The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#112894 - 11/19/07 02:05 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: DOGSOFWAR]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Well. Actually, the absolute solution do exists in the nature - WOMD. 10oz of proper CW, for example, will do the job perfectly and permanently cleaning up everything with brains within 100ft radius around you in less than 30 sec after you stop and put on your special mask. But, you know...

Edited by Alex (11/19/07 02:07 AM)

#112896 - 11/19/07 02:08 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DOGSOFWAR Offline
Stranger

YUP!

Back in the early 90's I had words with a couple of stupid asses on Ninja motorcycles who were hot dogging in traffic, doing wheelies, and weaving in and out of cars at high speeds. They were causing havoc. Finally at a traffic light, they had to stop. Then they proceeded to burn out the rear tires causing huge clouds of smoke while stopped.

I drove onto the medium strip, slammed my car into park, and assailed them with a barage of profanity. I told them exactly what every driver around thought of their horsesh-t to the letter.

I got in my car, and then waited for traffic to clear the enter section, and proceeded to drive on.

Well, those two jerks went and got two more friends on bikes nearby, and ran after me some blocks away. As I got onto the expressway, here comes four screaming motorcycles. They dogged my rear, swept along side and gave me the finger and the up yours hand sign. I returned the favors.
Now we are going about 75 mph. They kept up the high speed dogging my rear, and I sped up. WE're going 85, and they are right on my rear. So I hit the brakes! Hard!
My Buick Riveria locked up and hopped in protest...Two of the bikers shot off to sides and went down in the grass and weeds, in a cloud of dust,gravel and debris..
Their buddies slowed down momentarly,....then pursued me hotter than ever..

I am doing 85 or better...here they come...
So I look at my gas gauge.. it reads nearly full.
I said to myself, " OK, A--holes, lets see what you can do at 90 mph or better, and I got a full tank of gas, so get ready for a long. long , long chase. It was August and the outside temp was in the high 90's. My car was air conditioned.

They chased me for about 50 miles, then the heat,distance, speed
took its' toll on them...just as I knew it would. I saw them give it up as they gave me the finger in defiance.

They knew I'd slam into them if they dared to try to pull along side or in front of me...I was lucky none of those young punks had guns... because at that time, I didn't have any firepower either. It was obvious that they were inexperienced bikers, because you are not going to do much on a bike doing 90 or better. At those speeds, it is all you can do just to keep the thing under control.

I do not know how badly the two guys who wiped out ended up being. I figure they hit the dirt doing about 45 or so, thus, I imagine they ended up with badly damaged bikes and severe wounds of gravel rash...quite frankly I didn't care!

#112897 - 11/19/07 02:12 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: Alex]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
"Well. Actually, the 100% solution do exists in the nature - WOMD. 10oz of proper CW, for example, will do the job perfectly and permanently cleaning up everything with brains within 100ft radius around you in less than 30 sec after you stop and put on your special mask. But, you know..."

Yea but that gets in to the legal thing again, and I did say nothing I can think of would be legal. I can think of all kinds of things and a lot of them gring big grins to my face and few even make me let out an evil type chuckle but I'm kinda warped like that.

#112899 - 11/19/07 02:23 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: DOGSOFWAR]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: DOGSOFWAR
It was obvious that they were inexperienced bikers, because you are not going to do much on a bike doing 90 or better. At those speeds, it is all you can do just to keep the thing under control.

A motorcycle at that speed is one of the most stable things on the road...people make bikes unsafe...the people behind the bars and the people in cars...as a motorcycle rider training instructor your story just makes me sad.

#112909 - 11/19/07 03:13 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: ]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The first thing any driver should do is become aware of his/her surroundings. People get inside the insulated wombs we once called cars and between climate control, tinted windows, cellphones and a CD blasting away proceed to more or less point themselves in the general direction and expect the world, God and pigeons to all watch out for them and for them. I was on my local freeway with no traffic. A motorcycle came up the onramp and I merged into the #2 lane and sped up slightly. He roared past me giving the finger. I returned in kind. He followed me off the freeway yelling and into my gated apartment complex motioning inside his vest as if to produce a gun. O.K. people, I was driving a 1986 Volvo 240 wagon with a feature Harley Davidsons lack- reverse gear. That legendary model had a lot of heavy guage sandvik steel Mora didn't buy between me and the tailgate. He was a sadly typical mid life crisis male with the obligatory black MIA-POW T shirt, atrophied finger ring joint with untanned strip and not a fewv issues. They weren't mine, or Old Bald Guy's peers when they arrested him.

