Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#112885 - 11/19/07 01:27 AM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini revie [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Last week I ordered a BCB Integral Survival Unit from Best Glide plus the lid, pot hanger, and carrying bag...should be here this week.
http://www.bestglide.com/integral_survival_unit_info.html

It's designed to work with solid fuel tabs or cans of gelled alcohol. I hope my Triad stove fits...should be the perfect combo. Plus it will let me retire some of my other gear, saving space in my pack.

Might be worth another test with some proper Esbit fuel once it does get here.

#112895 - 11/19/07 02:06 AM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini revie [Re: ]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Let me know if a US canteen will fit in the cooking unit please, the amount they want for the water bottle is rediculous.

#112898 - 11/19/07 02:15 AM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini revie [Re: raydarkhorse]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That's a good question. The canteen isn't what goes into the cooker, the cup is...but they're a similar size and shape so it's possible.

The price and availability of surplus around here has gone to crap since the latest war in the middle east. Ordering from the states has been the best way to go...especially with the Canadian dollar doing so well. And since I was ordering stuff from them anyhow, I got the whole gamut as it's cheaper packaged.

#112906 - 11/19/07 03:06 AM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The difficulty is that you are comparing a bicycle to a moped. Neither is optimal, but they don't fill quite the same role either.

To get the Hexi lit, scrap some of it into powder on the top of the block. I've never seen that in any directions or manuals, but it makes it so much easier to light them- just throwing sparks at a fuel tab is like trying to light a full size log on fire by holding a match under it. Keep in mind that triox and hexi/esbit are NOT designed to boil water, just heat it to the point where you can make tea/coffee with it, or heat a C-ration so it isn't cold, just nastily lukewarm.

The problem with alcohol stoves is very simple: they don't like cold. I was was testing some add-ons that I've been toying with to try to get them winter ready, and my trangias just sat there and pouted. It was right around freezing. Ethanol just doesn't have a low enough vaporization temperature for it to be any good in winter.

To have either of them be anything more than a bad joke, you need windscreens.

Best bet- carry the Vargo, with fuel, AND carry fuel tabs.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#112911 - 11/19/07 03:21 AM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I was looking up the specs on the Vargo and noticed the new XE which can burn alcohol or solid tabs...too bad they didn't have those at the MEC when I bought mine.

I've definitely heard about the shortcomings of alcohol in the cold. Now that I'm getting the canteen cooker from Best Glide I should pick up some proper Hexamine tabs and cover all bases.

Ironically I usually just light a fire and cook over the coals when I'm camping or hiking...but sometimes you don't have that option.

#112912 - 11/19/07 03:23 AM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: ]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Where is the best place to pick up good Hexamine?

#112913 - 11/19/07 03:44 AM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the information Am_Fear_Liath_Mor about British Military Hexamine stoves, I do not know if the Canadian Armed Forces supplies anything like this?

Mike

#112952 - 11/19/07 03:39 PM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: SwampDonkey]
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Hacksaw:

You can carry a 3-inch wide strip of aluminum flashing, rolled up inside your GSI cup for a windscreen.

Here's the best commercially-available alcohol stove rig I've ever found.

http://www.clikstand.com/home.htm

I've never had much luck with the Vargo stoves. They burn unevenly and don't seem very efficient to me. I recenly read that they were designed for ethanol only, which may explain why my experiments with methane were so lackluster. Personally, I still wouldn't rely on a Vargo stove.

Bear

#112957 - 11/19/07 04:28 PM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: dchinell]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I like the look of that Clickstand.

Tonight I'm going to experment and make some Pepsi can and Redbull can stoves to compare to the Vargo just in case the Vargo won't work with the canteen cup cooker.

#113386 - 11/24/07 03:25 AM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Well laziness got the better of me and I never did make the Pepsi stove.

I did however just do an outdoor test with the Triad. It's about 30 degrees (just below 0 C) and I did the same test with the exception of adding a wind screen as it's a bit breezy tonight. The water boiled in about 15 minutes though it never boiled as hard as it did inside. The stove petered out after 19 minutes.

I had no trouble lighting the stove and it primed just fine without the wind screen. With a lid on the cup, performance would have been much better.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 298 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
36 minutes 16 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.