Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112680 - 11/16/07 04:11 PM Subungual Hematoma ........ OUCH!
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey,

Late last night I got out of bed to let the cat in the house and in my dozey state managed to slam my thumb in the patio door! This was followed immediately by lots of swearing, bumping into furniture and being told to "be quiet" by my now awake DW.

So now I have a pocket of blood (subungual hematoma) under my nail and it has been throbbing all day. I did some investigating on an internet medical site and because this time the injure is not that large (< 25% of the nail area) I am just going to treat it at home with ice, elevation and ibuprofen.

In the past I have really whacked my nail bad (e.g. hammer) and used different techniques to relieve the pressure. I even went to the hospital for this problem once and this is where I learned the "heat the straightened paperclip over a lighter to burn through the nail trick".

Everyone on the forum should have a similar story or treatment method to share?

Thanks,

Mike

#112682 - 11/16/07 04:24 PM Re: Subungual Hematoma ........ OUCH! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Late last night I got out of bed to let the cat in the house and in my dozey state managed to slam my thumb in the patio door!

Hmmm, a cat-based accident story? Nope, can't think of any... whistle

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#112684 - 11/16/07 04:54 PM Re: Subungual Hematoma ........ OUCH! [Re: SwampDonkey]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Unlike Blast I uhmmm mean like Blast no cat stories but I have drilled and/or used the heated paperclip on every one of my fingernails at least once. Note don't use these tricks on the pinky unless there is no choice it hurtssssssssssss!

Edited by raydarkhorse (11/16/07 04:55 PM)

#112694 - 11/16/07 06:47 PM Re: Subungual Hematoma ........ OUCH! [Re: raydarkhorse]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
My dad lost both his big toe nails after hiking Mt. Rainier because he had worked a blister under each one on the way down and didn't do anything about it.

Had to drill a friends big toe nail for the same reason on a hike once. One word of warning, when you go to poke the hole, make sure you are wearing eye protection and/or aren't in the line of fire of the liquid geyser,

Blechhhh!!!!

#112706 - 11/16/07 10:58 PM Re: Subungual Hematoma ........ OUCH! [Re: benjammin]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I managed to get an infection in my toe a few months back - lost the whole toe nail - it's about 2/3rds grown back now
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#112714 - 11/17/07 12:42 AM Re: Subungual Hematoma ........ OUCH! [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have drilled more than one blackened nail with a penknife blade (the blade has been sharpened sooo much, first by my dad a jillion years ago, more by me, that it has a straight cutting edge and a needle point). As long as you don't put too much down pressure while twisting you are OK. The relief when you break thru is soooo sweet...

#112720 - 11/17/07 01:15 AM Re: Subungual Hematoma ........ OUCH! [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
How would or could anyone THINK that a pretty, soft, cuddly, kitty cat could ever cause injury to a hu-mon???

I just don't understand.....

#112721 - 11/17/07 01:35 AM Re: Subungual Hematoma ........ OUCH! [Re: SwampDonkey]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Back in high school, summer job working for my cousin's construction firm, dropped a plank on my thumb. Hurt like crazy, started swelling, and my cousin offered to take care of it for me. I said no way...until about a half hour, 40 minutes later it hurt so bad I said go ahead. He took a propane torch, heated the paper clip, and started to melt his way through the nail. Took three or four heatings to get all the way through, and hurt while he was doing it, but once it got through the nail, the release of pressure was instant and it was like all the pain disappeared. (OK, it hurt a bit still, but nothing like the heartbeat by heartbeat throb it had earlier).

And Benjammin's right - it does make a splash.

Dave

#112722 - 11/17/07 02:56 AM Re: Subungual Hematoma ........ OUCH! [Re: DaveT]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey,

I am a pretty easy going guy, I get along with everybody, almost. About 20 years ago I was assigned to cruise timber in the winter with a guy I just could not stand; he just would not follow common sense rules and procedures even if they were for our own safety or the law.

We carried a homebuilt wooden snowmobile ramp in the back of our pick-up truck but we had the problem of the entire ramp and deck sliding out of the truck when going up steep hills. We decided to nail some short pieces of 2x4 to the sides of the deck in front of the truck wheel wells to keep the unit from sliding backward. Picture the two of us standing at the side of the truck holding one side of the entire ramp up above the rear fender of the truck. So I say to my partner, "You got it"(?), because I am going to let go and hammer the board on. He replies with "I could hold this all day if I had to", then almost immediately he drops the unit on my hand! I am hopping around sticking my bleeding/blackening thumb into the snow and he is laughing his head off. I disliked the man before, now I wanted to do him serious harm. My coworkers in the office wanted to burn through my throbbing thumbnail with a heated paperclip but I would not let them; I went to the emergency room of the hospital instead, where they burnt through my thumbnail with a heated paperclip, blood hit the ceiling!

Before I could return the favour to my "partner" he got fired for refusing to follow everyday safety rules, like stopping for stop signs while driving the employers vehicle.

My sore thumb today brings back old memories, I wonder if I could find him?

Mike

#112733 - 11/17/07 03:46 AM Re: Subungual Hematoma ........ OUCH! [Re: SwampDonkey]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
yes, u can but i'm not going to tell you how because you'd look terrible in black & white prison stripes!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.