Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#113228 - 11/22/07 03:53 AM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: wildman800]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

... "the "fine" is typically whatever amount you can produce."

In the US the word bribe has such a negative connotation. In poorer nations they don't see it as corruption or usurious. Police and other officials are not well paid. 'Fines', 'donations' and 'user fees' are how these people live. The deal is they, these officials, are given a position and a nominal salary. They are expected to carry out the majority of the concerns of the office but to also make what they will of the leverage the office gives. Generally the law, and the way the law is handled, is that as long as the 'fees' are not excessive, usually judged on a sliding scale, with Yankees being assumed to be rich, they are free to extract value from their office.

Local police are often seen as doing their jobs if the local crimes are kept to a dull roar. And not all crimes are equal. Local punks, high spirited and enterprising youths, stealing anything not bolted down and shaking down people for the content of their wallets is seen as relatively harmless. Within certain limits.

Punks know not to hassle people with connections to the local community. Also to avoid the main streets of the tourist areas. And to limit any violence to a roughing people up.

In one case the break-ins to hotel rooms, rental cars, pickpocketing and muggings were a regular event. Usually it happens away from the main tourist areas and to people who were drunk or stupid. But it could happen to anyone. Generally the police would document the crime and only the stupidest criminals ever charged. Things changed when a punk stabbed someone during a robbery. Suddenly the local police were very effective. The perpetrator was found, confessed, evidently with a little help, and apologies and goods returned.

Shaking the tourists down is OK as long as it is done discreetly and they stay within the norms of behavior. Stabbing them crossed the line. This was clearly bad for business. The correction was swift and sure.

Note that the standard is a sliding scale. Remote areas with desperately deep poverty and boom/bust, sex trade and drug economies are still dangerous. You can be kidnapped, maimed or killed. Ironically extremely remote areas with pastoral and agricultural economies can be much safer than cities and tourist areas.

What I'm relating here is that crime here is seen as outside society. Over there certain types and levels of crime are seen as business as usual, part of the local ecosystem. Street thugs are essentially businessmen. They have a symbiotic relationship with the police and everyone works in the local industry, usually tourism, seen as extracting money from rich tourists without causing so much trauma that the tourists stop coming.

A policeman can't live on his pay. He sees his job as performing a service keeping the worse of crime, particularly violent crime, under control. He sees rich tourist as the primary beneficiaries of his efforts. So he considers it entirely right that the tourists should pay a user fee for his efforts to keep them relatively safe, if not entirely unmolested.

It pays to have many pockets and to have many small wads of money. Memorize what you have where. A five and five ones folded flat with a rubber band is a handy packet. This arrangement allows you to extract a 'donation' without exposing more than what you want to give.

Attitude also counts. Smile. Play the game. Be complimentary. If pulled for a traffic infraction you might comment that many, lesser, policeman might have missed the infraction. Comment on how official and respectable he looks in his uniform. Treat him with respect and acknowledge his authority without cloying. You need to be firm without challenging him.

Remember that he likely doesn't see this as a bribe or anything wrong. You are traveling in his territory. An area he works hard to make relatively safe for you. But for his efforts the local thugs might slit your throat and take everything you have. Donating to him is a small price to pay for his services.

#113247 - 11/22/07 01:08 PM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Blast

Dang Blast,
You are worth just eighteen dollars????

Depends on who's paying the ransom, my wife or my company...
shocked shocked shocked

-Blast grin [/quote]
Pray it isn't the cat! grin grin grin grin

#113259 - 11/22/07 03:35 PM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: Stu]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Pray it isn't the cat!

Hey, that cat loves me. I know this because when I wake up at night he's always sitting there staring at me.

That's love, right?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#113264 - 11/22/07 04:20 PM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Blast, Blast,,When he's licking his chops, it's because he's figuring out how to kill and cook you. Don't let him lull you with his guile!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

#113267 - 11/22/07 04:56 PM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...That's love, right?..."

