Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#112756 - 11/17/07 03:42 PM Re: Man walks 10 hours across Arctic tundra while [Re: Shadow_oo00]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
We all do things wrong from time to time and make big mistakes, the ability to survive our mistakes and those of others is why people like this old man and hopefully those of us here survive.

#112758 - 11/17/07 05:15 PM Re: Man walks 10 hours across Arctic tundra while [Re: raydarkhorse]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Great story....good for him!!

#112760 - 11/17/07 05:30 PM Re: Man walks 10 hours across Arctic tundra while [Re: ]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
My mistake, in my haste to post a reply I failed to catch that.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#112762 - 11/17/07 05:36 PM Re: Man walks 10 hours across Arctic tundra while fami [Re: ]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
Ahh, age-shmage! 63 ain't that old. Give him twenty more years and then say his age might have worked against him. Those Inuit guys eat lots of fish, one of the most nutrient dense foods.
If you live a healthy lifestyle, you don't get "old" until you're almost 100. Only smokers, alcoholics, unhealthy eaters and couch-potatoes get old in their sixties. Age is relative.
If people really wanted to live to be 120, they could. A few have, maybe because they didn't listen to society telling them that people don't live that long.
Sixty should be thought of by mainstream society as "just over the hump"! People just have to wake up to the reality that we are not living anywhere near the healthy lifestyles that we could be living.
Think about it. If every time you thought about MacDonald's you instead ate a salad of green leafy vegetables topped with tomatoes and broccoli garnished with a little crushed garlic topped with extra-virgin olive oil flavored with a few drops of balsamic vinegar, and if every time you thought you'd spend a few hours in front of the idiot-box you instead took a five-mile walk in the woods, and if every time you thought about smoking a cigarette you instead did twenty-five push-ups followed by a cool glass of water with a lemon wedge in it, and if every time you thought about getting drunk you instead read a book while sipping a cup of green tea, and if every time you were about to give in to anger and curse or yell you instead breathed deep and reflected on how silly life can often be,...

#112767 - 11/17/07 06:34 PM Re: Man walks 10 hours across Arctic tundra while [Re: TQS]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: TQS
Ahh, age-shmage! 63 ain't that old. Give him twenty more years and then say his age might have worked against him. Those Inuit guys eat lots of fish, one of the most nutrient dense foods.
If you live a healthy lifestyle, you don't get "old" until you're almost 100. Only smokers, alcoholics, unhealthy eaters and couch-potatoes get old in their sixties. Age is relative.
If people really wanted to live to be 120, they could. A few have, maybe because they didn't listen to society telling them that people don't live that long.
Sixty should be thought of by mainstream society as "just over the hump"! People just have to wake up to the reality that we are not living anywhere near the healthy lifestyles that we could be living.

Looking forward to your follow-up post in 25-30 years to see how you are getting along...

#112769 - 11/17/07 07:36 PM Re: Man walks 10 hours across Arctic tundra while [Re: ]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Imagine that, another topic heading off into left field.....lol

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#112770 - 11/17/07 08:35 PM Re: Man walks 10 hours across Arctic tundra while fami [Re: TQS]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
smile I am what I am.

#112785 - 11/18/07 02:14 AM Re: Man walks 10 hours across Arctic tundra while fami [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the big deal about walking for 10 hours?"

You're joking, right?

He was 200 miles NORTH of the Arctic Circle!

He was walking through snow and ice, with nothing to stop the wind. Minus-36 degrees below zero.

He knew where he was going and nearly got there, in an area that is one of the least populated in the world.

And he knew how to tell rescuers where to find his family.

Sue

#112795 - 11/18/07 04:09 AM Re: Man walks 10 hours across Arctic tundra while fami [Re: Susan]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The man did have navigational aid. When you live in an environment, you build up a mental map of features never plotted on a USGS topo.

#112826 - 11/18/07 04:29 PM Re: Man walks 10 hours across Arctic tundra while [Re: Shadow_oo00]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
Imagine that, another topic heading off into left field.....lol

Sometimes veering off a little to the right or to the left is much more interesting than piling up behind those who have nothing better to say than "Me too,...baahhh...baahhh...Look at me, I'm a baseball playin' sheople." An original negster, informed once again that it is alright to let go of the handrail from time to time, and that most people don't find it all that scary. BooOO.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.