Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#112708 - 11/16/07 11:28 PM Re: Q about glue [Re: SwampDonkey]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey

I recently split the sole of my Danner boot and plan on using Shoegoo to try and repair it. The 3 " split is right across the ball of the sole so if it can patch this then it can patch any shoe.

so the crack runs side to side at the bending part of the sole?

does the sole flex there? some do - some are so rigid they don't.

i'm not sure anything short of a new sole would repair it if it constantly flexes there. if it's rigid i think you have a chance..

good luck.

#112718 - 11/17/07 12:49 AM Re: Q about glue [Re: bsmith]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

I agree with Schwert.

Barge is what I use when it has to stick. I bought mine from the Local saddle maker, It is the only glue that he uses.

#112725 - 11/17/07 03:09 AM Re: Q about glue [Re: bsmith]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi bsmith,

The boots are Danner Striker GTX, they are very light and comfortable but the sole is molded onto the upper and is not replaceable (the warranty is also long over). I split the sole across the ball of the foot where it flexes most, it will be a near impossible repair but I think it will be an excellent test of Shoegoo.

I now wear Danner boots with stichdown soles that can be repaired, they are heavier and more expensive but excellent boots overall.

I will post how the repair works out.

Mike

#112749 - 11/17/07 01:56 PM Re: Q about glue [Re: SwampDonkey]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
hi mike,

the boss says use barge.

incredibly strong, incredibly flexible, and the other guys are right - it's the stuff to use.

it's what shoemakers use - and they should know.

bummer about the crack, though.

bsmith

#112798 - 11/18/07 05:26 AM Re: Q about glue [Re: bsmith]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have used both Gorilla Glue and Goop to fix shoes.

The only time I saw the gorilla glue fail was when I failed to properly prepare the mating surfaces. One time I didn't remove the original glue but any way or varnish used during manufacture will also stop a prevent a proper bond.

Usually I scrub the surfaces with a nylon dish scrubber wet with lacquer thinner to remove and coatings. Then I follow with 60 grit sandpaper, a very rough stone in a drill for larger areas and/or scraping with the edge of a knife. Immaculately clean and well roughened leather tend to stay together quite well no matter what glue you use.

Gorilla glue is good, particularly if you dampen the surfaces and clamp the joint. Urethanes harden by absorbing moisture. Goop is also good but sometimes in a couple of years it hardens and pulls off. When I was using silicone caulk at work I would sometimes use the dregs we would otherwise toss to glue up my work boots. Seemed to work well.

Trick is to let any excess or squeeze-out harden and trim off with a razor blade afterward. Same with the gorilla glue.

As long as I well and throughly prepared the mating surfaces. But, like I said, prep the surfaces well and the brand of glue used is far less important.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.