Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#113144 - 11/21/07 02:09 AM Re: Boy Scout Troop FAK [Re: MDinana]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I was on a whitewater trip one time and was told not to worry about bringing a FAK because there was going to be a doctor on the trip. Turned out he was a dermatologist whose first aid knowledge was about the same as most of the scouts on the trip.

And find out which of the scouts are really gung-ho on the first aid stuff - I was, and it's led me to EMS and eventually med school. See if they'll carry some extra items, and know about the troop FAK. That way if something happens to the adults, there's still someone that can help.

Yeah, um that scout is me. (: So thats why I volunteered to do this. I am Cpr, Aed and First aid trained by Red Cross. The doctors we have, I know, have done this stuff a lot. I probably know as much or more about first aid than most of the adult leaders.

"Another thing to possibly think of is oxygen, the wonder drug. Probably not for a young scout (altho a serious injury could change that), but possibly for the adult leaders. Some of those guys can have a few years on them, and you never can tell when someone might have the big one. The fast application of O2 can literally be a life saver..."

where would I get this?
-JAce

Edited by climberslacker (11/21/07 02:12 AM)

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#113148 - 11/21/07 02:57 AM Re: Boy Scout Troop FAK [Re: climberslacker]
ZechariahStover Offline
Stranger

Loc: Connecticut
Hello,
The Scout camp that I worked at several summers gets their Oxygen from the local welding shop which also supplies medical grade Oxygen. The tanks, regulators, masks and other such they bought from Moore Medical.com Moor Medical. An Aluminum D tank is $71+s&h which I think is what our camp got. You may not need a tank that large in which case you could look at the Portable Life-O-Gen Life-O-Gen. I'm not sure what there official shelf life is but I have heard people complaining that it is only a few years.
I hope this is of help to you.

Zechariah

#113155 - 11/21/07 03:26 AM Re: Boy Scout Troop FAK [Re: ZechariahStover]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
You got docs. Great there is the place to start.

First they sould know what is useful.

Second they may be able to get you the equipment at a discount through their offices. There is also they can get samples for free from the different company reps that visit.

Then you can use your budget for anything else that is required.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#113168 - 11/21/07 10:29 AM Re: Boy Scout Troop FAK [Re: Raspy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Oxygen I'd try to avoid, personally. The tank is only $70, but the darn regulator probably runs $100+. Technically there are laws about securing it during transport. It's too heavy to carry for long distances. I work at a stadium sometimes, and we've only just gotten O2 to our foot teams this year; they're the C size, and have enough air for maybe 15 minutes. The D tanks probably could run from 20-60 minutes depending on the flow rate. OK, if you're car camping, but forget it for a backpack trip. Lastly, you need a physician to order O2, which shouldn't be a problem.

Something probably better would be a compressor, like you see the old folks that smoke-like-a-chimney carrying at the mall. Pricier too though.

#113195 - 11/21/07 08:04 PM Re: Boy Scout Troop FAK [Re: MDinana]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Here are the things that I am going to get off of red flare.

Forceps
neosporin
prep pads
4x4 gauze
tri bandage
ace bandage
burn gel
tape
insect relief
ibprofin
tylonal
electrolyte
bio hazard
imodium
benadryl
sam splint
cold pack

basically all of the meds. How much of each thing do you think i shoud get? My current list already has me spending $60 on all of these things. I think that I am getting too much of some of the things ): Any help helps.

-JAce

Oh yeah, I might see if I can get a prescription for an epi-pen, If so I would keep it in a pelican case in one of the coolers (I got this advice from one of the docs I consulted). I have never seen an epi-pen but do you think that this case would fit one? I think it is 6 inches long?

-Jace

Edited by climberslacker (11/21/07 08:13 PM)

Have you seen the arrow?

#113242 - 11/22/07 06:22 AM Re: Boy Scout Troop FAK [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Jace, two questions:

Does your troop require everyone to carry their own FAK. (Not do you, but does everyone else?)

What are they required to carry?

That will determine the quantities you need of the simple stuff.

I'll try to ask my brother if he remembers what he had when he was the medic for his troop.

EDIT: If you epipen is 6" long, it will fit in the Pelican 1030- the dimensions on their website are either internal only or they specify internal and external.

Edited by ironraven (11/22/07 06:23 AM)
Edit Reason: forgot about Pelican question

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113255 - 11/22/07 03:15 PM Re: Boy Scout Troop FAK [Re: ironraven]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

They are supposed to but out of maybe 30 about 3 or 4 do, this includes me, my brother (whom I force to) and MAYBE 2 or 3 other scouts. Btw, Since I plan on buying some of my stuff from Red flare, I am going to take advantage of the sale.

-JAce

Have you seen the arrow?

#113310 - 11/23/07 03:44 AM Re: Boy Scout Troop FAK [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Well, I spoke with my brother.

His bag was pretty basic- lots of 2x2s, 4x4s, some 5x9s and trauma dressings, 2 and 4" Kling, cravats, a variety of band aids (all cloth, all latex free), lots of nitriles, two SAMs, a couple of ACEs, a variety of tape, and webbing for splinting. BP cuff, stethoscope, hypothermia thermometer (all three of those were his), tick tweezers and forceps, ice packs, at least one sleeping bag with two mylar survival bags (one as a cover, one as a liner) and some body warmers in the group for any hike in all but the hottest weather. Lots of nitrils, pocket mask. Dental emergency kit, and some very unofficial meds (tylenol, immodium, benedryl, electrolyte solution). There was some stuff he couldn't remember. I remember that it filled the radio pocket of an ALICE pack pretty much completely.

As a disclaimer, his Troop had an attached EMS/Fire Explorer Post with it. There was a lot of training he and his group had that I wouldn't expect to find in a normal Troop.

Everyone had a basic FAK (3 packs of 4x4s, moleskin, band aids, tape, cravat, 4" roller, a pair of gloves, and medical data form) and if it wasn't in their shake down, they could go home. They'd do the same thing if you had bad footware, no rain gear, or none of the basic 10 items. You didn't have to be in uniform, but you did have to be ready.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113327 - 11/23/07 02:43 PM Re: Boy Scout Troop FAK [Re: ironraven]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Well, I spoke with my brother.

Everyone had a basic FAK (3 packs of 4x4s, moleskin, band aids, tape, cravat, 4" roller, a pair of gloves, and medical data form) and if it wasn't in their shake down, they could go home. They'd do the same thing if you had bad footwear, no rain gear, or none of the basic 10 items. You didn't have to be in uniform, but you did have to be ready.

Our leaders (me and my friends) Are trying to do that. Oh and by the way, im a life scout. But we made a joke after being yelled at my our sm that "we need to implement a PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. society" So I'll probly bring this up at the next plc.

Have you seen the arrow?

#113395 - 11/24/07 04:01 AM Re: Boy Scout Troop FAK [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

No need to be PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER., just use a meritocracy. "You must have this much of a clue to ride this ride." :P

Of course, you also have to set up a pool for any members of the troop who are really poor. And not just the abandoned gear locker. I donated several times to that Troops' charity locker.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.