#112921 - 11/19/07 04:23 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A wealthy woman I knew had two young sons, and she was always worried about them getting kidnapped. She drove them everywhere... in a brand-new honking big Cadillac SUV.

ADVERTISE THAT YOU CAN PAY OFF, LADY!

OTOH, I drive my 1985 Chev Cavalier with the faded paint job (sometimes with moss growing on it), the dent in the driver's door, and little sprigs of the remains of the rotted headliner dangling from the top of the rear window.

Practically invisible.

Sue

#112929 - 11/19/07 05:23 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: DOGSOFWAR]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I think this discussion borders on TEOTWAWKI.

Protecting yourself from someone attacking you in a vehicle is just being aware of your surroundings, and most importantly: Knowing how your maximize the power your vehicle has(we will refer to this as your 1 TON Weapon). Most people routinely accelerate "mildly" and hover very close to the speed limit. Most people will not know how their vehicle accelerates, brakes (and how quickly their pads/shoes will become ineffective) or corners. Do you?

There are at least 2 places in the U.S. you can get defensive driving. They also provide training on "protective driving", as though you are the driver of a vehicle containing a V.I.P. you need to protect from harm. These courses are expensive to discourage just anyone from attending.

Oh and back to your example, this is a situation where you are clearly outnumbered. The only way to survive this is with greater firepower and training. Me, I'm going to assume I'm going to be dead. If I'm going to die, I'm going to try and take a few with me. Not quite sure what I would do if I had a loved one with me.

#112931 - 11/19/07 05:30 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: ki4buc]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
If you're really worried about it than your best defense is an armoured SUV from Streit or one of the many other companies that produce them. They're very popular oversees for people who might be exposed to those situations. However, they aren't cheap at all. They do work though.

#112932 - 11/19/07 07:15 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: Paul810]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
Nighthiker mentions a couple of reasons why someone would want to attack you, but why egg it on? If someone starts yelling at you on the road: monitor and take note, but don't make a bad situation worse! Who knows? Maybe, you did place a motorcycle rider at risk (automobiles and motorcycles have different margins of safety).

#112938 - 11/19/07 11:41 AM Re: Vehicle defenses [Re: DOGSOFWAR]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
Once a friend and I were riding home late at night on my 250cc Honda enduro, which is a little bike that isn't made for two large adult males. We were drunk and laughing our arses off "getting home", and suddenly a carful of Yakuza wannabee japanese kids were coming up on us and honking wildly and passing and cutting us off because my poor little bike was having a hard time getting up the steep hill we were climbing. They were yelling incomprehensible utterances at us to get off the road or something and my friend responded in kind. This angered them immensely. Midway up the hill, in the left turn lane at the stoplight, with their car in front of us on my bike, my friend, drunk as hell and not one to look past a yelling match continued exchanging shouts with the gangsters.
Well, it took about 5 seconds before they jumped out, there were at least three of them, and they were all small guys, but they removed baseball bats and such from the trunk of their car and stood in the ready to kill posture and were silent. My friend still didn't back down with his verbal assault, and I'm thinking that it is only a matter of time (seconds actually) before a gun is produced or one of them calls my friend's bluff and cracks his drunken skull, so I'm thinking, "if you don't quit taunting them we're about to be murdered." I'm trying to shut him up and its not working, so I go to who I sense to be the "leader". He was the largest (not by much though) and was not armed with a handweapon, so I assumed he had "the gun", and I thought I'd better try to "make friends". It became obvious that these guys were actually from Japan, as he didn't speak English, and was overjoyed when I handed him a Coke I had in my jacket pocket. I apologized for my friend's drunken behavior, and the situation quickly dissolved with them getting back in their car and driving away, and us continuing "getting home" all the while arguing loudly over the wind in our faces whether or not we were in any real danger. My friend sure can be an arse sometimes.
As luck would have it, not 100 yards down the road, we got pulled over by a policecar, but that is an entirely different, albeit just as interesting, story.

Edited by TQS (11/19/07 11:52 AM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.