. .I'm not sure if a SAK is allowed on cruise ships at this time.

The AMK PSP and SOL kits weren't available when I had the cruise ship bag, but they are part of my boat bag.

#113385 - 11/24/07 03:17 AM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: fordwillman]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
I think every life vest should have a whistle.

I think the knife / multitool ban depends on the cruise line, but I wouldn't try to sneak one on. You can pick up at least a butter knife once you're onboard if you absolutely can't live without it, but I wouldn't.

I think a flashlight (or one per person) is an excellent thing to carry. It's pretty useful just in day to day situations.

I'd consider carrying hand sanitizer and wipes. Some cruise lines like Disney bombard you with these but I think others just ask people to wash their hands. Ships get some nasty outbreaks and that might be your biggest realistic threat.

If the cruise line allows it, I like to pack a suitcase of bottled water. Or booze.

If your party splits up, it helps to establish some place to keep a little notepad to pass messages. Or you could try using the phone / voicemail system to do that. It's amazing how crippled we feel without cell phones. You could try some FRS / GMRS radios but if you don't use them right they're useless. A couple postit notes on a cabin door work fine.

#113696 - 11/26/07 09:07 PM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: fordwillman]
ks56 Offline
Stranger

When I took a cruise to Alaska earlier this year I carried a Doug Ritter PSK, an AMK Ultralight 5, and my Swiss Army knife on and of the cruise ship each day. Their metal detector never went off.

I did not carry any of these items, however, on the flight to or from Alaska.

Edited by ks56 (11/26/07 09:39 PM)

#113707 - 11/26/07 11:27 PM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: ks56]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Not so much on topic, but I've never had a problem in Mexico- TJ, Ensenada, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, most of the west coast tourist spots. Not even when I was there on my senior vacation, drunk for 7 straight days. One night I found myself stumbling through a neighborhood, off the main drag, back towards the hotel. A pair of cops stopped me: Who am I? Why am I here? etc... usual cop stuff. When I started to reply in Spanish things seemed a bit more at ease. The point is, 1) I apparently speak Spanish really well when I'm drunk, and 2) knowing the local language can help a great deal. I guess it forms a connection so it's harder to roll you for money.

On the other hand, I could have been so wasted that they knew I had no money left!!

#113715 - 11/27/07 12:29 AM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: MDinana]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Having spent 18 wonderful month in Panama long ago, where they seem to speak Spanish a lot, I used to be pretty good at it. Unfortunately, 'bout all I remember is uno cervaza por favor...

#113747 - 11/27/07 02:14 AM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Getting drunk in a place like Mexico doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

A friend of my brother's goes to Mexico, and she has money sewn into most of her clothes. She said she's never had a problem, but she knows many who have, but most of them are the people who insist on partying no matter what the place or conditions.

Sue

#113920 - 11/28/07 02:13 PM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: fordwillman]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Just got back from a Holland America Cariberian cruise. I had my Leatherman Wave and a Mora knife with ferostick whisle and 10ft paracord attached, a FSK couple of flashlights and two GPRS radios. No problem now if I had tried to bring on a bottle of scotch then I am sure there would have been trouble, LOL.

cheers

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.