Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#108262 - 10/10/07 05:20 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: paramedicpete]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete

How about replacing/supplementing:
the standard military pocket knife with a decent multi-tool
the sponges with one or more micro-fiber towels
the wire splint for a SAM splint
non-aspirin pain/anti-inflammatory meds
duct tape

Thanks Pete,

The multi-tool probably isn't a bad idea, but how much more utility will it really provide on a life raft over the existing knife? What's the probability that at least one of the survivors would already have one?

I'll have to look into the micro-fiber towels and SAM splint.

Non-aspirin med probably would be a good idea. I'll have to contact BUMED to see if there are any shelf-life considerations with acetaminophen, ibruprofen, or naproxen. Aspirin is just less effective if it's old, not dangerous. I'd have to ensure the other wouldn't become dangerous if they're old.

Good ideas, keep them coming...

Tom

#108263 - 10/10/07 05:30 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: TomApple]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Back in the day, when I was stationed at the Coast Guard's boot camp in Cape May, NJ, we would let recruits practice/familiarize themselves with life rafts by inflating a decomissioned 25-man life raft that had been taken out of service. Then the staff would, naturally, play with the "toys". In my experience with many, many out-of-date (some of them well over 5 years past their recertification date) the only problem I recall is dead batteries. Everything else, including the water was usable. So you guys already produce a great product. The switch to CR123s is a good idea.

I would, however, second the suggestions made by paramedicpete, except to suggest keeping the sponges. It's easier to bail that last bit of salt water out of the raft with a sponge. I would also add some sort of medication for chafing and chapping. Constant exposure to salt water combined with the chafing of the raft, even for a couple of hours, is really hard on the skin, especially the elbows and knees.

Keep up the great work.

#108264 - 10/10/07 05:35 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: TomApple]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
GC mass spectrometer tests show volatile organics (from the plastic bottle) to be below measurable levels.

That's after sitting for 10 years. Okay, NOW can we stop the paranoia about chemicals leeching from water bottles? mad

-Blast

Edited by Blast (10/10/07 05:36 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#108266 - 10/10/07 05:46 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: DesertFox]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: DesertFox
The switch to CR123s is a good idea.

In using CR123's, essentially they are only being stored in the life raft for five years. There should be two to three years of shelf-life and most of the charge remaining on the batteries when removed. We could be using up to 15,000 of those batteries a year.

My hope and plan is to be able to reintroduce the batteries in the stock system for sale at the cost of shipping and handling. Perhaps have them put into 100 packs or something. Then the guys in the field would have a supply of good batteries for mere pennies a piece to use in their weapons and tactical flashlights.

It would save them some money, and we would not have to deal with disposing of the batteries. 15,000 batteries is probably a drop in the bucket of what's being used, but the cumulative savings can add up.

My ultimate goal is to increase the survivability of the crew, reduce maintenance costs, and reduce HAZMAT.

Tom

#108268 - 10/10/07 05:57 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: Blast]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
GC mass spectrometer tests show volatile organics (from the plastic bottle) to be below measurable levels.

That's after sitting for 10 years. Okay, NOW can we stop the paranoia about chemicals leeching from water bottles? mad

As long as they are HDPE.

#108269 - 10/10/07 05:58 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: TomApple]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I missed adding some stainless steel wire.

I can think of a dozen or more uses for the multi-tool, especially the pliers and various screwdrivers.

#108271 - 10/10/07 06:02 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: paramedicpete]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would add a couple of simple hats with wide brims and rudimentary sunglasses. At least a couple per raft so those standing watch could more effectively and safely get out from under the canopy and see what is going on.

The hat could be any design that would store compactly and keep the sun off the head and shield the face and neck. A light color and broad brim would be ideal in sunny climates.

The sunglasses could be the simple dark, one-piece, polarized units that are stamped out of single sheet of dark plastic. These are often seen as give-away glasses at opthalmology clinics. Being a single piece of plastic and quite flat when not being worn a few pairs could be slipped in virtually any kit.

You need someone to keep watch if for no other reason than to maintain a sense of purpose and to know when it is best to use the limited supply of flares and markers. Trying to keep watch over water without a decent hat and sunglasses in the tropics is just about futile. The sun bakes your brain and the glare blinds you. Stare into the glare enough and you can seriously harm the eyes. Polarized glasses would also be helpful when fishing because they allow you to see beneath the surface.

Another consideration would be to have a supply of simple light colored bandannas or triangular bandages available. These can be rigged as simple head covers, shields to keep the sun off the neck or face, expedient bandages or tourniquets, lashings for equipment, cleaning cloths, sponges, place mat, or tied into a small sack to help organize small gear.

A cloth as large as a typical non-sterile triangle bandage, about $.25 in bulk, has lots of uses. In my first-aid kit I have replaced some of the gauze rolls and general bandaging materials with a couple of triangle bandages. In a pinch a triangular bandage can still be used as a compress or wrap but it has a lot more potential uses.

#108274 - 10/10/07 06:36 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: TomApple]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi TomApple

Inclusion of a SOLAS Radar reflector may be beneficial.

http://www.sailgb.com/p/solas_radar_reflector_for_lifeboats_and_liferafts/

a liferaft drogue

http://www.sailgb.com/p/liferaft_drogue_mca/

and Canon image stablization binolculars

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10x42-Stabilization-Waterproof-Binoculars/dp/B0007W4IW2

and for each man a Blizzard bag or Survival Jacket

http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/101/blizzard_survival_jacket

Rather than a survival blanket.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/10/07 07:36 PM)

#108275 - 10/10/07 06:39 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: paramedicpete]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

"2 or 3 D-cell flashlight w/ spare batteries and bulbs(ASTM F-1014)."

This is old technology. You could replace this with a lighter, much longer lasting l.e.d. flashlight with hi/lo functions and a strobe. Or a headlamp with the same options.

#108278 - 10/10/07 06:49 PM Re: GEAR: Navy Life Raft Survival Equipment [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A "D" cell LED flashlight that was regulated (AFAIK Maglite D cell LED flashlights are not regulated) probably wouldn't need spare batteries or bulbs.

I'd replace the flashlights with the Underwater Kinetics 4xAA eLED, which is waterproof to 10 meters.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.