Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#11273 - 12/13/02 08:15 PM Clothing Question -- Outerwear
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm going to China in February nad am told to anticipate that the weather will be much as it is in the upper midwest. I think it's a good idea to buy some better winterwear because it is likely to be primitive where we could end up.

I wanted to invest in something like a Columbia Titanium combo jacket with thermal inner coat and wind/weather resistant shell with concealed hood. The price is about $299 which isn't so bad, but with that brand, patagonia and some others I wonder how much I would be spending for the name alone.
I also wonder how well the thermal properties of these coats work. they don't seam to have much loft so I wonder if they depend on an active user to generate some heat to keep inside.

I'm most afraid of being stuck at remote bus or train stops, or even airports where I'll be doing a lot of standing or sitting around.

I'm OK spending the cash, I figure for this trip my waerable shelter is a good investment. I also know that with so much coal heat and air pollution my clothes (and lungs) will be somewhat damaged by the time we get back. I'll be gone 2-3 weeks.

Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Adam

#11274 - 12/13/02 08:37 PM Re: Clothing Question -- Outerwear
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Try not to wear closhing with's looks expensive in china. The ritcher you look the more thiefs you attract. Thiefs there don't really care about there victums, they even stole my mum's purse from a hospital !

#11275 - 12/13/02 08:44 PM Re: Clothing Question -- Outerwear
Anonymous
Unregistered

This clothing is some or the best you can get but it's a bit pricey though. My friend has the hooded sweatshirt and it is awesome. This stuff is made of wool or OMNITHERM and OMNILIGHT some dirt and stains won't matter. It's guaranteed with something like even if the damage is your fault they will replace it. Even though it's expensive I think it's worth it.
http://www.ruth-ann.bravepages.com/king/king.htm
And these clothes don't look expensive even thought they are.

Frank

#11276 - 12/13/02 10:08 PM Re: Clothing Question -- Outerwear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please, for a $317 hooded sweatshirt?!? Quality is one thing, a ripoff is another.

"Best you can buy" - maybe/doubtful.

"Most expensive you can buy" - certainly!

#11277 - 12/13/02 10:23 PM Re: Clothing Question -- Outerwear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Blkjeep:
"Most expensive you can buy" - maybe/doughtful
but
"Quality" - Absolutely

"doubtful" - How can you say that about something when you never tried it.

This stuff is close to the best if not the best. Unless your going to use this stuff there is no point in having something if you're going to use once and throw in a closet.
So you spend $317 on a sweat shirt the thing with last a life time, and even if it doesn't the company will give you a new one.
It's a perfectly fine price for what your getting!
So fine buy something cheaper that will eventually wear out, or spend the money and buy the stuff thats going to last.

Frank
P.S.
And paying $345 for a Sebenza (which is a great knife) isn't a ripoff?!?!
("Quality is one thing, a ripoff is another.")

#11278 - 12/13/02 10:57 PM Re: Clothing Question -- Outerwear
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have seen quality knives (that HAVE been used) passed down from generation to generation. I have NOT seen a sweatshirt survive such usage.

If you want a $317 sweatshirt, more power to you. I just feel that there are dozens of competitors, of extremely high quality, with just as good warranties, that sell for 1/5th the price, AT MAX. And that's what "I" will "settle" for.

Everyone has the right to make their own decisions and conclusions. At any level of quality, my "personal" opinion is that $317 for a sweatshirt is unreasonable. Maybe I'm just a cheapo or something.

#11279 - 12/14/02 01:36 AM Re: Clothing Question -- Outerwear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Blkjeep,
I agree, but I still think that clothing is of very good quality and it may be a bit over priced. Anyway who are some of those competitors? I would like to check out their clothing.

Frank

#11280 - 12/14/02 03:18 AM Re: Clothing Question -- Outerwear
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Take some time to review the information @ www.wiggys.com regarding insulation.

#11281 - 12/14/02 06:07 AM Re: Clothing Question -- Outerwear
Anonymous
Unregistered

I spent four weeks in Guizhou province about ten years ago in "non=tourist" areas (we were caving) and I remember preferring a cold room to one with coal heating because of the pollution problem. But I did fine with "ordinary" warm clothing. If I were outfitting right now, I would check Sierra Trading Post and other specials to get a good deal, and think a lot about how I would use the clothing post-China.

You should have a great trip. Really neat country, but very different.

My lungs survived just fine.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.