Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#112333 - 11/13/07 01:29 AM Has anyone actually eaten Survival Tabs?
CDVXF7 Offline

I'm talking about these: http://www.survivaltabs.com
I have known of them for a long time. Now I'm curious enough to try these. I did a test where I ate 1 mainstay 1200cal bar and 1200cal worth of a Datrex 2400cal ration, for 1 day each.(3 400cal "meals", average work day with moderate physical exertion.) I was alive but tired and hungry at the end of each test. I guess what I'm looking for how did you use the Survival Tabs? As directed? When you used the Survival Tabs as directed were you constantly hungry? Did you feel like you had enough energy? They list the daily calories at 240. Thats a lot less than the average 2000cal a day diet. And less than the 1200cal a day for the Mainstay Ration. The Datrex instructions indicate 800cal a day. I tried to search ETS forums but could not find anything.

Edited by CDVXF7 (11/13/07 03:53 AM)
Edit Reason: Corrected typos and calories eaten in the tests.

#112341 - 11/13/07 02:52 AM Re: Has anyone actually eaten Survival Tabs? [Re: CDVXF7]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Aren't survival tabs supposed to be a supplement to make whatever food you have last longer by providing you with vitamins, minerals, fats and proteins the food you have might not have.

#112349 - 11/13/07 04:19 AM Re: Has anyone actually eaten Survival Tabs? [Re: ]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

These are a usefull option. What they are not is the equal to an MRE, dead moose, fruitcake or Thanksgiving in two weeks. The tab's appeal is more to our psyche than stomach. 'Survival Tabs' fall into the realm of kit that sacrifices performance for minimum wieght or bulk. I am going back to fire hardening my new spear over my ESBIT stove. The annual migration of my favourite survival food is close to getting underway and I have my annual ambush site prepared.

#112350 - 11/13/07 04:58 AM Re: Has anyone actually eaten Survival Tabs? [Re: CDVXF7]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
I have seen them at BQM, but have neglected them as a gimmick. I am highly sceptical, as the human body can in many cases survive for months w/o any food. After reading about the camel jockey, now I am curious. I wonder how they stack up to spirulina tablets.

#112355 - 11/13/07 06:07 AM Re: Has anyone actually eaten Survival Tabs? [Re: TQS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

a military repo ration outfit sells these in a Altoids
style box with some sort of WW2 label..and a refill tube
comes with it..they say something like "survival tabs..as
in keeps you alive but expect to be hungry" or something
like that..i would think if you were in a life raft or
not active in some sort of shelter..basement..cave..??
and had nothing else these would keep you from not
starving as fast as nothing at all..

#112403 - 11/13/07 09:16 PM Re: Has anyone actually eaten Survival Tabs? [Re: CDVXF7]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I have never tried the tablets. I have tried the survival bars and stay hungry because they are so nasty.

#112421 - 11/14/07 12:35 AM Re: Has anyone actually eaten Survival Tabs? [Re: CDVXF7]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Quite a few years ago a friend of mine ate nothing but survival tabs for about a week. If I remember correctly (an ify proposition at best), he said that he was a little bit hungry, but not bad, had enough energy to get by day to day, all in all he said it was a pretty good deal...

#112453 - 11/14/07 04:42 AM I like these rations [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CDVXF7 Offline

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

a military repo ration outfit sells these in a Altoids
style box with some sort of WW2 label..and a refill tube
comes with it..they say something like "survival tabs..as
in keeps you alive but expect to be hungry" or something
like that..i would think if you were in a life raft or
not active in some sort of shelter..basement..cave..??
and had nothing else these would keep you from not
starving as fast as nothing at all..

]Yeah. Thats what got me on this search for some sort of compact ration that is shelf stable at car trunk temperatures (80-100deg)for use in a car BOB or as a light weight backup to regular food while backpacking. That was the WW2 concept behind the emergency rations. A ration that I really liked is the U.S. Military Food Packet Survival General Purpose- Improved. It has good variety. 6 bars. 2 Shortbread bar. 1 Granola bar. 1 cornflake cereal bar. 1 Chocolate chip desert bar. And 1 Wintergreen bar. The Wintergreen bar a 1"x3"x1/2" certs like breath mint. That was the hardest to eat but very refreshing. It also comes with a packet of ice tea and a bouillon packet. Rated at 1147cal total for 5 days. I ate the whole thing in one day. I think the variety made me feel better. They are hard to find. My local gunshow sometimes has 2004 dated ones for $5. Shelf life is 5 years @ 80 deg. They can also be found here: Life Support International but I've never bought from these guys.

Edited by CDVXF7 (11/14/07 05:28 AM)

#112487 - 11/14/07 04:00 PM Re: I like these rations [Re: CDVXF7]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

CDVXF7--very good link to the food pack source--i have seen
these at twice that price and the ones i bought at surplus
stores are always at least 10 years old..

#112488 - 11/14/07 04:09 PM Re: Has anyone actually eaten Survival Tabs? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Quite a few years ago a friend of mine ate nothing but survival tabs for about a week. If I remember correctly (an ify proposition at best), he said that he was a little bit hungry, but not bad, had enough energy to get by day to day, all in all he said it was a pretty good deal...

Hey, OBG. Actually, I remember it being 4 days, but my memory's not all that great, either. Anyway, the tabs weren't bad and I used them during a work week, monitoring my energy level, and I functioned fine without any negative effects. I had planned to do a week, but got tired of eating the same thing, day after day. Plan for variety. BTW, I started out pretty healthy and was about 35 to 37 years old at the time.

Regarding bars, I have tried Mainstay and (lemon, raspberry and vanilla) Millennium and I believe both are good. Millennium gives you variety and this is the best place I have found for them:
http://www.emprep.com/sos%20rations%20energy%20bars.htm

Edited by Basecamp (11/14/07 04:10 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Doug_Ritter), 176 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by brandtb
41 minutes 55 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.