You just keep thinking there Butch...

#113318 - 11/23/07 11:34 AM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Hi, fordwillman,
went on a cruise to Ensenada two weeks ago. A few surprises. The travel iron I've taken on three other cruises in the last three years is now considered a safety risk.. leave the iron behind. What I threw into the X-ray tray and was allowed was my Leatherman Squirt P4 and a titanium money clip.
Also, call your cell phone company and find out about foreign phone calls and check your cruise line's policy on their charges for your phone call going through their system. (And maybe you won't get an $800 surprise)
Save room for dessert(s) and enjoy.

P.S. Five litres of rum per person through customs hasn't been a problem yet.

Edited by Basecamp (11/23/07 11:37 AM)

#113322 - 11/23/07 12:56 PM What can HAPPEN on a cruise ship??? [Re: fordwillman]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
A cruise ship off the coast of Antarctica has struck a submerged object and is sinking. All life boats have been launched and a handfull of crew remains onboard for the moment.

The question now is: What did the ETS member bring with his family, onboard the lifeboat, to ensure his family's survival????

In my case:
A) I would ensure everyone was dressed warmly and had a lifejacket,
B) grab every blanket we can carry,
C) grab whatever water, and
D) food that we can.

In that order.

E) I would bring whatever EDC I had brought/been allowed to bring onboard.

Remember, if you take too long, the last lifeboat may inadvertently leave you behind.

#113323 - 11/23/07 01:47 PM Re: What can HAPPEN on a cruise ship??? [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I was just going to bring up the cruise ship M/S Explorer. Seems like it doesn't take much to sink a cruise ship.

IF I was to take a cruise I'd take as much as they'd allow with the idea of getting to a lifeboat and surviving a short period as comfortably as possible. I'd pack a couple LED flashlights and I'd EDC my 1xAAA LED light -- when the lights go out a ship's interior is very dark. Signal mirror and whistle would be in my Mission Wallet with the 1xAAA LED. I'd have a small grab bag to store the extra supplies I'd want to have before the ship starts sinking. Have clothing that's good for an extended stay outside the ship's interior. On this M/S Explorer ship that might be Smartwool long underwear, wool socks, wool head cover (beanie) and a parka with a hood and big pockets to carry stuff -- nothing special, but layered and warm.

Just for conversation, I don't take cruises, did that enough in the Navy, don't need to pay for it.

Mexico?: I live in San Diego and NEVER go south of the border. Last time was 1998 and it was not a pleasant drive. Going into a tourist trap via cruise ship with the intent of paying $$$ and having a good time might be a different experience I'll never get the chance to try smile

Didn't realize knives were an issue in Mexico. Glad nothing transpired to bring that to somebody's attention and cause me to: 1) lose the knife and 2) pay a contribution to avoid any further issue.

#113328 - 11/23/07 02:46 PM Re: What can I take on a cruise ship??? [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
Pray it isn't the cat!

Hey, that cat loves me. I know this because when I wake up at night he's always sitting there staring at me.

That's love, right?

-Blast

Blast,
I hope you and yours had a fine day, Turkey - oops - a fine Turkey Day!

If the poor little kitty has a napkin tied around it's neck, and is holding a knife and fork (although, from the pictures, it doesn't need them) in it's paws, and is licking it's chops, it prob. loves you like I love a fine steak! grin grin

#113330 - 11/23/07 03:29 PM Re: What can HAPPEN on a cruise ship??? [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some lessons can be learnt from the story of the Cruise ship Oceanos which began to sink of the coast of South Africa a few years back.
The Greek captain and crew secretly abandoned the ship leaving the passengers to die. They didn't even send out a mayday or distress signal. It was left up the British entertainment staff to call in the mayday and organise the evacuation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFux2AAMso&feature=related

If going on a cruise ship, just make sure the captain and crew isn't Greek.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.