Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#113127 - 11/21/07 01:07 AM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: TheSock]
NIM Offline

Let's ignore the reasons for leaving and work with a pack for longterm survival.

What are your thoughts Sock?

-NIM

#113130 - 11/21/07 01:09 AM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
NIM Offline

Thanks for the links AM Fear Liath Mor.

-NIM

#113132 - 11/21/07 01:35 AM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: NIM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The Nanuvat were a mostly coastal people, as I recall.

And planning for the one "chance in hell" is a good place to start, but you can probably do better. Let's work on the one in a million odds. smile

Sorry if I was sounding [censored], it wasn't my intent.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113133 - 11/21/07 01:35 AM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
NIM Offline

Thanks for the links AM Fear Liath Mor. Nasty broadhead!

-NIM

#113135 - 11/21/07 01:43 AM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: TheSock]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Bioweapons do work.

I'd invite you to research Unit 731 of the Imperial Japanese Army. They used anthrax, plague and typhoid with frightening efficiency in parts of China during WWII. Estimates are 250K civilian fatalities just during TESTING. They buried literally tons of material in China and Korea before leaving; the strains of plague that were developed are still roaming around parts of Asia Major and being a problem today.

Dispersal systems are easy enough. Do you know how a flameless tear gas grenade works- same principles apply. The Japanese built and stocked ceramic canisters that could be released by artillery, aircraft or balloon, that would carry bubonic infected fleas and blood meal. Put a few black powder charges on the outside and mount an pressure altimeter if you want to air burst, otherwise just let if break on impact. Testing in hyperbaric chambers indicated that if you sent the fleas on a trans-Pacific flight under a balloon, then detonated them, 70% of them would get to the ground alive. They had plans to deploy them on the trade winds, but also by submarine launched balloons, and by sea plane launched from submarines. For anthrax, they used the same systems, just packed with spores wrapped in leather and laced with a nutrient broth. The only one that 731 couldn't really deploy other than by saboteurs was typhoid, although they had packed cannisters with it with the intent of targeting water supplies.

The trick is not killing yourself in the process of making them, and your delivery system, same as chemical weapons. And the Japanese were able to do it in the late 1930s and early 1940s, using hand made delivery systems. The only reason they didn't use them is.... Luck. Blind, pure, random luck is the only reason why the Allies had to dispose of this material, rather than having it used on us.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113171 - 11/21/07 11:28 AM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: Blast]
NIM Offline

Hi Blast,

I've got that covered. I've thrown the mosquitoes a loop and I've gone nuts preemptively.

The problem I've run into is that it would be a waste of weight to bring bug dope (as it would quickly run out). I've tried most of the natural (as in 'found growing') repellents and they seem to be just seasoning.

I've only found two things that work (and 1 requires more testing). The first is the solar powered electronic mosquito repellent from Badlands. It cuts down the bites somewhere from 75-95% (testing needs to determine this figure more accurately). This is the only electronic device I've seen work. I used to try every new device that came out until I gave up. I had to hear from 3 different sources that this thing worked before I bought it this year.

The only natural solution (that I've found to work) is to cover yourself in mud. I'd suggest leaving your back bare to give the mosquitoes a target though. If you don't leave your back clear they go after your eyes/inside your nose. In my shelters at night (primitive) I smoke them out prior to going to bed. I HATE it when a lone mosquito buzzes my ear all night.

I'm trying to get used to accepting the bugs rather than fleeing from them. It is a slow processes. I know some tree planters who 'lost it' and sang "I'm a little teapot" while standing on a stump because of the bugs. A point of note: of all the tree planters I've talked to none have made a point of complaining about the bugs (unless asked). Why? I don't know. Maybe it is like birthing pain and it is forgotten smile

-NIM

#114258 - 11/30/07 03:49 PM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: NIM]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

I see 3 pages of replies and no one has yet mentioned... SEEDS!!!

Now, you wouldn't normally pack seeds in a survival kit, but we're talking about a 10 year survival situation here. No need for the last 9 years to be as rough as the first year. Start a garden! And don't get any fancy hybrids. They will not breed true. You need heirlooms. They will provide you with fresh seeds, equal to the parent plants, each year.

http://www.heirloomseeds.com

#114295 - 11/30/07 07:15 PM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: NIM]
LED Offline
Veteran

Just found this thread. Call me crazy but one of the first things that comes to mind when discussing 1+ years in the wild is how you'd handle dental/medical issues. Better have a hell of a lot of floss or else you're in for some real problems. Seriously though, just focusing on the dental issue could be a humbling affair.

#114305 - 11/30/07 09:25 PM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
NIM Offline

LED: You're right. There is a toothbrush that will last for years, but once it is done I'll be chewing on soft sticks (and removing splinters smile The dental floss doesn't shred so it can be reused (after boiling) there is enough in the pack to last 3 years even without reuse. If I did run out I have already discovered that sinew makes a darn good substitute. I have a few caches with extra brushes and ..CRAP I didn't put floss in them. GRRRRR Oversite detected! I'll have to add that to the next ones. No way I'm digging them up! Tooth surgery will be limited to wiggling it back and forth until it can be removed.

CityBoyGoneCountry: I do have some canned non-hybrid seeds that will grow in this area. This issue I forsee is that the soil and growing season isn't great, crops are possible to hide, but if we're nomadic anyway for protection we will not be able to rely on the crops. I'll consider that one. A stock of seeds might provide options, especially if they don't need human help to continue. (Cringes imagining a new invasive species....at least it would be edible for humans)

Good ideas guys!

-NIM

#114307 - 11/30/07 09:34 PM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: NIM]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I can't even comprehend living 10 years out of the back of a backpack. Now that being said if you have 10,000 bucks worth of training then it's possible you know how to make a palatial log estate with a small axe and given time you'll and your friends will have a full plantation running in no time.

Our ancestors did it...it can still technically be done. Very few people have the same know how that existed then...or the same motivation.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.