The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#86871 - 02/27/07 10:40 PM Re: Knives I own [Re: Themalemutekid]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I sold my Microtech and Strider knives and ronly have three blades in the house now and I really don't need anymore.

My fixed blade is old (14 years) SOG Gov't knife. Simple, plain edge blade that has been with me in many places.

My folder is Buck/Strider Tarani folder. I have it for two years and realized that because it is well made and not horribly expensive I can wear it in places were my "pure breed" Strider couldn't go. When I EDCed my Strider GB I always worried about loosing it. Not anymore. I sold it and that Buck knife is more than enough for my needs.

Last knife is my custom graphic Sebenza. It is more of my fancy, going out nicely dressed knife. It sees use when my suit or tux come out of the darkness.

As far as the wish list goes:

I would hope to replace my SOG with Chris Reeve aviator knife.

#86874 - 02/27/07 11:36 PM Re: Knives I own [Re: gryps]
sicily02 Offline

Well I have a few of them to eek
Take care,
Bryan

#86894 - 02/28/07 02:57 AM Re: Knives I own [Re: Themalemutekid]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

I always carry one of these:

Spyderco Native
Spyderco Delica
Benchmade Mini Grip
Kershaw Scallion

I have the serrated and plain versions of each, depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

I also always carry one of these:
SAK Recruit with homemade African bloodwood scales
SAK alox Soldier
SAK alox Cadet
SAK alox Bantam
SAK Small Tinker

SAK Classic SD
SAK Rambler

Leatherman Fuse
Leatherman Juice S2
Leatherman Squirt P4

I have a bunch of knives and multitools, but these are my current favorites.

Kevin B.

#86943 - 02/28/07 03:58 PM Re: Knives I own [Re: Themalemutekid]
terry13111 Offline

Here is some of mine:

And my fire kit:

#87000 - 03/01/07 02:20 AM Re: Knives I own [Re: Themalemutekid]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The one with the most toys wins.

#108289 - 10/10/07 08:37 PM Re: Knives I own [Re: samhain]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Some of these knives have been retired or relegated to 'backup kits' which I put together for myself to stash for a rainy day. Usually that means I've retired it from daily use but I'm too attached to it to stop using it completely. Some of these are also very cheap. I've had some of them for quite a while...since times when I was lucky to be able to afford anything. I take good care of them and it shows as most of them are as good as when they were new.

Where I work a knife is a weapon and not permitted so I need to get creative/sneaky. My EDC when I'm at work is:
  • Benchmade ERT-1 It's arguably not a knife so I keep it clipped in a pocket. The built in LED light is handy too.
  • Gerber EAB folder (when it's not being recalled). Box cutters are an exception to the rule and it makes a handy money clip.

EDC when I'm NOT at work I carry one or more of these (including at least the EAB from the above list):
  • Kershaw 1630 Cyclone Clipped in a pocket. My usual EDC now.
  • CRKT M16 tanto tip When space and weight are at a premium.
  • Gerber EZ-Out non-serrated My former EDC. I never really liked it because it's a one hand opening knife that I could never open with one hand. I bought it because it was so light...but because of that it's very flimsy.
  • Gerber LST The M16 has replaced it as it's just all around better.
  • Victorinox Cybertool It's never far from me even when not on my belt.
  • Gerber Needlenose Multipliers Sometimes takes the place of the Cybertool.

When camping/hiking/fishing/etc I'll usually have at least a couple of the above around plus one of the following fixed blades on my belt:
  • Gerber Freeman S30V Hunter drop point (new and untested).
  • Gerber LMF II (new and untested).
  • Buck 119 Special
  • Gerber Big Rock Camp knife w/serrations.
  • Mora beltknife (it's an oldie. Not sure the model)

My Wishlist is pretty simple:
  • Grohmann #1
  • Grohmann #4 - Being a Canadian I consider it a must to own at least one of these one day.
  • Tom Brown's Tracker - I'd have one already if they weren't so pricey.

#108302 - 10/10/07 11:00 PM Re: Knives I own [Re: Themalemutekid]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Gene Ingram is a good guy to have on your wish list. His work is really superb and his prices are very very good.

Here are a couple of mine....

Small pocket wharncliffe with aged elk...

and a very recent slipjoint, his large Sodbuster

#108330 - 10/11/07 06:41 AM Re: Knives I own [Re: Schwert]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Geez, I don't even know how many knives I have anymore. Last count was over 200 and that was a while ago. I've been collecting them pretty steadily for about 12 years.

Here's a picture of the display case back at my parents house:

Another of some boxes I have laying around:

Unfortunately most of my knives are back at my parents house, I can't have too many in my apartment or my roommate might think I'm crazy. (Though I'm pretty sure he already does.) whistle

#108342 - 10/11/07 01:35 PM Re: Knives I own [Re: Paul810]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
Geez, I don't even know how many knives I have anymore. Last count was over 200 and that was a while ago. I've been collecting them pretty steadily for about 12 years.

I just have to ask...wich one of the 200 do you EDC? whistle

#108410 - 10/11/07 10:38 PM Re: Knives I own [Re: JIM]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: JIM
Quote:

I just have to ask...wich one of the 200 do you EDC? whistle

Believe it or not, I've kept pretty constant over the years with a Benchmade 705/707. I've carried many different knives, but that's the one I always seem to come back to. For me the size is perfect (big enough to handle most tasks, but not too big to scare people), it fits my hand well, and it's built like a tank.

Other than that one there are a few other favorites I often reach for:

Leatherman Charge Ti (my favorite multi-tool)
Benchmade 310 Benchmite (my favorite dress knife)
Spyderco Native (work knife/beater)
Benchmade 610 Rukus (when I do want to scare people whistle)

You can tell I'm a bit of a Benchmade fan, I think they make awesome knives for the price and after using my 705 for years I know they can take a beating. I also love William Henry knives, but I still can't bring myself to beating up a $400+ knife. Not yet anyway, though I think a Monarch will end up as my dress knife. I absolutely love how they look and feel.

I'm also a bit of a traditionalist, often carrying Queen/Schrade/Buck/Camillus/Case knives or Swiss Army knives. Those I carry for the nostalgia of it, since those were my first knives and they were what my father, grandfather, great grandfather, ect used and carried. Out of those I love Queen's D2 Cocobolo series and Victorinox's Alox handled models (Soldier, Farmer, ect).

Hope that answered your question, I seem to change knives like shirts, but I do have a few constant favorites. I also have a few favorite custom knives, but I don't like carrying what I can't replace. Therefore, some knives I collect as users, others I collect more as art (so I don't use them). The "art" ones I can't really comment on since I don't have any hard-use based experience with them. However, many feel so well built it's hard to imagine they can't take a beating equal too or worse than any similar production knife.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 115 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Yesterday at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.