Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#112412 - 11/13/07 11:26 PM feel stress in job require political correct
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Do you feel stress in a job which one has to act political correct all the time? The cumulative stress at the job would give me cardiac arrest.

Would you quit the job?
or stay in the job to beat the odds?

#112430 - 11/14/07 01:10 AM Re: feel stress in job require political correct [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You learn to laugh at the stupid rules (while pretty much obeying them). Worked for me for 30+ years, in a job with no freedom of speach to speak of. If you keep the job and let the stupid rules get to you, you will blow a gasket...

#112435 - 11/14/07 01:56 AM Re: feel stress in job require political correct [Re: picard120]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Stress from being PC -- no, I've never had to be politically correct. We had "sensitivity training", but that wasn't really about being PC, that was about being polite. What do you mean by politically correct?

#112452 - 11/14/07 04:35 AM Re: feel stress in job require political correct [Re: Russ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Never much liked the term "PC". Any more than I like the useless and patronizing term "sheep" or "PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.". Most of what is termed "PC" used to be seen as simple consideration of others and their feelings. It used to be called politeness and kindness and was seen as being a mark of a civilized, well-mannered and considerate person.

For any intelligent person there are adequate oportunities and methods of reporting the unvarnished truth and letting people know how you feel in no uncertain terms without having to resort to raw insults and ugliness.

#112460 - 11/14/07 09:48 AM Re: feel stress in job require political correct [Re: Art_in_FL]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Never much liked the term "PC". Any more than I like the useless and patronizing term "sheep" or "PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.". Most of what is termed "PC" used to be seen as simple consideration of others and their feelings. It used to be called politeness and kindness and was seen as being a mark of a civilized, well-mannered and considerate person.

.snip..

Guess you've never worked at a place where if they find out you are a PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER., you get ragged on by 80% of the employees. They find out you carry a pocket knife, and you get called Rambo

THAT is PC - not the basic politeness of treating people well, but places that WON'T trat YOU well if you have different political/social beliefs than the majority there
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#112467 - 11/14/07 11:54 AM Re: feel stress in job require political correct [Re: KG2V]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
There certainly is a big difference between being polite and being PC.

IMO:

PC means that if you do not adhere/espouse the "correct" view you are a "bad" person, subject to harassment, discipline or outright firing/suspension. It is enforced by the power of the those who know the "right" point of view.

Politeness is a concern for and respect for the differing views of others, and expressing those views in a manner least likely to insult or offend any more than is strictly necessary. Differing views are tolerated and, the hope and belief is that through polite discussion of differing views, something better may emerge. (I know, this all is very old fashioned, but so am I.)

PC is the opposite of politeness. It reflects a totalalitarian/idealogical view of reality.

#112469 - 11/14/07 12:00 PM Re: feel stress in job require political correct [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Alrighty then, having been and around Navy and military types my entire adult life, I've never had to deal with being PC. That type of a job situation would cause me to seek employment elsewhere. I've always been able to carry at a knife and not have people react negatively.

#112473 - 11/14/07 01:01 PM Re: feel stress in job require political correct [Re: bws48]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
#1: OBG is RIGHT!!!

#2: PC and the politicalized atmosphere @ work (District HQ Staff) were some of the road signs that told me when it was time to retire from the USCG!

#3: The cancelling of my retirement, 6 months extention of active duty, in order to attend the Balkens War; reporting overseas w/24hrs notice, after being told by my Detailer that I was no longer considered "Deployable", WAS the proverbial writing on the wall!!

Oh the joy of having combat experience when very few others did!!!

#112556 - 11/15/07 01:12 AM Re: feel stress in job require political correct [Re: picard120]
technician Offline
Stranger

Loc: S Central Kansas
It's one reason I choose not to deal with customers where I work. Most of them are great people, but invariably you get the one who wants to yell at you for no apparent reason.

#112580 - 11/15/07 04:09 AM Re: feel stress in job require political correct [Re: KG2V]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
you get ragged on by 80% of the employees

Remind them that when taxes are lower the IRS actually takes in more money.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 440 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.